E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP! Did I just get ripped off on my new pre-owned car? Lemon?

01-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Woarrier
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi

Arrow HELP! Did I just get ripped off on my new pre-owned car? Lemon?

I just purchased a used '08 328xi with 29,000 miles for $25,000! I got it from a local Nissan dealership. The Carfax report says it was owned for ~11 months, and the car was purchased at auction in February 2009. So it's been sitting in the Nissan dealer's lot for almost a year. The dealer also had a pretty large selection of used luxury vehicles. BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

I don't know much about cars, but it looks like it's in good condition. There are some tiny scratches on the hood that someone tried to touch up, but they are barely noticeable to my untrained eye.

I still have 2 years/20k miles on the factory warranty. I also purchased a service plan (Nissan QualityGuard) for 5 years/60k miles for about $2000. I'm wondering if I should have gotten an extended warranty from a BMW dealership instead...The dealer said that if the extended warranty goes unused at the end of the 5 years, I will get reimbursed 100% of the $2000.

I felt like I was getting a good deal because it was several thousand dollars below the KBB price. Now I'm getting worried. Does this sound too good to be true? Could I have purchased a bad car? Should I have it inspected somewhere?

Maybe I'm worrying too much...I just bought my first BMW!

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Stop worrying... enjoy the car!

....in one year you won't pay attention to any minor scratches anymore...and most likely you'll be thinking about your next BMW... till then, think about all the good things this car has! Performance, reliability, design...

Your decision was the right one from the very begining... you bought a BMW!
      01-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
skow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 Gran Coupe xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
Agreed, it's yours now, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Uhh, is there anything actually wrong with it? The 328's are pretty solid, and you have 2 years or 20k miles to bring it to any BMW dealership for any issues.

The Nissan warranty might worry me, but the car doesn't. Personally, if I were to buy an extended warranty, I'd rather have the BMW dealer doing the work.

Sounds like you have a case of buyer's remorse, but don't worry about it! You made a good choice, so enjoy the car!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Yeah, just enjoy your car. And congrats on your first BMW.

I don't think the deal was TOO GOOD to be true. You paid $27,000 (with the warranty) for an '08 328xi with close to 30K miles from a nonBMW dealership. I think that price is just about right IMO.

There's always going to be issues with any car you buy. Have you read about the HPFP issues with almost brand new 335s from members here? 29k miles isn't that many miles really. You still have the new car warranty.

But IF you are really concerned about buying a lemon, have a reputable independent mechanic check out the car. Heck, if you have a couple of hundred to spare, you can bring her into your near by BMW dealership for a "pre-sale" inspection. Any mechanical/electrical problem that they find wrong will likely be covered under warranty.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Uhh, is there anything actually wrong with it? The 328's are pretty solid, and you have 2 years or 20k miles to bring it to any BMW dealership for any issues.

The Nissan warranty might worry me, but the car doesn't. Personally, if I were to buy an extended warranty, I'd rather have the BMW dealer doing the work.

Sounds like you have a case of buyer's remorse, but don't worry about it! You made a good choice, so enjoy the car!
Same here. That's something I probably would've passed on. But heck, if you don't end up using it, you get it all back, right?

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

You can still get a refund on the Nissan Warranty, which I would probably do. Then wait and get a BMW warranty closer to expiration of the factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woarrier View Post
I just purchased a used '08 328xi with 29,000 miles for $25,000! ... I also purchased a service plan (Nissan QualityGuard) for 5 years/60k miles for about $2000. I'm wondering if I should have gotten an extended warranty from a BMW dealership instead...
You worry too much, you will grow to like the car. A 328xi is pretty close to the 330xi that I drive and like. The only think you might look into is to get an extended warranty from a BMW dealership instead of Nissan. Congratulations on the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
MurderedOut'10
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

So you are scared because you got a great deal and you think something is majorly wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedOut'10 View Post
So you are scared because you got a great deal and you think something is majorly wrong?
I was wondering the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Um....
I have no comment on your worrying part.
But you shouldn't have bought extended warranty from the nissan dealer.
Extended warranties are the ways dealers rip customers off, usually, let alone having it bought from nissan for your BMW....
With my past experience with extended warranty from GM dealer, they forced to get parts from junk yard to save my out of pocket expense and still charged about 40% of all cost of repairs just because they couldn't get the parts approved to be replaced under the extended warranty. You just get thrown around between manufacturers because they don't honor the defects like your OEM warranty so I can only assume WORSE to get your parts on line from nissan dealer.
There's the reason why CPO cars are way more expensive then ordinary used cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
You can still get a refund on the Nissan Warranty, which I would probably do. Then wait and get a BMW warranty closer to expiration of the factory warranty.
This is the best comment yet.
No one should be getting "extended warranty"... till its almost towards the end of "original manufacturer warranty"...

Reasons? One may not have the car long enough to reach extended warranty...
      01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

+1. Get your $ back on the Nissan warranty. And go pay your local BMW dealer a visit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
pjm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
The dealer said that if the extended warranty goes unused at the end of the 5 years, I will get reimbursed 100% of the $2000.
I'd really study the fine print on this part of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
I just purchased a used '08 328xi with 29,000 miles for $25,000! I got it from a local Nissan dealership. The Carfax report says it was owned for ~11 months, and the car was purchased at auction in February 2009. So it's been sitting in the Nissan dealer's lot for almost a year. The dealer also had a pretty large selection of used luxury vehicles. BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

I don't know much about cars, but it looks like it's in good condition. There are some tiny scratches on the hood that someone tried to touch up, but they are barely noticeable to my untrained eye.

I still have 2 years/20k miles on the factory warranty. I also purchased a service plan (Nissan QualityGuard) for 5 years/60k miles for about $2000. I'm wondering if I should have gotten an extended warranty from a BMW dealership instead...The dealer said that if the extended warranty goes unused at the end of the 5 years, I will get reimbursed 100% of the $2000.

I felt like I was getting a good deal because it was several thousand dollars below the KBB price. Now I'm getting worried. Does this sound too good to be true? Could I have purchased a bad car? Should I have it inspected somewhere?

Maybe I'm worrying too much...I just bought my first BMW!

Thanks for your help!
At this point the car is yours so no need worrying. The main thing is that you are still under BMW Warranty. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
i335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i grey/coral red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post

....in one year you won't pay attention to any minor scratches anymore...and most likely you'll be thinking about your next BMW... till then, think about all the good things this car has! Performance, reliability, design...

Your decision was the right one from the very begining... you bought a BMW!

yeah especially that reliable HPFP
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
I won't get anything from Nissan. There is probably nothing wrong with the BMW itself, but anything from Nissan is a red light for me. The reason could be due to the sub-standard service from many Nissan dealerships within my area. Most if not all Nissan dealerships are excellent in getting their customers angry.

Being said, the only thing that got my attention is the Nissan Quality Guard. I would strongly advice you to get the $$ back if you can. Since BMW parts cost about twice as much (may be more) than the equivalent Nissan parts, the extended warranty offered by your dealership will probably not use BMW approved parts just to save $$. There might also be fine prints in the warranty statement that limits Nissan's liability on the warranty work.

Keep in mind that BMWs are a little bit more complicated to work with and most Nissan trained technicians will not have the slighest clue on how to work on the car. It's not like it's Acura in a Honda dealership.
I know its confusing, but the Nissan Warranty doesn't mean he has to get it worked on at that dealership, just that Nissan is the underwriter of the warranty. He would still take it to BMW. In either case, he needs to get it refunded, pocket that money for a couple years before buying a BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

So, you bought a 328 and haven't had any problems, yet you're wondering if it's a lemon? Stop worrying and get out there and drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #19
Woarrier
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi

Thanks for all the responses! I was so worried last night, but I felt awesome today driving around in my first BMW! I will look into getting the extended warranty refunded.

Here's a picture off the dealer's website:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0