E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > question for nice people

01-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
justakid88
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: u crazy

question for nice people

ok im prolly going to get burned but curious
it was an accident.
so i have a step tronic 328i.
i was just in the school parking lot and then i was in m2 then i accidently push it over back to drive and the car like brakes really hard as if i stepped on the brakes but i did not. the rev did not go up but all of sudden when i did that it just braked hard but not to a complete stop and also there was no sound. ive moved ds to d which i havent had a problem with but now yeaa... im pretty embarrased to post this too
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
this is why MT = BEST

but i dont think what happened to you is normal? but not sure
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

you can shift back over to drive when in manual mode... nothing should happen
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

hmm that doesn't sound normal to me. i think there has been times when i switched from MX to D and haven't had problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Right, the change from DS back to D should be seemless. If you can duplicate it, then talk to your service advisor.

Ihatewinter

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Guessing: At the last second, you thought you made a shifting mistake and unconsciously braked the car, even though you didn't need to.

Try doing it again. If the car doesn't suddenly jerk as it did the first time, I'll say I'm right. If it does do the braking/jerking/possible hesitation move again, there is a transmission problem. But who knows what, or where to begin? This could be either a software or mechanical problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
justakid88
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: u crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Guessing: At the last second, you thought you made a shifting mistake and unconsciously braked the car, even though you didn't need to.

Try doing it again. If the car doesn't suddenly jerk as it did the first time, I'll say I'm right. If it does do the braking/jerking/possible hesitation move again, there is a transmission problem. But who knows what, or where to begin? This could be either a software or mechanical problem.
i'll do try it again but kinda scared too but i will most likely tomoroow and tell u what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
Right, the change from DS back to D should be seemless. If you can duplicate it, then talk to your service advisor.

Ihatewinter
the changes from ds back to d is smooth/seemless. im talking about when its in like manual mode like m1 m2 moving to d
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
e60_M5_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB C Class

Probably a fluke, keep in mind, "Diagnosing symptoms involving 6-speed automatic transmissions and determining the root causes of the complaints are the areas where specialized assistance is often needed. Due to the high cost and complexity of the 6-speed automatic transmissions, an Enhanced Technical Support process has been developed to help identify the root causes of customer complaints relating to Automatic Transmissions concerns."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

it shouldn't cause a problem, suppose to transition smoothly from DS to D

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
I'm having a hard time understanding what happened. Can you describe the incident in English please?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what happened. Can you describe the incident in English please?
It's not eloquently conveyed, but it is understandable.

As a side note: Let me be the first to welcome you to the Internet, where you'll witness short-hand, abbreviation, and symbols from people trying to get their point across. Punctuation and formality take a back seat here. You'll even read the occasional jerk who has the nerve trying to use English when it isn't even his first language!

It takes some time getting used to, but hang in there, you'll catch on.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
e60_M5_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB C Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
Dear potential respondents,

I estimate, with a high probability, that you may pass negative judgment for the story to which I am about to report. However, my curiosity is too great to remain silent, and I remind you, the actions I took were not deliberate.

I have a Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) 328i sedan with a 6 speed automatic transmission, branded the STEPtronic™. While driving within the confines of a parking area at my educational institution (the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too), I accidentally initiated the vehicle’s shift mechanism. This forced the transmission control to abruptly transfer from STEPtronic automatic mode, manual gear 2 (M2), to the drive (D) mode. Immediately, the vehicle’s velocity decreased, as if the four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes had been activated without driver input! The revolutions per minute (RPM) did not increase and there was no audible evidence of any mechanical failure. In the past, I have successfully changed between Sport (DS) mode and drive (D) mode without error.

With the utmost embarrassment,

Original Poster
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60_M5_2020 View Post

I estimate, with a high probability, that you may pass negative judgment for the story to which I am about to report. However, my curiosity is too great to remain silent, and I remind you, the actions I took were not deliberate.

I have a Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) 328i sedan with a 6 speed automatic transmission, branded the STEPtronic™. While driving within the confines of a parking area at my educational institution (the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too), I accidentally initiated the vehicle’s shift mechanism. This forced the transmission control to abruptly transfer from STEPtronic automatic mode, manual gear 2 (M2), to the drive (D) mode. Immediately, the vehicle’s velocity decreased, as if the four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes had been activated without driver input! The revolutions per minute (RPM) did not increase and there was no audible evidence of any mechanical failure. In the past, I have successfully changed between Sport (DS) mode and drive (D) mode without error.

Original Poster

Manual mode is still over at the DS side so whether you're in DS or Mx, you should still be able to go back to D seamlessly as others have noted.

I am siding with Goody4's explanation, there's no real other reason for the sudden deceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:

Original Poster
LMFAO

To op: Wouldnt worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Original Poster
^Awesome.
Appreciate 0