ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Black Z4MC

Z4M Aftermarket Shocks?

Hello,

I really like my Z4M, but hate the stock suspension. It has a very harsh ride quality, I am not impress by the M cornering taking into account how harsh the car rides. I replace the factory springs with Eibach's springs which lowered my ///M just right and slightly improve suspension.

I do mean slightly the car still rides very harsh and looking to upgrade my shocks, the only options I see is Bilstein HD shocks which I haven't heard anybody in the community w/ them.

I don't have the funds right now to upgrade to KW v3, I wish Koni made the adjustable Yellows for the Z4M coupe. Does anybody know of any available shocks for our Z4M. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 ZCP blue

Im having single adjustable Konis custom built from Ground Control.
They are keeping the exact stock fitment and custom making me fornt housings for the konis to drop into.
The rears are just a Koni shock but Im having the top mounts modified so that I can adjust.
Stock springs (SCCA rules)
cost is $1200 +, it will probably be more when I get the bill.
Koni does not make an off the shelf shock for our cars.
Bilstiens are not adjustable and I have seen no reviews.
hope that helps
talk to Jay at GC, very nice guy, tell him Chad sent you.
Appreciate 1
HOT M80.50
      01-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for your help Chad, I am looking to spend under $1k. At $1200 I would save some more and purchase KW V3 for $1800.

The Bilstein HD come out to $650 for the set, reading reviews from other BMW owners they seem just as stiff as the factory set up. I am surprise other manufactures haven't made a good adjustable shock for our Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

there just arnt enough of our cars out there.
those that do have them dont race them
But I think its a great car for track and AX.
Although I just got mine. But I have set up many cars WRX, RX7, Exige S all had custom Konis except the Exige S (nitrons)
I dont know much about KW but they are not made in Germany I think they are made in Taiwan.
I have been down the cheap coilover route before and I will not do it again.
The cool thing about these Konis Im having built is they can very easily be upgraded to double adjustabel coilovers.
Just give Jay a call at Ground Control. They build everything in house except the Konis, but those are custom valved for GC by Koni Holland. Ground Control has a Koni Coilover four our cars for $1749. For me its a no brainer to get that over the KW's.
Plus Konis can easily be rebuilt at many locations in the US.
It all depends on what you want to do though. Track and Auto Cross or just lower your car for street use. Just get lowering springs then.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...gory.php/CA=11

Last edited by stubble88; 01-24-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

KWs are not made iin taiwan. They are made in Germany. The Koni are single adjustable the KWs are double adjustable. The KWs don't come with camber plates but they are quiter, ride better than the Koni on the street. The Koni do have linear springs and have the option of spring choice but the KWs can be converted to liner springs.

The KWs are built using a Shaker Rig and testing on cars in germany. The Koni are basically built with data from other cars and customer feedback.

Shorter springs make the ride on the Z4M harsh because the already short stroke gets even shorter and you end up riding the bump stops. That's why there are no aftermaket shocks for the car. You need a coilover setup to make the ride better when the car is lowered. Aftermarket shocks with OEM struts will still be harsh.

Your cheapest option is the H&R coilovers or you can just put the stock springs back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

maybe its just the V1's that are made in Tiawan.
Konis do make a double adjustable and they can be rebuilt at many locations around the US.
Doenst really matter if your not competing. but go with Koni anyhow
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

The double adjustable Konis are basically the same as the ones TCkline sells. The cost is around $2400.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

get the tckline dual adjustable setup. Putting springs on your car was a very bad decision if you were worried about ride quality.
      01-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post

Shorter springs make the ride on the Z4M harsh because the already short stroke gets even shorter and you end up riding the bump stops. That's why there are no aftermaket shocks for the car. You need a coilover setup to make the ride better when the car is lowered. Aftermarket shocks with OEM struts will still be harsh.

Your cheapest option is the H&R coilovers or you can just put the stock springs back on.
After some asking around I found out if I purchase the Bilstein HDs which will cost $650 for the set, I can send them to Bilstein to re-valve the shocks according to the Eibach's spring rate. The problem is I was quoted $280 by Bilstein for the re-valve job.

Now I am thinking if it's worth the $930 to get this setup done, more importantly, will I be happy in the end?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

by the time your done you could have just had single adj. Konis made. $1200
easy to upgrade to coilovers.
takes a week or two from GC. Mine should be here by Friday.
It doesnt sound like you need double adjustable.
I have already researched all this stuff for stock class in AX.
Vorshlag uses a custom valved AST, but they run around $2400. But I hear great things.
wait and see how I like these for daily driving and I can fill you in.

Last edited by stubble88; 01-27-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubble88 View Post
by the time your done you could have just had single adj. Konis made. $1200
easy to upgrade to coilovers.
takes a week or two from GC. Mine should be here by Friday.
It doesnt sound like you need double adjustable.
I have already researched all this stuff for stock class in AX.
Vorshlag uses a custom valved AST, but they run around $2400. But I hear great things.
wait and see how I like these for daily driving and I can fill you in.
Thanks again Chad, I look forward to your review on the Koni sport single adjustable shocks.

I understand you point of view but I am also looking it as,the Koni sport (single) cost about $200ea for the front shocks and $180ea for the rears.

The rears don't need any modification as they fit fine but the front is what you paying to be modified. So you are paying GC about $450 to modify only front shocks.

It just seem very expensive work for 2 shocks, I don't know maybe that's a fair price let's see how they come out.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

That $450 is being used to create a new front shock housing from scratch.
welding, powder coating. all to stock specs.
and they are putting another spring perch on there for future coil over upgrade.
I think the deal is pretty good seeing there aren't very many options out there for this kind of setup.
Or you can get another stock set of front shocks gut them and drop Konis in. (more to it than that) (Koni inserts)
keep in mind this is all from what I have been told. I have yet to experience it for myself.
But its all I have at the moment.
good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

Well dont buy these until they figure what they are doing
top of Konis where not long enough to poke through my top stock mounts.
Im sending them back
Just letting you know.
Im pissed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
stubble88
Private First Class
Rep

Ground Control has the most amazing customer support I have ever delt with. Everything was fixed and is now on the car.
I am un-pissed
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2peed View Post
After some asking around I found out if I purchase the Bilstein HDs which will cost $650 for the set, I can send them to Bilstein to re-valve the shocks according to the Eibach's spring rate. The problem is I was quoted $280 by Bilstein for the re-valve job.

Now I am thinking if it's worth the $930 to get this setup done, more importantly, will I be happy in the end?
If you want to lower the car and have a ride quality that is less harsh than stock, I would keep a look out for a used set of KW V3 coilovers. I found that The ride quality and performance were greatly improved with this kit.

The struts have 18 dampening adjustments and 4 full turns of bump adjustment in increments of .25 turn. Basically you can dial the kit in for you needs very easily.

I started with spings, but found that by the time you get the right struts to match your springs, you will be very close to a nice set of coilovers.

Good Luck
      02-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ground Control has the most amazing customer support I have ever delt with. Everything was fixed and is now on the car.
I am un-pissed
Glad everything worked out, how it feels??
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
KWs are not made iin taiwan. They are made in Germany. The Koni are single adjustable the KWs are double adjustable. The KWs don't come with camber plates but they are quiter, ride better than the Koni on the street. The Koni do have linear springs and have the option of spring choice but the KWs can be converted to liner springs.

The KWs are built using a Shaker Rig and testing on cars in germany. The Koni are basically built with data from other cars and customer feedback.

KW suspension pieces are HIGH QUALITY.

They're currently used in various organized racing circles and one that really comes to mind is the ALMS M3 GTR cars. The M3 teams switched over from Koni to KW. So it speaks of their quality and where they're used.

Quote:
maybe its just the V1's that are made in Tiawan.
Konis do make a double adjustable and they can be rebuilt at many locations around the US.
Doenst really matter if your not competing. but go with Koni anyhow
All KW coilovers are made in Germany. This includes the Variant 1 models. They also feature stainless steel construction to ensure corrosion-free, long-lasting performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
If you want to lower the car and have a ride quality that is less harsh than stock, I would keep a look out for a used set of KW V3 coilovers. I found that The ride quality and performance were greatly improved with this kit.

The struts have 18 dampening adjustments and 4 full turns of bump adjustment in increments of .25 turn. Basically you can dial the kit in for you needs very easily.

I started with spings, but found that by the time you get the right struts to match your springs, you will be very close to a nice set of coilovers.

Good Luck
I personally would rather go with a new set of coilovers because it's been QC'd and I know that the dampers will be perfect condition when installed. You'd be surprised at how many people actually damage their coilovers abusing them on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Big thumbs up on the KW v3s for street driving/canyon running. I've had mine five weeks now and they are every bit as good as everyone says. They are comfortable on LA's crap downtown roads and still corner much better than stock or my previous H&R springs did. The ride, adjustability and build quality are excellent. Apparently they can be set to softer than stock if you so desire. Worth the money IMHO. I recommend replacing the Rear Shock Mounts while you are at it. Rogue Eng has a great RSM kit.

I previously had the H&R lowering springs w/stock dampers, which cornered better than stock but ran out of travel on bumps. I also ran a Ground Control street 'hybrid' kit for two weeks. I returned the GCs for the KWs and boy I'm glad I did. Naturally, Your Mileage May Vary.

As you know tires and wheels play a huge part it ride quality.... you might consider smaller wheels, more sidewall and/or less tire pressure to soften up the ride. I run 37 PSI measured with tires warm.

Last edited by blender; 05-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
Big thumbs up on the KW v3s. I've had mine three weeks now and they are as good as everyone says. They are comfortable on LA's crap downtown roads and still corner much better than stock or my previous H&R springs did. The ride, adjustability and build quality are all excellent. Apparently they can be set to softer than stock if you so desire. Worth the money IMHO. I recommend replacing the Rear Shock Mounts while you are at it. Rouge Eng has a great RSM kit.

I previously had the H&R lowering springs w/stock dampers, which cornered better than stock but ran out of travel on bumps. I also ran a Ground Control street 'hybrid' kit for two weeks. I returned the GCs for the KWs and boy I'm glad I did. Naturally, Your Mileage May Vary.

As you know tires and wheels play a huge part it ride quality.... you might consider smaller wheels, more sidewall and/or less tire pressure to soften up the ride. I run 37 PSI measured with tires warm.
Thank you for your detailed review!

I'm also in the Orange County / Los Angeles area and noticed the same when switching from just springs to the KW V3 coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
Thank you for your detailed review!

I'm also in the Orange County / Los Angeles area and noticed the same when switching from just springs to the KW V3 coilovers.
With the KWs do you lose any inside clearance space, wheel to strut?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

KW Wheel clearance

"With the KWs do you lose any inside clearance space, wheel to strut?"

It's pretty close. My stock wheels fitted with Falken FK452s (225/40R-18) don't rub, but I have not dropped the car all the way as some do. According to the KW literature, wheel spacers may be required at full drop. I can totally believe that. Front wheel below at -2.8 camber.

Last edited by blender; 05-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^thanks, that helps
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0