BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
mhouck
Rep
Drives: VW Golf TDI

Peeling Plastic.....

Took an 07 X3 for a test drive and first thing I noticed (cosmetically) was the steering wheel has the same issue as my VW Golf!
The rubber coating on certain plastics were peeling and unsightly. Something I would not expect in a BMW. Is this an issue in all models, or only certain models?

Otherwise loved the vehicle!

Also, any comments on the leatherette versus real leather??

Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
chull
Rep
Drives: 135i, MX5, 325iT, X3 - all MT

My plastic is peeling, as well

I have the same problem on much of my interior on my 2004 X3.

Here's an incomplete list of peeling plastic:

Steering wheel
Dashtop/console storage bin button
Cupholder
Center Console (basically all the flat painted stuff rearward of the texture around the gear lever)
Rear ashtray (sorry: ashtrayish flipout power outlet)

I am about to pop the steering wheel cover off and repaint it. This is really tacky with the white plastic showing through in 5 or so places. My wife is so annoyed she even searched for a replacement piece, but at $300-$500 for a bit of plastic (BMW wants you to buy a new steering wheel; used wasn't much better) she didn't bite on the replacement.

Maybe someday I will try to repaint the other bits, but it is only black plastic showing through dark gray paint on those - not as offensive. Luckily, the top console bin itself and the instrument pod surround cover are not touched, so they have not chipped.

I can definitely see how the interior is vastly inferior to that of our E46 325iT. Both have about 70K miles (the 325 is 5 years older) and both have been hauling babies/toddlers/kids around for most of their life. but the E46 interior is unmarred save for a single broken speaker surround. The X3 has this peeling paint and the seatbacks are scratched and the running boards are scratched and the plastic around rear hatch is scratched.

Note that the X3 is built by Magna Steyr, which also builds the European versions of many Chryslers, including the Voyager, 300C, Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee. Although this quality may be acceptable to the average Chrylser customer, it is unexpected for a BMW (this was my 4th).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

the issue isn't with the manufacturer. my wife's old 330xi (E90) had the same problems around different areas (passenger door interior handle and a couple of other areas). don't blame Magna for the build quality. they take the parts BMW supplies them and assembles the car.

it's a crappy finish that BMW has used on various models.

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
mhouck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chull View Post
I have the same problem on much of my interior on my 2004 X3.

Here's an incomplete list of peeling plastic:

Steering wheel
Dashtop/console storage bin button
Cupholder
Center Console (basically all the flat painted stuff rearward of the texture around the gear lever)
Rear ashtray (sorry: ashtrayish flipout power outlet)

I am about to pop the steering wheel cover off and repaint it. This is really tacky with the white plastic showing through in 5 or so places. My wife is so annoyed she even searched for a replacement piece, but at $300-$500 for a bit of plastic (BMW wants you to buy a new steering wheel; used wasn't much better) she didn't bite on the replacement.

Maybe someday I will try to repaint the other bits, but it is only black plastic showing through dark gray paint on those - not as offensive. Luckily, the top console bin itself and the instrument pod surround cover are not touched, so they have not chipped.

I can definitely see how the interior is vastly inferior to that of our E46 325iT. Both have about 70K miles (the 325 is 5 years older) and both have been hauling babies/toddlers/kids around for most of their life. but the E46 interior is unmarred save for a single broken speaker surround. The X3 has this peeling paint and the seatbacks are scratched and the running boards are scratched and the plastic around rear hatch is scratched.

Note that the X3 is built by Magna Steyr, which also builds the European versions of many Chryslers, including the Voyager, 300C, Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee. Although this quality may be acceptable to the average Chrylser customer, it is unexpected for a BMW (this was my 4th).
Ended up purchasing an 2008. It has been detailed and there is an area where the peeling plastic has been touched up. I would like to find out what they used as it did a very nice job!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

They replaced my steering wheel cover and drivers door switch cover under warranty when I bought mine last weekend.
      06-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
mhouck
Rep

mudflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
They replaced my steering wheel cover and drivers door switch cover under warranty when I bought mine last weekend.
Nice. A good dealer I presume...

Saw you were looking for mud flaps.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=310877
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck View Post
Nice. A good dealer I presume...

Saw you were looking for mud flaps.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=310877
Great dealer, but they said they were both a warranty item and were covered.

Thanks for the mud flaps. I think I will wrap the entire lower half of the car in 3M clear film instead to keep the clean look.
      06-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
mhouck
Rep

Quote:
Great dealer, but they said they were both a warranty item and were covered.

Thanks for the mud flaps. I think I will wrap the entire lower half of the car in 3M clear film instead to keep the clean look.
Good idea to keep the clean look. Living in Alberta, stone chips are brutal, so I think I'm going to go ahead with the utilitarian look....
Your G650 sounds nice. I have a F650 Funduro and a KLR....(that will one day be replaced with a BMW...)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck View Post
Good idea to keep the clean look. Living in Alberta, stone chips are brutal, so I think I'm going to go ahead with the utilitarian look....
Your G650 sounds nice. I have a F650 Funduro and a KLR....(that will one day be replaced with a BMW...)
Yes, it is sweet. You should come to our ride this summer in August.
http://loosescrew.dualsportbc.com/

06-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
mhouck
Rep

Quote:

Hey, looks fun.
Here is my ride. May have to make a trip...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
mhouck
Rep

Quote:

Forgot the Funduro...
She is much nicer on the highway...
(Yes I know this is an X3 site, but I couldn't resist...)
Attached Images

Last edited by mhouck; 06-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Attached photo
Appreciate 0