Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Getting new wheels mounted

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Question Getting new wheels mounted

I'm planning on buying some aftermarket wheels to replace the Style 162 wheels that will come with the car, and I want to keep and transfer the stock tires to the new wheels. Assume that I purchase the new wheels via mail order. What kind of shop do I need to visit to get the tires transfered and the new wheels installed? Does a normal tire shop suffice? Will I need the car realigned?

Any recommendations of an appropriate shop in San Diego, CA, would be especially appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
I'm planning on buying some aftermarket wheels to replace the Style 162 wheels that will come with the car, and I want to keep and transfer the stock tires to the new wheels. Assume that I purchase the new wheels via mail order. What kind of shop do I need to visit to get the tires transfered and the new wheels installed? Does a normal tire shop suffice? Will I need the car realigned?

Any recommendations of an appropriate shop in San Diego, CA, would be especially appreciated.

You don't need to go to any special shops at all, any regular wheel and tire place can do it. Some shops however have older tools and 18" and above wheels and tires are difficult for them to do and they end up scratching the wheels.

So I would call ahead and ask them if they are able to do 18" wheels and if they have soft touch machines to do the mounting.

Also for balancing of the wheels (so you won't get any new shimmys) ask them to very specific with their balancing, usually if you ask them, they realize your not just another schmuck and they will do a better job.

You definatly do not need a new alignment, don't let anyone tell you otherwise (assuming your car is new and the car is in alignment now)

Can't help you with the west coast shop recommendations tho, i'm on the east, maybee another member knows some places ?
      08-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
discount tires location mounts 18 +
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question Lug nuts

Thanks, longtran. I'll check out Discount Tire.

Now what about lug nuts? Do aftermarket wheels usually come with a new set, or do I just buy those from the place that mounts the wheels?

Backing up a bit, if I'm selling the wheels that came with the car, should I sell them with the lug nuts, or keep those for my next wheels and force the buyer to find a new set of nuts, so to speak?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
Thanks, longtran. I'll check out Discount Tire.

Now what about lug nuts? Do aftermarket wheels usually come with a new set, or do I just buy those from the place that mounts the wheels?

Backing up a bit, if I'm selling the wheels that came with the car, should I sell them with the lug nuts, or keep those for my next wheels and force the buyer to find a new set of nuts, so to speak?
usually you would sell stock wheels without the lugs, because presumably the new buyer has the lugs from his stock wheels, and round and round the circle goes
      08-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Swapping center caps

Speaking of circles going around, my next question concerns swapping center caps. I'm not sure if I'll leave the center caps on the new wheels (the BBS caps are pretty nice too) or change them out for BMW roundels, but if I did want to change them, do they have to be swapped with the wheels off the car? That is, do the caps have to be pushed off from the back, or can they be pulled off from the front with the wheels on the car?

The answer determines whether I'd need to have the alternate center caps in hand before mounting the new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
Speaking of circles going around, my next question concerns swapping center caps. I'm not sure if I'll leave the center caps on the new wheels (the BBS caps are pretty nice too) or change them out for BMW roundels, but if I did want to change them, do they have to be swapped with the wheels off the car? That is, do the caps have to be pushed off from the back, or can they be pulled off from the front with the wheels on the car?

The answer determines whether I'd need to have the alternate center caps in hand before mounting the new wheels.
easier/cleaner to push from the back.. can be pryed off from the front
      05-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #8
chongki
Anyaketdin!
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90

Is it ok to use the original bolts that came with the car when installing aftermarket rims? It seems that the bolt that attaches to the car is shorter on the aftermarket rims than the stock rims.