ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Ticket :[

So this morning I dropped my roommate off at the airport and was driving back home at 6:00 a.m. I was about a half mile away from my house and got pulled over by two Seattle PD officers. I was informed I was pulled over for 1. no front plate (knew this was illegal but hate how it looks), 2. illegal exhaust (didn't know this was illegal, I have the Rogue Diablo so it's not annoying loud) and 3. illegal cover obstructing my rear plate (I have one of those SLIGHTLY tinted plastic covers over my rear plate). I got a warning for the plate cover and exhaust but received a $124 ticket for the not having a front plate on my car.

So, should I attempt to fight this ticket (affix it to the front of my car and take a picture to the judge)? Also, is it actually illegal to have the Rogue exhaust on my car?? I'll take the rear plate cover off.

Any input/suggestions/comments would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Hi David,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Seems pretty tough to find a reason that will convince the magistrate to knock off the front license fine. Seattle has a decibel ordinence, but, it seems a bit of a stretch for them to single you out with all of the
aftermarket exhaust systems on cars and bikes. The license plate shield is of course illegal, in fact, I know one guy that got a ticket for obstructing his rear license plate on this truck with a trailer hitch. The bigger question, I would think,would be if the next time they give you the once over and see that you were previously cited for the exhaust with a warning whether that would automatically set you up for a ticket.
Welcome to the new economy. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Lew
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Lew,

Ok I won't bother doing that then, I'll just suck it up and pay the fine. I thought it was a little ... odd that he stated simply that "modified mufflers are illegal".

Since I was pulled over so close to my house (and drive around here often, obviously) I'm worried that my car now has a bullseye on it. Do you think they keep track of things like warnings issued? I'd think that only the two officers that pulled me over would know of the warning they issued me. I could be wrong.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

David, I suspect, if they gave you a written warning, that it is in the system. I'll ask a COP friend the next time I see him and see what he says.
Lew
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Nothing in writing, just verbal.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

If you affix your front license plate and provide proof of that (with pictures) to the magistrate, the front license-plate ticket will be dropped (I know this because I did the same thing and mine was dropped). The same may also go for the rear license plate, all you can do is try and see. When I got my front-ticket...even though it was dropped, it convinced me to get with the GoMiniGo as no one needs an extra reason to get pulled over (especially late at night).
      01-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
If you affix your front license plate and provide proof of that (with pictures) to the magistrate, the front license-plate ticket will be dropped (I know this because I did the same thing and mine was dropped). The same may also go for the rear license plate, all you can do is try and see. When I got my front-ticket...even though it was dropped, it convinced me to get with the GoMiniGo as no one needs an extra reason to get pulled over (especially late at night).
i also got my "no front license plate" ticket knocked off by giving the magistrate pictures of my car with a front plate attached.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Alright guys I might give it a shot ...

So all I do is affix the front plate to my car then take some pictures to prove it? Then choose the contest the ticket and bring it to the magistrate?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Sorry to hear what just happened buddy, but now you are making me nervous. My exhuast is pretty loud lo and so does to lots my friends. Everyone seems to be fine and nvr had a problem with it before. I didnt even kw that it was illegal to have your exhaust mod in the WA state???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

it really depends on the cops. back when i still had an rx7, during a drive a cop pulled over my friend (who happened to being driving infront of me) and said it was because of the lack of a front license plate. this entire time i'm parked directly behind the cop car and he looks over and waves. (my car didn't even have the holes in the front bumper for the license plate) the only reason being that my car looked much more stock than my friends. basically it just gets down to how much of a douche the copper wants to be
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

you might consider one of the no-holes license plate holders that screws into the existing tow hook socket if you don't want to drill your front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
you might consider one of the no-holes license plate holders that screws into the existing tow hook socket if you don't want to drill your front bumper.
Right, that's what I went with.
      01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lin View Post
Sorry to hear what just happened buddy, but now you are making me nervous. My exhuast is pretty loud lo and so does to lots my friends. Everyone seems to be fine and nvr had a problem with it before. I didnt even kw that it was illegal to have your exhaust mod in the WA state???
Well he told me "City of Seattle" not Washington state ... But I'm not even sure of the validity of that statement. I'll admit when cops are nice, but both of these guys were douche bags, so he could've just been giving me a line. I wasn't revving high or anything and I even think my exhaust sounds fairly tame ...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
basically it just gets down to how much of a douche the copper wants to be
I think you hit the nail on the head ...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
If I get pulled over again for it I think I'll consider it but until then I'm gonna take my chances

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
nesrevival
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC 07'

I got a ticket for "no front license plate" two years ago, and I still don't have the front license plate
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #17
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Well he told me "City of Seattle" not Washington state ... But I'm not even sure of the validity of that statement. I'll admit when cops are nice, but both of these guys were douche bags, so he could've just been giving me a line. I wasn't revving high or anything and I even think my exhaust sounds fairly tame ...
Come on, most cops in the area suck. I got two tickets caused by the racial issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #18
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Damn, I guess the WA police departments need the money so badly. A buddy of my with his SG E92 335 got pulled over as well and given a ticket with aftermarket exhuast, tint window and only 5 miles over the speed limit in Bellevue.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Wow! I hope this ticketing for aftermarket exhausts isn't a new 2010 thing. So dumb. Where in Bellevue was he? I wonder if he would've been going the speed limit if he would've been pulled over ... Know how much the ticket was? Is he gonna take off his exhaust and/or tint?

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #20
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
So this morning I dropped my roommate off at the airport and was driving back home at 6:00 a.m. I was about a half mile away from my house and got pulled over by two Seattle PD officers. I was informed I was pulled over for 1. no front plate (knew this was illegal but hate how it looks), 2. illegal exhaust (didn't know this was illegal, I have the Rogue Diablo so it's not annoying loud) and 3. illegal cover obstructing my rear plate (I have one of those SLIGHTLY tinted plastic covers over my rear plate). I got a warning for the plate cover and exhaust but received a $124 ticket for the not having a front plate on my car.

So, should I attempt to fight this ticket (affix it to the front of my car and take a picture to the judge)? Also, is it actually illegal to have the Rogue exhaust on my car?? I'll take the rear plate cover off.

Any input/suggestions/comments would be welcomed.

Thanks.
Municipalities are strapped for cash so law enforcement folks are out looking for low hanging fruit and not having a front license plate properly displayed is an easy catch.
My wife was recently ticketed in Shoreline for the same offense. She requested mitigation, installed the front plate, went to court, told the magistrate the plate was installed and the magistrate dismissed the citation.
After this incident I installed my front plate too:
Name:  IMG_0915.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  138.9 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

I understand the front plate and the tint but what's really getting me is this aftermarket exhaust/muffler issue ...

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:14 AM   #22
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Couple months ago, my sis parked her car at China Town out the Street. When she came back, she got a ticket on her windshield said, "No Front License Plate". I thought no front license plate is a 2nd fault, so they cant do that. But the next day, my sis went there again and got one more ticket again for the exact same reason. The ticket was only about $40~60 and insurance said it will not hurt out insurance rate. My sis didnt want to bother it, so we end up paid for the tickets. Then I put her front plate on for her

Quote:
Wow! I hope this ticketing for aftermarket exhausts isn't a new 2010 thing. So dumb. Where in Bellevue was he? I wonder if he would've been going the speed limit if he would've been pulled over ... Know how much the ticket was? Is he gonna take off his exhaust and/or tint?
Not sure, he did tell me about it, but i cant remember it. Sorry~ +1 on the exhaust too, WTF.
Appreciate 0