E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Finally Happened-HPFP.....

02-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 335i xdrive

Finally Happened-HPFP.....

Well it happened, 4 months tomorrow I picked up my '10 335ix and as a gift I will be getting a brand new HPFP. This one made it 4500 miles, I guess I should be lucky it made it this far.

'14 F30 335i X-Drive, Sport line, Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

ouch that sucks! sorry to hear about it!

still makes me mad that BMW hasnt developed a solid fix for this issue
      02-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Damn they need to just recall all of them or redesign the system, if you did not like the car, wait until the 3rd and check for lemon law.

I mean all I have been reading lately is these HPFP issues, Makes me kind of happy I have the elcheapo 06 325xi.

PS sorry to hear as well
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, like everyone else i dont understand why they can not come up with a solution. But, I am more upset that when my car was being unloaded off the flatbed, the eff'ing truck driver stratched the sh*t out of both side of my front bumper. So, I now need to deal with BMW assist on who is going to pay for the damage. I'm pissed that i even need to deal with this.......oh well.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Man...the scratches would have thrown me over the edge. Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

Out of curiousity, would you post the part number of the bad HPFP removed from the system and well as the new one installed. It will be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
when i first read this i almost thought you sounded excited.

anyways sorry that it happened to you i sware its this crapy US gas that is doing it. if only we had euro spec gas
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'v already discussed with the dealer and they said they need to install the pump ending in 881. They gave me the excuse that BMW will only allow them to install the 881 pump unitl they deplete their inventory of the "old" pumps before they install the "new" pumps, blah, blah, blah. The service rep acknowledged my fustration, but he said he is at the mercy of BMW. I'm getting tired of explaining to everyone, how my 4 month old car is already in the shop. Well, hopefully I get my car back before the snow storm headed our way hits.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stags00 View Post
I'v already discussed with the dealer and they said they need to install the pump ending in 881. They gave me the excuse that BMW will only allow them to install the 881 pump unitl they deplete their inventory of the "old" pumps before they install the "new" pumps, blah, blah, blah. The service rep acknowledged my fustration, but he said he is at the mercy of BMW. I'm getting tired of explaining to everyone, how my 4 month old car is already in the shop. Well, hopefully I get my car back before the snow storm headed our way hits.
I'm glad it was at least discussed; big props to your service manager for speaking the truth.....I wished my dealer was that cool. Tell him he owes you one.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

oh well. You get a new pump and move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thats kinda the approach i am taking.....

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

I logged my complaint to the NHTSA, every bit helps i hope. I really do love my car like everyone here, but this is crazy. All i can do is shake my head

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
BMW isn't going to eat the cost of all the 881 HPFPs in the parts network. They'll replace them on customer cars when they go bad with the 943 pump and then the next model HPFPs after the 943, when the 943 pumps fail.

The situation is a safety issue and a disgrace IMO. I hope when enough BMW owners file safety complaints at NHTSA.gov they finally force a recall of all x35i models for a proper fix to the outrageous HPFP failures that have continued for four model years. It may take personal injuries or deaths before BMW properly fixes these cars?
This is a PR disaster for BMW and they should remove the 881 pumps from inventory and send them back to the OEM who supplied them. Obviously this assumes the 943 pumps are any better, which they may not be otherwise BMW would be reacting more swiftly to get these into cars.

As far as NHTSA complaints, there are many already. Visit here and search 07, 08, 09 - 135, 335, 535 and you'll find plenty. Some people didn't exactly file them correctly so you'll need to click some of the general Fuel/Engine related categories when reading complaints.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fectsearch.cfm

I suppose NHTSA is waiting for a complaint where someone indicates bodily injury or death before they act. So typical and absurd!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I logged my complaint to the NHTSA, every bit helps i hope. I really do love my car like everyone here, but this is crazy. All i can do is shake my head
What happened to the bumper? That would upset me more than the friggin fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

I watched my car being loaded onto the flatbed, no problems. We get to the dealer and i go inside to check in and speak to the SA. The porter comes in and tells me my front bumper has pretty good scratches on both sides of the bumper. Now, i had just washed my car the previous day, plus i am a car guy and i would have noticed them. I go outside to check and sure enough i can see them from 10 feet away, the look great on a black sapphire car. It could have only been from when they unloaded my car. I go back inside and tell the SA, he says i need to call BMW Assist since they deal with the towing company. I immediately call them from the dealer and file a complaint. They apparently need to do an investigation. Trust me, I am much more pissed about this than the fuel pump. I knew what i was getting into when I purchased the car.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I watched my car being loaded onto the flatbed, no problems. We get to the dealer and i go inside to check in and speak to the SA. The porter comes in and tells me my front bumper has pretty good scratches on both sides of the bumper. Now, i had just washed my car the previous day, plus i am a car guy and i would have noticed them. I go outside to check and sure enough i can see them from 10 feet away, the look great on a black sapphire car. It could have only been from when they unloaded my car. I go back inside and tell the SA, he says i need to call BMW Assist since they deal with the towing company. I immediately call them from the dealer and file a complaint. They apparently need to do an investigation. Trust me, I am much more pissed about this than the fuel pump. I knew what i was getting into when I purchased the car.
Stags,

I agree the scratches are are the heart killer plus paint and exterior, but this is the overall point of "cause and effect". Everytime someone says....oh..well...if your fuel pump goes out, you'll just stay in limp mode safely on the way to the service center. Well, when your car feels like it's going to break-apart because it's a spaceship re-entering orbit or it does indeed stall...which can happen...then the tow truck shows up. Geeezzz, I've been towed twice; it kills me to watch it get lifted. Now I ask myself, Why did the car have to get towed....THE FUEL PUMP. BMW NA does not account for collateral damage...or me missing my flight because I stalled.When the fuel pump goes out again, think of that. The fuel pump is a design failure as far as I am concerned and it costs extra to plan on the breakdown. I am just saying; if the flaw did not exist, you don't need a tow.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
Stags00
Enlisted Member
Rep

I agree with you LagMode335i. The towing company called me yesterday and of course pushed back that they caused the damage. I told the guy to listen, I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but it happend while it was being unloaded and i just want the damaged repaired. He agreed to meet with me and check it out, if he still pushes back, I will be placing yet another call to BMW and outlining your argument you stated above, cause and effect

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I agree with you LagMode335i. The towing company called me yesterday and of course pushed back that they caused the damage. I told the guy to listen, I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but it happend while it was being unloaded and i just want the damaged repaired. He agreed to meet with me and check it out, if he still pushes back, I will be placing yet another call to BMW and outlining your argument you stated above, cause and effect
Did BMW Assist contract with this towing co.? I'd say they should straighten it out via the dealership. I had that happen to me before, in the days pre-camera phone. My Volvo was towed 80 mph on the rear wheels, and the truck was a flatbed with nothing on it. Sure enough, when the tranny was burnt out, the towing co. said they didn't do it, the car was flatbed'd (bold-faced lie). Since AAA also said they are not responsible, and the Volvo was towed to a salvage yard for repairs, I told the guy to drop the tranny off at AAA so they could look at it. They did--right near the office entrance. I even called the mgr. there to see if he had a chance to look at it yet (he responded with a barrage of 4-letter words and my membership was suspended). I used to be bold when I was in college, life was fun back then.

I hate to say it, but we're often f'd so we might as well do what we can to retaliate. In my case, I needed AAA to acknowledge the improper towing, and they would not. Here, hopefully assist does just that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It will be a miracle of CS if BMW Assist (or BMW) do anything about the bumper issue. They're likely going to tell you the towing company is an independent. No different than if the dealer damages your car and refuses to fix it/denies it. Good luck and keep us informed.

You may be able to find paint evidence on the truck bed if you can find the same truck.

I know this is a little hindsight here, but in the future never leave your car unattended with a towing operator. Stand there for loading and unloading. Watch how the strap it down too. You cannot just assume they are knowledgeable of their job.
Appreciate 0