E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Small metal plate in fuel tank?

01-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Marlon Bodicker
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 320D

Small metal plate in fuel tank?

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I took delivery of my new E90 320d sedan, and noticed something I've never noticed before. When I wanted to put some fuel in my car, I saw that there is a small metal plate in the fuel tank, a few centimeters below the filler cap. Here's a picture, it clearly shows what I'm on about.

My previous car (E46) did not have this metal plate. Does anybody know what this small plate is for?

Oh, by the way - I'll post some pictures of my car in the picture forum as soon as I get the chance. The weather is frightful at the moment, and my garage isn't the best location to show any car

Thanks!

Marlon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

It may be a latch to prevent gas fumes from escaping but I don't know exactly.
I think my 06 325i has a similar cap and when you put the gas nozzle in it opens.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Every car I have ever owned has had this metal flap on the gas tank... including my E46. Are your sure yours wasn't missing? haha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Marlon Bodicker
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
It may be a latch to prevent gas fumes from escaping but I don't know exactly.
I think my 06 325i has a similar cap and when you put the gas nozzle in it opens.
I don't think it's there to prevent gas fumes, because there are openings on the left and right side of the plate (not quite clear from the picture, but they're there).

The reason I ask is because I don't fuel at the gas station, so I have no gas nozzle - the handle I'm using no longer fits, without forcing it through/over the metal plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Every car I have ever owned has had this metal flap on the gas tank... including my E46. Are your sure yours wasn't missing? haha
Quite sure - I've actually never seen a plate like that, not on my E46, not on any of my previous cars!

Thanks guys,

Marlon
Appreciate 0