E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > dealership is refusing to fix car. need your guys advice

02-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Exclamation dealership is refusing to fix car. need your guys advice

hey guys some of you already know..my car has been at the dealership since the beginning of November. I took it in because i was getting long cranks an a rattle. Well about 7 weeks later before the year had ended i got my car back and they fixed the rattle by replacing the turbos and replaced some wires which were apparently chewed up by a rodent. They also stated how there are some loose and missing screws in the engine which they had tightened back up.

I picked up my car that week and drove it around and started going into limp mode occasionally. So i thought no biggie, they probably just didn't fix the hpfp or whatever it could be. So i take it in the same week and they didn't find the problem. They said that they supposedly fixed it but when i got the car back the week after, it was still the same, but now it was even worse. I was going into limp mode all the time now. I took it in again and it stayed there for several weeks and when i got it back it still wasn't fixed.

And just my last visit, which was a few weeks ago the car had stayed there for almost about 2 weeks. They called me back 2 weeks later and told me that they had resolved the problem. The battery terminal nut was loose or something cause my car to have long cranks and go into failsafe mode. I drove the car around for a week and this weekend my car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road, there were cars behind me that were trying to dodge me etc etc, it was really scary. I tried to restart my car but it just would not turn on. I finally managed to turn it on though and it would go a couple yards and just turn off. But this time the car was always in this limp mode. I somehow got the car to my house and parked it in the garage. I left it in there for the weekend since the dealers were closed and just on monday i had to get the car to the dealers..i got my car there somehow going like 15mph and having my car turn off on my about 4 or 5 times.

I asked my SA if i can take the shop foreman on a ride to show him what is wrong with the car. I take him for a ride and he said just drop the car off and well get it handled.

Well today i get a call from them and they are refusing to fix my car. They think that I have tampered with the car because there are loose screws in the engine bay. I told them that i will come to the dealer to see what's going on because i couldn't talk on the phone at the time. This is ridiculous because i haven't even touched the screws since they last tightened it (not that i ever have). I cannot believe this, and have no idea what to do. They expect that after 3 months they can just suddenly refuse to fix this problem, especially when the car does not run anymore. They don't even have any proof of any engine modifications, not that there were ever any. This is just wrong and i need your guys help on what to do and what to tell them. I don't want to go to the dealership and just explode on them. I mean, if they dont see any modifications or any proof of any, they can't just refuse to fix the car.

Sorry for the extremely long post and your guys help is very appreciate.
Thanks.
      02-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

weren't you going to get a lemon law lawyer?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
hey guys some of you already know..my car has been at the dealership since the beginning of November. I took it in because i was getting long cranks an a rattle. Well about 7 weeks later before the year had ended i got my car back and they fixed the rattle by replacing the turbos and replaced some wires which were apparently chewed up by a rodent. They also stated how there are some loose and missing screws in the engine which they had tightened back up.

I picked up my car that week and drove it around and started going into limp mode occasionally. So i thought no biggie, they probably just didn't fix the hpfp or whatever it could be. So i take it in the same week and they didn't find the problem. They said that they supposedly fixed it but when i got the car back the week after, it was still the same, but now it was even worse. I was going into limp mode all the time now. I took it in again and it stayed there for several weeks and when i got it back it still wasn't fixed.

And just my last visit, which was a few weeks ago the car had stayed there for almost about 2 weeks. They called me back 2 weeks later and told me that they had resolved the problem. The battery terminal nut was loose or something cause my car to have long cranks and go into failsafe mode. I drove the car around for a week and this weekend my car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road, there were cars behind me that were trying to dodge me etc etc, it was really scary. I tried to restart my car but it just would not turn on. I finally managed to turn it on though and it would go a couple yards and just turn off. But this time the car was always in this limp mode. I somehow got the car to my house and parked it in the garage. I left it in there for the weekend since the dealers were closed and just on monday i had to get the car to the dealers..i got my car there somehow going like 15mph and having my car turn off on my about 4 or 5 times.

I asked my SA if i can take the shop foreman on a ride to show him what is wrong with the car. I take him for a ride and he said just drop the car off and well get it handled.

Well today i get a call from them and they are refusing to fix my car. They think that I have tampered with the car because there are loose screws in the engine bay. I told them that i will come to the dealer to see what's going on because i couldn't talk on the phone at the time. This is ridiculous because i haven't even touched the screws since they last tightened it (not that i ever have). I cannot believe this, and have no idea what to do. They expect that after 3 months they can just suddenly refuse to fix this problem, especially when the car does not run anymore. They don't even have any proof of any engine modifications, not that there were ever any. This is just wrong and i need your guys help on what to do and what to tell them. I don't want to go to the dealership and just explode on them. I mean, if they dont see any modifications or any proof of any, they can't just refuse to fix the car.

Sorry for the extremely long post and your guys help is very appreciate.
Thanks.
"They also stated how there are some loose and missing screws in the engine which they had tightened back up."

You know that paper you get from having your car fixed? If it says they did that work on the paper, call BMWNA and complain about the dealer. Also if they get any calls asking how well their service is, low rate them unless they are able to work with you and your situation. If they are the dealer you bought your vehicle from, then take it straight to BMWNA.

If your car is at a dealer that you didn't buy it from, they're going to be shysters and going to try and weasel their way out of it. My friend with an E46 had an engine die out due to a CRACKED PLASTIC mount that connects the radiator to the engine or something like that and they said they wouldn't cover the inexcess of $15k they wanted for a engine replacement/overhaul due to the damage it caused by putting it on a tow truck (radiator didn't work, so it overheated/warped the cylinders or something)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Totally sucks. But if its true that you were never tuned and never messed around in the engine bay then screw it, call BMWNA and have a shit fit. You should also be looking for another dealer because apparently the one you go to is full of morons.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
weren't you going to get a lemon law lawyer?
yes but that wont work..my car is over 50k miles and is used. i just bought an extended maintenance with them which i had to fork out 2grand for but what now? Its totally useless. This is complete BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPe-ZeRo View Post
"They also stated how there are some loose and missing screws in the engine which they had tightened back up."

You know that paper you get from having your car fixed? If it says they did that work on the paper, call BMWNA and complain about the dealer. Also if they get any calls asking how well their service is, low rate them unless they are able to work with you and your situation. If they are the dealer you bought your vehicle from, then take it straight to BMWNA.

If your car is at a dealer that you didn't buy it from, they're going to be shysters and going to try and weasel their way out of it. My friend with an E46 had an engine die out due to a CRACKED PLASTIC mount that connects the radiator to the engine or something like that and they said they wouldn't cover the inexcess of $15k they wanted for a engine replacement/overhaul due to the damage it caused by putting it on a tow truck (radiator didn't work, so it overheated/warped the cylinders or something)
I will be going to the dealership soon and if they do not fix the car i will certainly complain to BMWNA. They can't do this especially now since i don't even have a running car anymore..how am i going to get around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Totally sucks. But if its true that you were never tuned and never messed around in the engine bay then screw it, call BMWNA and have a shit fit. You should also be looking for another dealer because apparently the one you go to is full of morons.
I will man. This is totally ridiculous. I told them how i broke down in the middle of the road but i guess they don't take their customers seriously. At least toyota is handling their problems..
      02-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

Hey I have seen your car here at work for what seems like the last two months. I am very sympathetic for your situation.

I forwarded your post, word for word, to the Service Manager for you. Hopefully he will resolve the situation.

This is all I can do for you. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
Hey I have seen your car here at work for what seems like the last two months. I am very sympathetic for your situation.

I forwarded your post, word for word, to the Service Manager for you. Hopefully he will resolve the situation.

This is all I can do for you. Best of luck.
wow..you have no idea how much i appreciate this..thank you so much!
      02-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

what about other dealerships? or maybe tell them to make a mark and align the screws/nuts that are loose and see which ones specifically it is..I'd be more worried if those things are getting loose from regular use - who knows when it'll just fall off if that was the case
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

wow this sucks, best of luck to you

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Hopefully now that this problem is being reported to the higher-ups, a welcoming resolution to the problem will be in your future soon :P
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

thats BS now and to damn bad! you took it in for long cranks and rattle now 3 months later after they worked on your car multiple times they give you your car back and it doesn't even run! They worked on your car too much now to drop it and say its not their problem.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

The point that it has worsened under their care is bad enough. I really hope everything works out well for you, this is quite the inconvenient situation

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

3 months without the car is ridiculous enough! It is really too bad you are not under BMW warranty anymore, or else there could be more pressure on them. Good luck with your situation.
      02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
and the outcome:
got my car back today and it has been flagged and they are not willing to help me out
if anyone knows a good mechanic in OC please let me know!
      02-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

ouch....should not have posted this with your dealer being an active member here! quick post search showed you had a jb3. sorry man...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
ouch....should not have posted this with your dealer being an active member here! quick post search showed you had a jb3. sorry man...
lmfao that wasn't me..someone probably hacked my account and posted that
whatever whats done is done
now im just pissed that i paid for an extended warranty
im gonna try to refund that shit
      02-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow the member that forwarded you post could have really compromised what is now your outcome which is your car being red flagged....OP should have never forwarded yor post..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
i already did that
and the same exact codes come back up
its wierd..if i drive normally after i clear all the codes not even one code will show up..if i drive hard, the car will go into limp mode and all the same exact codes will come back, this is the 2nd or 3rd time
i know the car needs to go to the dealer but i'm worried the dealer might figure out i chipped the car..
i'm going to clear all codes and take out my mods then scan again.
From
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336214

Really?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Dude he was joking about someone hacking his account! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Judging by your posts saying you had an aftermarket tune in your car, your best bet is going to an independent shop. You can also try getting your money back for the warranty, but nothing is guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

bummer, I would try and get them to get it back in drivable condition seeing as you gave it to them in working condition, just because your car is flagged does not mean your warrnaty is void. The burden of proof is on them to show that the modifications caused the failure and if they can not do so must fix it for you. This also means that anything that is a common failure like hpfp is covered even if the mods likely covered it. Read the magnison moss warranty act and contact a lawyer.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

i took my car in with no about 10 screws missing, including the hvac, a broken amb temp clip, and no ecu cover. they replaced my fuel pump no problem, find yourself a new dealership.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0