E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealership not gonna cover my signal bulb

01-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Dealership not gonna cover my signal bulb

im not gonna say which dealership/SA

so recently my front right signal bulb went out i took my car to the dealership today to have it replaced cause it's under warranty.

they called me up and said my bulbs have been replaced to aftermarket therefore they are not gonna touch my car and if i want to change it it is going to cost $50.. wtf?

my door panel is lose and i wanted them to put it back for me since i dont' know why my car driverside/passenger side panel always come loose. their excuse was. "you have interior led lights" you messed it up we are not going to cover it.. wtf? the light has nothing to do with the panels..?

and to top it off the SA said to be clear next time you bring your car in it's going to cost you 1 hr of labor just to look at your car.. when my car is supposely still covered under warranty..

what am i supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
If you have aftermarket bulbs then it is reasonable that they would not replace them under warranty. As far as the door panels and future work it is on the dealer to prove that mods caused whatever problem. I think you need a new service department. It sounds like you are headed for a bunch of hassle. I recommend you check the DIY for anything that covers removing door panels you can probably fix it yourself in a less than 30 min.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Is your signal bulb really an aftermarket bulb? You can't expect them to replace it then.

I don't know about the door panels. Did you have to remove them to install your interior LED lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Go to another dealership!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Is your signal bulb really an aftermarket bulb? You can't expect them to replace it then.

I don't know about the door panels. Did you have to remove them to install your interior LED lights?
it does not require taking out panel to replace well light.. just pop out the housing liek 2 sec.

and my front signal bulbs are factory.

=/ yea time for another dealership
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

good thinking. someone else would appreciate your business.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Evil E90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post

so recently my front right signal bulb went out i took my car to the dealership today to have it replaced cause it's under warranty.

they called me up and said my bulbs have been replaced to aftermarket therefore they are not gonna touch my car and if i want to change it it is going to cost $50.. wtf?

my door panel is lose and i wanted them to put it back for me since i dont' know why my car driverside/passenger side panel always come loose. their excuse was. "you have interior led lights" you messed it up we are not going to cover it.. wtf? the light has nothing to do with the panels..?

and to top it off the SA said to be clear next time you bring your car in it's going to cost you 1 hr of labor just to look at your car.. when my car is supposely still covered under warranty..

I bet I know the Dealer you are talking about. Could it be that crappy dealer in Alhambra? They can go to hell with their lame service! Anyways..... I had a similar incident happen to me. I changed out my Xenons to Mtec and I wanted the dealer to adjust the headlights because they are a little off. I noticed this way before I replaced my headlights. They wanted $90 to adjust them since they were not stock anymore. I can understand that. I guess if you change out something that is not factory it will not be covered under the warranty and some surrounding components will also not be covered any more like your door panels. I'm sure you can fix the door panel yourself. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Go to another dealership!
+1. /thread

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpixel View Post
I bet I know the Dealer you are talking about. Could it be that crappy dealer in Alhambra? They can go to hell with their lame service! Anyways..... I had a similar incident happen to me. I changed out my Xenons to Mtec and I wanted the dealer to adjust the headlights because they are a little off. I noticed this way before I replaced my headlights. They wanted $90 to adjust them since they were not stock anymore. I can understand that. I guess if you change out something that is not factory it will not be covered under the warranty and some surrounding components will also not be covered any more like your door panels. I'm sure you can fix the door panel yourself. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.
door panel yes i can fix the door panel it's self but all teh tabs are broken i dunno why and it seemed like a common problem on 06? models from what i read the panel jus tkeep falling out.. they should do something about it..

i have better luck with another SA but now he's out of town
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

How much is a signal bulb?
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

if the bulb that went out was stock from the factory, i believe the dealer is required under law to explain/prove that your other mods made that bulb burn out. otherwise, they have to replace it under warranty. can someone else confirm if that's the case?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

i think i know which dealership this is, but that sucks man!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
How much is a signal bulb?
pepboys prob cost liek 5 bucks/pair

but then it's a bitch to change and i don't see why i have to change it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
if the bulb that went out was stock from the factory, i believe the dealer is required under law to explain/prove that your other mods made that bulb burn out. otherwise, they have to replace it under warranty. can someone else confirm if that's the case?
can someone please point me to the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:

Go to a dealer that has better service then these schmucks..

Try Steve Thomas.,

PM me for my SA - mod friendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
dude ok this is f'in bullshit. now he said everytime i take my car in they're gonan change me $150 just to inspect the car wtF???
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #16
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Quote:
can someone please point me to the right direction?
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. See mods and warranty sticky at top of page.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #17
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpixel View Post
Oh my God, I always pass Alhambra on the way to my mom's house. I was considering going there next after having a 2nd not so great experience from "BMW of Monrovia" (or should I say Assael/Asshole BMW -- the name change didn't imply new management)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #18
HsiangHsu
Taiwanese Baller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / M3

just replace it yourself if your dealer doesnt cover it... it's not that expensive anyways...
      01-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

I've never heard of a door panel coming loose unless someone pulled it off at one time or another and broke the tabs. I'm not defending the dealer, but if you mess up your car on your own, that's not considered a factory defect-which is what the warranty covers. As for the turn signal bulbs, it's a simple matter of asking the dealer to prove to you that the bulbs are aftermarket. Sorry if I'm not totally sympathetic, but we're only getting one side of the story here.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

+1 on the door panel... I have an 06' 325i and I have never had an issue with the door panels coming off.. Seems to me the dealer thinks that you removed the door panels to install whatever interior lighting you added.

I am on the extended warranty now and I'm not going to mod with anything other than BMW performance until the warranty expires in 3 years..

I just went to service last week at my dealership and the wouldn't repair a leaking valve cover gasket because it was not leaking enough?? Only leaks enough to leave oil stains in my drive way!!

I'd hate to see what the extended warranty people would do if they found out I'd been messing with mods.. Probably laugh all the way to the bank..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What definitely comes through in the OP's case is the lack of respect for him, that the SA demonstrates. At minimum, that means going to another dealership. Aftermarket or not, the OP was not treated with respect, as a normal BMW customer.

I had a situation like that with my Nissan many moons ago, the mgr. said my wood dash is not Nissan, not covered. Since he was taking his time with the paperwork I reached over the counter and took my keys and said CU. He started shouting you put the keys back before I call the cops. LOL gosh, is he treating me with respect or not, not sure. Funny, I tossed the keys up as high as they would go and they crashed down on his counter--I told him no joke you better hurry up and type up the paperwork as fast as your short little fingers can type. His reaction was to move even more slowly, so it was a pressure-cooker situation. A salesman saw the whole thing and went to my car, saw that it was factory wood, and told the mgr that in front of everyone. To which I said how about you get your GM out here and explain how you just treated me as a customer? He shrugged like a hurt little puppy dog and said I didn't know, I thought it was aftermarket. Funny when I went to another dealership in the rich suburbs, they replaced the whole dash under warranty and were nice about it too. They got my business for the next 4 years.....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #22
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR View Post
+1 on the door panel... I have an 06' 325i and I have never had an issue with the door panels coming off.. Seems to me the dealer thinks that you removed the door panels to install whatever interior lighting you added.

I am on the extended warranty now and I'm not going to mod with anything other than BMW performance until the warranty expires in 3 years..

I just went to service last week at my dealership and the wouldn't repair a leaking valve cover gasket because it was not leaking enough?? Only leaks enough to leave oil stains in my drive way!!

I'd hate to see what the extended warranty people would do if they found out I'd been messing with mods.. Probably laugh all the way to the bank..
yea well iduno before i got into my mod phase it has always been an issue with the panels coming loose and i always tell the dealership to fix it they just pop it back in for me.

but honestly changing the door courtesy light is as easy as a cake just pop out he housing no interior panel removal involved.. wtf..
Appreciate 0