E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Weird rattle at engine shut off

11-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
sablemagus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i sedan

Weird rattle at engine shut off

Hi guys,

This may have been posted before (and I didn't know which forum to post this in), but I couldn't find it and I can't use a search engine to safe my life 90% of the time, so I'm hoping someone can either (hopefully) answer or please direct me to where I can find an answer.

Okay, with that said, my car is fairly new -- I got it in September and it has just over 3000 miles. Over the past week or so, when I shut the engine off (could've been running 3 minutes or 3 hours, doesn't matter) there's this rattling sound that comes from just in front of the driver's door, between the wheel well and the door, but obviously from underneath the car somewhere. It only lasts for a half second, as the engine does its couple of lazy revs as it's shutting off, but I don't think it's the engine itself making the noise. I've only heard this sound once before, on a 2000 Porsche Boxster S, but in that car, it sounds as if it's coming from the engine itself. My mother drives the Porsche and nobody at her dealership has noticed or said anything when she's serviced it and it seems to be running fine (70,000 says so), so I'm wondering -- is this just normal for some cars? I don't know anyone else with an e90 to ask.

This is kind of disconcerting, and I can't get an appointment for them to look at it until the end of this week at the earliest, so I'm really hoping someone here will know what the deal is. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
sablemagus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i sedan

Nevermind! I did a search again using some different terms and I found an answer. Apparently my problem is the dreaded "death rattle" which afflicts manual transmission models, although the other thread I found spoke of it in the context of the 335i coupe and not the 328i.

(would've just deleted the thread but I wasn't sure how)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
clutch in...engine off....no death rattle....
in the future, go to "edit" and then delete your post....unless your just a post-count whore....