E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Africa > I hate Auto Atlantic! Help, need a reputable tech in Cape Town

02-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I hate Auto Atlantic! Help, need a reputable tech in Cape Town

Hey everyone. I've never posted in the regional sub-forum before and actually haven't posted on e90 in a looooong time. Anyways, I'm actually from the US, but recently relocated to Cape Town. In that time, I bought a '02 525i (havin a baby, needed something practical) a while back. I can't find a e39 SA forum with any kind of decent following and I desperately need some help finding a good shop so I cam back home to e90post.

At the end of Dec last year, the car began overheating. What a nice Christmas present huh? I took it to Auto Atlantic in Cape Town city center. Little did I know, that place is absolutely clueless. To make a very long story short, over a 6 week period the car had to return 4 times for the overheating problem!! Every time, they diagnosed the problem as something different. The most recent trip, it's now been determined, the car has a blown head gasket. Note, the car was not driven while overheating. The car was parked and towed.

Prior to the overheating, the car had no issues and was running strong. I'm sure their inability to properly diagnose the true source of the overheating led to the head gasket issue. How can I prove this? I feel Auto Atlantic should repair the damage to heads now and likely to cylinders at their cost. They of course are taking NO responsibility!!

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited by Maximus Decimus; 02-15-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
I use the Forsdicks Service branch for work on my E90. Never had hassles. As for the cost for repairs, I cannot assist you unfortunately, but good luck for getting it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Menno, is there a particular service rep that you can recommend. A neighbor mentioned to me a guy named Albert or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
There are a number of different Forsdicks branches. I use the garage in Tygervalley, not sure what the person's name is there though...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
vanHunks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d

BMW independent mechanics in Cape Town

I've used Mech 5 in Gardens for several years, for a wide variety of cars including an M3 , two M5s and various diesels, and have always been happy to return to them.
Appreciate 0