BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Service Appointment Review - Murray Motors Denver

So I just picked up my car from Murray Motors' Service department. I took it in for squeaking front brakes and an interim oil change at 22k.

They are open at 7am, which is great for dropping off and heading to work. After dropping off the car, I was given a loaded 535i to drive for the day. You pay $8 for the rental but aren't required to put any gas in it. The stock of BMW rentals looked pretty solid, mostly 335's as best I could tell. Again, I was there first thing at 7am, so I don't know how that affects what car I was given and what the stock is like.

At 4pm they called and said it would be ready at 5-5:30 (kind of a long day for oil/brakes). They gave me the option to take the loaner home and pick up my car first thing the next day, so I did.

Went in to pick up my car today, not knowing how much the interim oil change was going to cost me as the paperwork I signed when I dropped it off didn't have an estimate (I didn't think about it until I got to work). Turns out when I picked it up today, everything was free. They flushed the brake system, replaced the pads and replaced the microfilter (which I expected to be a warranty/free maintenance items), but the oil change was also free. Is that normal? I was under the impression that everything outside the 15k interval costs $150 or so. Or is it 15k or annually, which ever comes first? Makes sense in hindsight that the estimate at drop off did not have pricing.

Overall, very impressed with Murray and will be going back for all my service/warranty needs. The service department is not as fancy as I expected given the fancy new car sales office they built fairly recently and what I am used to taking the wife's Lexus in for service. Not that big of a deal though since I am there for a total of about 10min...rather have nice loaners than a fancy service office.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know that you are entitled to both a yearly (or low mileage oil change as they call it) oil change and one based off the CBS.

So, in the worst (or best?) case scenaro, lets say you have had the car for a year, and you take it in to get the oil changed for free. Then a month later the CBS says you need an oil change, you would also get that one for free, because they arent supposed to reset the CBS when they do the low mileage oil change.

Also, thanks for the review on Murray. I bought my car there, and was most likely going to take it there for service.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I know that you are entitled to both a yearly (or low mileage oil change as they call it) oil change and one based off the CBS.

So, in the worst (or best?) case scenaro, lets say you have had the car for a year, and you take it in to get the oil changed for free. Then a month later the CBS says you need an oil change, you would also get that one for free, because they arent supposed to reset the CBS when they do the low mileage oil change.

Also, thanks for the review on Murray. I bought my car there, and was most likely going to take it there for service.
yea, that makes sense. My service adviser said they changed the oil but wouldn't reset the service indicator so its due again at 30k....but ill probably put another 12 months on before that point anyway.

So if you drive your car a lot, that's when you pay for oil changes? For example, I hit 22k miles in 6 months, I would pay for that change, then get the 30k for free? But because its been a full year since my last when I hit 22k, its free?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
yea, that makes sense. My service adviser said they changed the oil but wouldn't reset the service indicator so its due again at 30k....but ill probably put another 12 months on before that point anyway.

So if you drive your car a lot, that's when you pay for oil changes? For example, I hit 22k miles in 6 months, I would pay for that change, then get the 30k for free? But because its been a full year since my last when I hit 22k, its free?
I don't think so. If you drive alot, yearly low mileage changes probalby won't ever come up, because all the changes will be based off the CBS.

So, given the above example, the opposite isnt true. You only get the yearly low mileage change for free if you go a whole year since your last oil change and *before* the CBS tells you that you need a change. If the CBS kicked in and said you were due before your year was up, you couldn't take it back in at the year mark and get a free oil change.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I don't think so. If you drive alot, yearly low mileage changes probalby won't ever come up, because all the changes will be based off the CBS.

So, given the above example, the opposite isnt true. You only get the yearly low mileage change for free if you go a whole year since your last oil change and *before* the CBS tells you that you need a change. If the CBS kicked in and said you were due before your year was up, you couldn't take it back in at the year mark and get a free oil change.
Yea, youre right, sorry, should have mentioned that in that example, you dont like the 15k interval and change every 7500. Essentially, get your free change at 15k, drive it a ton in 6months, hit 22k and want a change...wont be free.

I assume the free maintenance is like the warranty, has a 3yr expiration on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

I made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 0800. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

I actually had to take mine back yesterday because it was leaking oil....but apparently they were just messy and had enough spillage in the engine bay to create an 8" puddle in my garage....they took it right it in and looked at it though so I was happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

The 15k mile scope and oil change was fairly quick - had it back within an hour-ish. Since I took the day off, I didn't really have much to do - I did sit in the CPO X6 and 750Li though. To me, the X6 is nice but would be a waste of money and the 750Li would require a chauffeur because this is the long version.

The only rant I have was that it started pouring rain on my way home, so the post-service wash was good for only 10 minutes. Stupid nature. Oh and the tornado warning siren scared my dog, so she pissed on my carpet - thought I'd throw that in.
Appreciate 0