E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > You Won't Believe This. Need Advice

01-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

You Won't Believe This. Need Advice

So I dropped off my loaner car (Toy Corolla) yesterday to get my 335 serviced. This morning the dealer told me I caused windshield damage to their loaner! WTF?!! I had the freakin car for a day and don't recall anything hitting me. Before taking their loaner the day before, the "girl" walked me around the car and said just look for any body damages, dings or scratches. So everything looked ok. Her paper even said "hard to check due to car being dirty". Off I went. So yesterday when I dropped it off, they didn't even check-in the loaner until after I drove off. Today when I got to the dealer to check on this BS, the "girl" couldn't even find the damn damage. After looking some more, she found literally a speck less than 1 mm on the windshield, and wants me to pay. I raised hell and asked to speak to a manager, and of course everyone had left already. For all I know that speck could have been there already and we just didn't see it. I rented many cars in the past and no one ever expects the customer to go thru the car with fine-tooth-comb. They said the loaner car manager will contact me Monday about this. This is insane!! Any advice for me before talking to them on Monday?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
If it wasn't marked on the original sheet, it's a tough call. However.....

Windshield damage is easily repairable, and it's at no cost to them through their insurance company.

Don't let them make you pay for something stupid like that. Dings/Dents are one thing, but you can't control someone flinging a stone at you, no matter how small.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
cmor
cmor
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i sport & premium

You are in no way responsible, if the car was dirty when you picked it up then how can they confirm if the damage was or wasn't there. I'm surprised they even bothered with that, I've never had any trouble with loaners. I would just tell them, sorry I did not damage the vehicle thus I'm not paying for any repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I was given a nice Hyundai Sonata, and as I was driving away I was like wtf there's a crack in the windshield! Go back and the guy says no problem, but I don't have any more cars, can you go to the airport? (rented in the burbs) I will tell them you're coming.

Get to the airport, they have never heard of me or anything related to this car, and now they want me to fill out an accident report. I had a massive argument saying I just got this car, went right back, they had no cars and said I could come here to exchange. It was unreal. This kind of c*** is how they sell the full coverage insurance, on the pretense that you can avoid these situations and save time.

Long story short is I refused to sign anything and in the end they exchanged cars. But for a chip/crack that was already there, this had to happen. And I did lose 2 hours of my time that day. Good luck. All I can say is tell the truth. A chip is easily missed from anyplace but the driver or passenger seat. You did not see it when you did a walk around. Nothing wrong with the truth.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor View Post
...sorry I did not damage the vehicle thus I'm not paying for any repairs.
And with that, we should wish the OP better luck with his next dealer, because this advice is a sure-fire way to burn a bridge.

(You should know, I don't even disagree with what you're saying. But that is a relationship-ending sentence.)

If the dealer insists the OP pays, a fire-and-brimstone tirade might not be out of order. I mean, he might as well. It's the last time he's going to be there.

Some jokes with the loan manager might help. Like: I forgot to bring my magnifier when I looked at the windshield.

Look again at the car. Find any tiny imperfection and ask if they want you to pay for that, too. "Since this is a shakedown, right?"
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

The real question is....Why did they give you a shitty Corolla? Even more so, a dirty one? I mean, couldn't they have least ran it through the car wash?

Damn this makes me love my dealer even more. Nice clean bimmer loaner ready for me everytime I come into service.
      01-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
You are in no way responsible, if the car was dirty when you picked it up then how can they confirm if the damage was or wasn't there.
+1 That is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdaddy View Post
Her paper even said "hard to check due to car being dirty".
That says it all. BTW probably shouldn't mention the dealer while in the middle of a dispute...may fan the flames. You could've put up the same post without the name and used the member postings as levarge. You could say you have the potential to make this right or lose multiple customers...and show them the link of everyone on your side.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

This reminds me a lot of what happened to us on our trip to Germany last year. We rented from Avis (unfortunately), and after we brought it back, the check-in guy found a minuscule ding/rock chip in the driver's door that he claimed we caused, and on top of it wanted $800 to repair (basically enough to buy a whole new door). I thought it was awfully likely that it was preexisting, and even if not, something that probably happens all the time driving at higher Autobahn speeds. We were lucky to have purchased enhanced rental coverage (not from them, but from Amex, so they dealt with it, and we didn't have to pay. Still, that kind of crap just pisses you off, and needless to say, can't imagine ever giving Avis my business again.
      01-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
And with that, we should wish the OP better luck with his next dealer, because this advice is a sure-fire way to burn a bridge.

(You should know, I don't even disagree with what you're saying. But that is a relationship-ending sentence.)

If the dealer insists the OP pays, a fire-and-brimstone tirade might not be out of order. I mean, he might as well. It's the last time he's going to be there.

Some jokes with the loan manager might help. Like: I forgot to bring my magnifier when I looked at the windshield.

Look again at the car. Find any tiny imperfection and ask if they want you to pay for that, too. "Since this is a shakedown, right?"
Goody 4 - it is rare occasion to see cool heads on this forum; hence I rarely visit. It is a real pleasure to see your sage advice and wisdom in the midst of puerile replies. I certainly understand the frustration of the OP, but how problems are resolved is the measure of success - not merely the outcome.

Dick
      01-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Yeah that sucks. I usually get a 5.
      01-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Quote:
You are in no way responsible, if the car was dirty when you picked it up then how can they confirm if the damage was or wasn't there. I'm surprised they even bothered with that, I've never had any trouble with loaners. I would just tell them, sorry I did not damage the vehicle thus I'm not paying for any repairs.
+1 That's exactly what I will tell them, again on Monday. I don't care if it's a relationship ending sentence but the truth is the truth.....I didn't cause that chip. There're plenty of other dealers in this area looking for customers.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
MrZ
Second Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 330i

Just an advice, when you drop off the car, ask them to check it and give you a copy of the paper they fill in when you return a loaner (so that you have a proof that you returned a loaner and the condition in which it was returned) right on the spot. It's not like I am afraid that the dealer will purposely screw me up, it's just that almost every business is known for loosing/misplacing documents, keys, etc. Just don't want to waste a lot of my time and possibly money dealing with issues that may arise.
      01-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
The real question is....Why did they give you a shitty Corolla? Even more so, a dirty one? I mean, couldn't they have least ran it through the car wash?

Damn this makes me love my dealer even more. Nice clean bimmer loaner ready for me everytime I come into service.
+1 My dealer is looking a whole lot better...
      01-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Yeah, Enterprise Rent a car tried that on me once. I returned a car with a slight rock chip / scratch on the hood and they wanted me to pay to repair and re-paint the hood! I argued that rock chips are normal wear and tear and for them to get the entire hood re-painted is OVERKILL! I still ended up giving them $80 for paintless dent repair & last time I'll ever use Enterprise.

Ihateenterprise Ihatewinte

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

I am always cautious of renting any type of rental car. Every single car I rented to date has had some form of damage on it, dings, scratches, etc., Each time I walked through with the person marking the damages, I always find it impossible to note all damages unless say you have 20 minutes or more to check each panel.

Best to protect yourself when renting a car with something like this:

https://www152.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

$18 in California.

Acts as primary insurance against damage to the rental car. Does not protect you against body injury/property damage to other parties, say you hit another car or person walking on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

this is just another way for the companies to skrew you out of $$$

they have probably billed many customers for each and every dimple, chip, scratch ect ect.. on their rental.

well one thing you could do is IF you cave in and pay for the windshield replacement (since THEY SAY it needs it) is DEMAND the old "chipped" windshield in return since YOU paid for it.. its yours

when I rent a car I carry one of those cheap windshield repair kits with me.
they work great and they are cheap. (for most repairs)
      01-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

Saturday I dropped off my E91 to get inspected for CPO as lease is up in March. I got a 335i sedan as a loaner and drove away. After lunch the wife noticed in the upper drivers side corner of the windshield a huge crack that spreads approx 6" across. I immediately turned around and went back to the dealer to bring it to their attention. It was not visible from the outside unless you got very close as it was shielded by accumulated dirt. Anyway dealer rep came out noted it and I went on my way.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Slowlane
GreenPea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 I

M.O. used by all agencies.. sad days we live in.. sorry to hear the grief.. you need to maintain cool head when dealing with them.. I have had the same experience with the rentals.. do not pay for the wind screen.. stand your ground, tell them you will take it to arbitration, and or give it to your attorney...
Appreciate 0