Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Hankook V12's

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW

Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Hankook V12's

Hello,

I am pretty new here and have only had my 08 E90 w/sports pkg for about 2 months. The front drives side tire has a slow leak and I am thinking about replacing all tires with non-RFT. I have read several threads here and have narrowed it down to the following:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS or
Hankook V12's

Which do you think is better or do you think I should go with something else?
Also, what should I do with the old tires?

Thanks!

Last edited by rubdom; 04-15-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
kramerica72
word.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI

I'm sure that there are fans here for both tires. I have the Hankook's on my E90 and love them so far--quiet, and amazing in the rain. Night and day after replacing the RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica72 View Post
I'm sure that there are fans here for both tires. I have the Hankook's on my E90 and love them so far--quiet, and amazing in the rain. Night and day after replacing the RFT's.
Thanks! The Hankooks are a little less at the moment. What do I do with the old tires? Any suggestions? Should I just let the shop "dispose" of them?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
I have the extremes and they hold up pretty well for daily driving. All though w bmws camber in the rear, they dont last as long as the fronts do. But if i was you, i would try to recoop some of the money for the new ones, by sellin the old ones. Good luck either way

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
kramerica72
word.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI

What do I do with the old tires? Any suggestions? Should I just let the shop "dispose" of them?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what shape they are in. You could sell them/keep them if decent. if not, pay the couple of bucks to the shop for disposal. A lot easier than trying to get rid of them yourself...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
hankook is currently offering $50 rebate if you buy 4 tires, something worth considering...
      04-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I just saw the rebate so it makes it even better. The old tires are in pretty good shape with the exception of the slow leak. I will probably sell the old tires on craigslist or post them here maybe (although nobody here would probably want RFT)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
herro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4x4

I just bought a set of ContiExtreme DWS tires - great reviews on Tire Rack (including best performance in light snow conditions vs other all-season tires)

It also didn't hurt that it weighed the least vs comparable Michelins and Bridgestones
      04-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
MCC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

For what it is worth...I have a 335xi sport pack came with rft potenzas from dealer they were noisy and hard riding but had good grip and good steering reponse imo. I drive my car in the winter so I switched to goodyear eagle f1 all season..these were very very noisey and once worn in vibrated terribly at 22mph. I then went to the dws continentals...I have 7,000 miles on them and there is another 7,000 left on the back and about 5,000 on the fronts due to the camber (inside wearing out). They are soft riding and quiet but they have soft steering response and grip on the dry is not as good as the other two tires...Also the dws are better in the snow than the eagles..

In Conclusion...

Potenzas
Great reponse
Noisy
Great Grip(dry)
no snow
fronts only 6k

Gdyr Eagle f1
Great response
very Noisy
Great grip (dry)
ok in snow
fronts only 8k

Cntnl dws
Soft response(understeer?)
quiet
ok-good grip (dry)
great in snow(for an all season)
front should get 12-13k

It was worth the compromise at least for me to sacrifice the performance for the civility and snow worthiness. Sorry i have no experience with the hancooks.

Last edited by MCC; 04-15-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
surprise
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubdom View Post
Hello,
I have read several threads here and have narrowed it down to the following:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS or
Hankook V12's
This is an apples to oranges comparison. DWS' are an all-season tire, the V12's are a summer tire. The choice is more of a choice of tire type than tire. Are you looking for a 40+ degree tire or are you looking for an all weather (but no deep snow and ice) tire? Note that you will sacrifice ultimate handling, initial turn in feel and high heat sustainability with the Conti for a smoother ride, increase tire life, and better low temp and snow traction. A better comparison would be the Conti Extreme DW if you want a summer tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise View Post
This is an apples to oranges comparison. DWS' are an all-season tire, the V12's are a summer tire. The choice is more of a choice of tire type than tire. Are you looking for a 40+ degree tire or are you looking for an all weather (but no deep snow and ice) tire? Note that you will sacrifice ultimate handling, initial turn in feel and high heat sustainability with the Conti for a smoother ride, increase tire life, and better low temp and snow traction. A better comparison would be the Conti Extreme DW if you want a summer tire.
Didn't think of that. I do live in San Antonio and it rarely gets below 40 degrees here and maybe 2-3 days of snow/ice per year. We have many days above 90+ degrees. I think based on that the smarter choice would be the V12's since I want to keep the handling. I am worried about tread life though. About how long do you think the V12's will last? I drive mostly normal with the occasional outburst of, shall we say "spirit".
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise View Post
+1 different types of tires, depends on your location or if you have winter set ups. If your too lazy to change wheels/tires on days where it's close to snow; i'd go with the all seasons. if you don't mind switching around when weather is undecided go with v12's. Also another difference between the two is tread wear, the cont's will last longer; but won't offer as good grip as the v12s
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
I've been running on Conti DWS for around 4k miles and love them
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Correct, these two tires are very different front each other.

Are you wanting handling/grip and steering response to be maximized, or looking for a quieter and softer riding all season tire?

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Correct, these two tires are very different front each other.

Are you wanting handling/grip and steering response to be maximized, or looking for a quieter and softer riding all season tire?

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp
My decision was made for me by the availability of the tire. I tried to order Conti's from TireRack today and was told there was a 60 to 90 day wait on the DWS. Also the Hankook's are back ordered for at least a week. I finally went to discount tire and they are able to get the Hankooks here by Monday.

My stock RFT is so bad it only holds air for about 30 mins so I need to get these quickly. Gary, if you can get me some DWS's quickly I will order them today
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

I have both tires. I'd say it really depends on what type of driving you do. If you want a compliant daily driver tire that lasts a while, get the DWSs. If you are looking for something more performance oriented get the hankooks. DWSs look like they'll last me 30,000 miles, maybe more. Hankooks look like they'll last 15,000-20,000.
      04-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
My decision was made for me by the availability of the tire. I tried to order Conti's from TireRack today and was told there was a 60 to 90 day wait on the DWS. Also the Hankook's are back ordered for at least a week. I finally went to discount tire and they are able to get the Hankooks here by Monday.

My stock RFT is so bad it only holds air for about 30 mins so I need to get these quickly. Gary, if you can get me some DWS's quickly I will order them today
Unfortunately, right now getting the DWS quickly is more difficult than saving social security.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, right now getting the DWS quickly is more difficult than saving social security.
      04-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
lmao!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ha ha.

I was planning on getting the DWS, but saw that they were backordered. Bummer, but oh well. I ended up ordering the Hankook's - great price and with an additional $50 rebate - you can't beat it! Given the response from many others on this board, I know I'll be happy with 'em. I can't wait to get rid of the RFTs!

Ordered through the link in your signature Gary and also put Gary/E90post in the referral box. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
rubdom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
Ha ha.

I was planning on getting the DWS, but saw that they were backordered. Bummer, but oh well. I ended up ordering the Hankook's - great price and with an additional $50 rebate - you can't beat it! Given the response from many others on this board, I know I'll be happy with 'em. I can't wait to get rid of the RFTs!

Ordered through the link in your signature Gary and also put Gary/E90post in the referral box. Thanks!
How did you get the them?
I tried to get the Hankook's and DWS's at TireRack and they were out of stock on both with no ETA on the DWS's and like 1-2 weeks out on the Hankook's.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #22
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

Quote:
How did you get the them?
I tried to get the Hankook's and DWS's at TireRack and they were out of stock on both with no ETA on the DWS's and like 1-2 weeks out on the Hankook's.
they said low stock when i ordered i think last night a midnight so maybe me and a couple others picked up the last remaining pairs??

BTW how did you get 50 off ?? u bought 4? i only bought 2 for the rears...17.5k and the rears are almost GONE.... 1k more and i may see some metal...