E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > battery service indicator

01-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
tonee8519
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

battery service indicator

The battery service indicator light on my car came on a couple of days ago. Any of you guys have idea what could be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I know on my car the IBS sensor was replaced under warranty...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
tonee8519
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I know on my car the IBS sensor was replaced under warranty...
my car is not under warranty any more as its 2006. how much would i have to pay?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

There was an TSB on this issue for E60 5 Series with the N52 engine, if I remember correctly. Not sure if it applies for the 3er's or not.

Edit: It might, depends on what the problem really is. You might just need a new battery, but the IBS might also need replacement - especially if you have a light. Check this out, and potentially reference the TSB number while you are at the dealer:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B610509g.htm

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Roleez
E60 to E90 to E92
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I just started having an overnight discharge problem with my 330i. The car's been faultless until the other day. Car cranked soooo slow, then quit, followed by a flickering iDrive screen and a multitude of warning lights all over the place. Jumped car then took it to the dealer for them to diagnose for 2 days. Was told some interior light or accessory was left on indefinitely even though I DIDN'T leave any lights, doors, etc. on overnight. They reset the car's computer, cleared all faults, recharged the (original) battery, and sent me home. No new battery was needed despite the car's 6/06 build date because "it is still ok" per their tests. Took car home yesterday afternoon then again this morning, same problem! WTF?! Taking car in (again) tomorrow morning and will leave it with them for at least 2-3 days ... hopefully they can find something this time. Interestingly, the car has never flashed any "low battery" warnings on iDrive at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
I just started having an overnight discharge problem with my 330i. The car's been faultless until the other day. Car cranked soooo slow, then quit, followed by a flickering iDrive screen and a multitude of warning lights all over the place. Jumped car then took it to the dealer for them to diagnose for 2 days. Was told some interior light or accessory was left on indefinitely even though I DIDN'T leave any lights, doors, etc. on overnight. They reset the car's computer, cleared all faults, recharged the (original) battery, and sent me home. No new battery was needed despite the car's 6/06 build date because "it is still ok" per their tests. Took car home yesterday afternoon then again this morning, same problem! WTF?! Taking car in (again) tomorrow morning and will leave it with them for at least 2-3 days ... hopefully they can find something this time. Interestingly, the car has never flashed any "low battery" warnings on iDrive at all.
Well that crap they fed you about leaving a light on is bull because the car will shut down all lights after so long of them being on to NOT discharge your battery. I honestly think it's your battery just going out since it is just about 4 years old..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Roleez
E60 to E90 to E92
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Well that crap they fed you about leaving a light on is bull because the car will shut down all lights after so long of them being on to NOT discharge your battery. I honestly think it's your battery just going out since it is just about 4 years old..

Exactly! If you leave the doors/trunk open, or any interior light(s), the car will shut them off after several minutes of inactivity. Go figure ...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I have a 06 325i now with 4.5 yrs. on the battery. Its been real cold in DC area recently and I travel so my car sat awhile. Noticed slow start for the first time in the cold but it started. No battery fault but I noticed if I drove it for some time it starts great on the next morning in extreme cold. I hear you should just change the batteries at 4 years so I plan to do that just in case.

So try running the 330i for say 100 miles and see if it helps the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt55 View Post
I have a 06 325i now with 4.5 yrs. on the battery. Its been real cold in DC area recently and I travel so my car sat awhile. Noticed slow start for the first time in the cold but it started. No battery fault but I noticed if I drove it for some time it starts great on the next morning in extreme cold. I hear you should just change the batteries at 4 years so I plan to do that just in case.

So try running the 330i for say 100 miles and see if it helps the battery.
I changed my 2001 330 battery in 2007, never had any issues. Just decided I was on borrowed time after 7 years. My 2007 335 battery is still original, I've been told by my dealer that 6-7 years is the normal life of the batteries. 4 years seems awful short, but I know climate has a big factor (batteries tend to last only 2-3 years in Arizona).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
That will happen when you have a car that's built 20 years ago...

A way to get BMW to replace under warranty...a complete discharge and dead battery...

Couple months ago my battery was dying and had to jumpstart from time to time...Then eventually one day i took jump started....multiple warning about DSC/DTC, ABS, Brake assist....etc etc warning came on...and i drove straight to dealership....

the SA eventually replaced the battery since it was so dead (he said like there was only 6V in the battery)...and they tried to charge the battery and run system test and see if i got red-flagged by the computer on "custom lights"....however, they tired many times and the computer said "test-failure"...so the SA just write up some paperwork and give me a new battery and sent me off....

and no...there was NO indication or warning from iDrive saying battery low...there might be hints of slower crank start....but you won't notice until you can't start the car....
      01-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
I changed my 2001 330 battery in 2007, never had any issues. Just decided I was on borrowed time after 7 years. My 2007 335 battery is still original, I've been told by my dealer that 6-7 years is the normal life of the batteries. 4 years seems awful short, but I know climate has a big factor (batteries tend to last only 2-3 years in Arizona).
I guess also depends how short your daily commute is...
      01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
My 330xi had a similar problem. When parked, in about two hours, the battery has discharged to a point where the car electrics were completely non-functional. The car received a boost from an external battery, started, and displayed all sorts of error icons (except the "low battery") that disappeared after about a half minute of slow driving. A few days after this affair, the dealer looked into the error stack of the car computer and told me that the problem occurred because the car was left unlocked. "Left unlocked" explanation is not only unlikely, it also does not make sense: surely many cars are left unlocked inadvertently, and are still happy to see the owner, let him unlock the door and start. The silver lining of the story is that this exciting event has happened only once, six months ago, and so far has not been repeated.
Appreciate 0