E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird thing that happened to me right now...

01-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Red Velvet
Tasty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e93

Weird thing that happened to me right now...

This happened while i was driving home a few minutes ago: i got into my parked car, got out of my parking spot, drove for a block, made a right turn, and then my door flew wide open! (thank god there was no other car next to me!) I tried to close it twice and it wouldnt close, but on the third try it did.

I always fully close my door, and no warnings came up that my door was open (ive had this car for only about 2 months, and im assuming that it would throw out a warning if a door was open because my 10 yr old benz used to).

Has anyone had an experience like this before? BMWs are supposed to give warnings if a door is open while driving right? Is there a need for me to take the car to the dealership to have it looked at?

2010 Alpine White E93 328i - Coral Red l Grey Poplar l Steptronic l Premium l Sport l Comfort Access l Heated Seats l Navi l iPod & USB l Smartphone
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Utah335
Rep
Drives: 335xi, STI

Very random...did it mess up any of the door hinges? Seems if the force was great enough it could have done damage.

Glad u didn't fall out
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

I have my '08 e92 set so after the car gets going, it automatically locks the doors.
Did you have this setting active?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Velvet View Post
This happened while i was driving home a few minutes ago: i got into my parked car, got out of my parking spot, drove for a block, made a right turn, and then my door flew wide open! (thank god there was no other car next to me!) I tried to close it twice and it wouldnt close, but on the third try it did.

I always fully close my door, and no warnings came up that my door was open (ive had this car for only about 2 months, and im assuming that it would throw out a warning if a door was open because my 10 yr old benz used to).

Has anyone had an experience like this before? BMWs are supposed to give warnings if a door is open while driving right? Is there a need for me to take the car to the dealership to have it looked at?
GHOSTBUSTERS
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Red Velvet
Tasty
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah335 View Post
Very random...did it mess up any of the door hinges? Seems if the force was great enough it could have done damage.

Glad u didn't fall out
The door did eventually close, and remained closed for the rest of the 2 minute drive home, so i dont know if anything is damaged. i know very little about cars and i dont know what things are supposed to look like if they are damaged, so i dont know how to inspect it myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech_Man View Post
I have my '08 e92 set so after the car gets going, it automatically locks the doors.
Did you have this setting active?
I actually do have that setting active, but maybe driving only a block is not enough for it to lock the doors. i realized the door was unlocked when i finally closed my door...then i pressed the lock button myself!

2010 Alpine White E93 328i - Coral Red l Grey Poplar l Steptronic l Premium l Sport l Comfort Access l Heated Seats l Navi l iPod & USB l Smartphone
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

The alarm would have gone off Waaaay before you would have been able to drive a whole block.
The alarm goes off within 10 seconds that you start driving off.

I dont think that's normal. Maybe it did go off but you had other alarms going off so you didnt notice? (Gas, washer fluid, seatbelt).

You say you tried to close it twice before it actually closed. Maybe the door has a faulty latch. When you have a chance park the car and make sure no ones is the way of the door and from the inside see if you can push it open. If this happens then you can definitely show that to the dealer.

PS: the door might be out of alignment with the car. Just a guess
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Red Velvet
Tasty
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
The alarm would have gone off Waaaay before you would have been able to drive a whole block.
The alarm goes off within 10 seconds that you start driving off.

I dont think that's normal. Maybe it did go off but you had other alarms going off so you didnt notice? (Gas, washer fluid, seatbelt).

You say you tried to close it twice before it actually closed. Maybe the door has a faulty latch. When you have a chance park the car and make sure no ones is the way of the door and from the inside see if you can push it open. If this happens then you can definitely show that to the dealer.

PS: the door might be out of alignment with the car. Just a guess
A warning did go off...but it was that i didnt put my parking brake fully down..but i put it down and im 100% sure there were no other warnings.

I tried the thing u said about seeing if i could push open the door from the inside, but it wouldnt open.

I think im going to take my car to BMW tomorrow just to be safe because the door swinging wide open could have damaged something that i cant detect myself, or something could have been broken before then, causing it do open in the first place.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Doors auto lock at like 6 or 7 MPH, are you sure there wasn't something stuck in the door, clothing or, that could hav prevented it from closing therefore no locks and voila door springs open!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

THey gonna laugh behind your back and giggle at home that nite.

That, or your car was trying to toss you. Perhaps your not worthy of it?

Slam your door and put your shoulder into it and try to open.

I bet you'll always pay attention the rest of your life. Don't worry, thats why the grainy leather is there to hold you in.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think there were several other cases very similar to yours discussed here. Crazy!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...door+opened%22

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Maybe your door latch is going bad?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
datdude47
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan

ur door handle probably stuck out when you pulled it, it happens to me sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude47 View Post
ur door handle probably stuck out when you pulled it, it happens to me sometimes.
That's never happened to me.
That shouldnt happen unless maybe you're in freezing temps. Of course, it never freezes here
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0