ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Sallyz4
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0 Si

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
When Should I replace brake pad and rotors?

I just bought a CPO 2006 Z4 3.0si back in August 09... I absolutely love this car, and it's only got about 27K miles on it.. I believe that these are still the original brake pads and rotors on the car, I was wondering the average life of BMW pads and rotors... I know that it all depends on the way a person drives, however I'm not very hard on the car or on the brakes, and I have a 6 speed (The only way to drive) therefore I downshift a lot... So given that fact that the car has low miles on it, and I'm not hard on the brakes, anybody have an idea of when I should change the pads and rotors? very 30K miles? Every 40K miles? The dealer told me it would be 1400 dollars for pads and rotors, and then its about 2000 after taxes and what not for the free maintenance upgrade, and it seems worth it except who the hell has 2000 dollars to just give to someone right now, and it has to be before June this year?
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
lo-tek
I'm a PC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport Coupe

Short answer: Change them when the light comes on!

My 2003 Z4 needed front brakes around 45k or so. I had them replaced under maintenance but dealer told me it would have been $800 had I paid for it myself. I can't wait to see what it costs for my M.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Buy the parts and do it yourself. Changing pads and rotors are one of the easiest things to do yourself. You can almost buy a BBK for that price!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice84 View Post
Buy the parts and do it yourself. Changing pads and rotors are one of the easiest things to do yourself. You can almost buy a BBK for that price!
+1

Cool Carbon makes some excellent pads if you want to use those instead of going to the dealer, or purchasing their stuff which is way overpriced. Might as well 'upgrade' your pads while you're at it!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

When I reached Inspection I at 42K miles I apparently still had 9-10mm brake pad thickness (too much freeway driving and not enough canyon carving I guess). At this rate the pads won't need replacing till I hit 150K...

Of course this depends A LOT on how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
When I reached Inspection I at 42K miles I apparently still had 9-10mm brake pad thickness (too much freeway driving and not enough canyon carving I guess). At this rate the pads won't need replacing till I hit 150K...

Of course this depends A LOT on how you drive.
And if you have heavy rims

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
phenolic
Rep
Drives: Z4M

rotor replacement

does anyone know at what rotor thickness (in mm) BMW will honor replacing rotors under the OEM service/maiontainance warranty?
Appreciate 0