Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > RFT's strike again

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

RFT's strike again

This weekend, I went on a roadtrip to remote areas that included a very straight, well-maintained, near-deserted stretch of road. I saw that as an opportunity to take my snow tires off and put my speed-rated Bridgestone RFT's back on. I pumped them up to 42 psi each, and proceeded to run an indicated 150 mph (142 on GPS)- the fastest I've ever driven.

Two days later (today), I'm almost home and get a tire warning light. I continue to drive in the slow lane for 3-4 more miles and pull off at the next off-ramp. It turns out there is a huge gash in my tires. In the few miles I've driven on them, nearly 1/4" of tread has worn off the tire near the gash! The only place open where I pulled off was a Wal Mart, and they didn't have a suitable replacement tire. I was luckily within 30 minutes of home (sparsely populated state), and was fortunate enough to have a friend with a key to my house bring me one of my snow tires.

Now, I do appreciate that I had total control of the car, and didn't have to change the tire freeway side, but if I had been less lucky I would've been stranded until a tire could be ordered in the worst case, or would've had to pay $3-400 for a new tire in the best case. If I had a spare, I would've just driven home and bought a new $130 tire at TireRack.

I appreciate the benefits of RFT's, but they simply are NOT a replacement for a spare, and they are WAY too expensive, and therefore hard-to-find, for a tire with thicker sidewalls. I could take or leave the RFT's, but BMW definitely needs to put the spare and tool kit back in the 3-series. Most people who buy these cars simply can't afford to be stranded.

Now that I'm home, I just ordered four new Hankook V12's from TireRack for less than 1/2 the price comparable Pilot Sport RFT's would've cost me. I'll buy a jack and just throw a snow tire in the trunk on road-trips from now on. Sure would be nice if there was some other place to store my spare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0