E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help me identify this part!

01-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
deanmc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Exclamation Help me identify this part!

So I found out that one of the many rattles in my car came from the rear ashtray below the rear vents. I changed that out to the "angry robot" storage tray, and while switching the piece out, came across this.

It plugs into a two-wired harness, and feels like a slab of metal. It's stamped with the BMW logo, and beneath that, the number "6922211." On the right side, it's stamped "SIEMENS VDO." It snaps onto the bottom of the ashtray/storage tray, and I had to remove it to get to the ashtray tabs first.

Does anyone know what this piece is or what it does? It's plugged in, so it's some type of electronics, but what? I did a search, and the members that did the swap don't mention this. Apparently, some care have this, and some don't. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by deanmc; 01-08-2010 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535

That is the interior antenna for convenience access.

www.realoem.com > click here to enter > paste 7 digit part # > search button
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I think it goes to the flux capacitor. Just don't go over 88 mph until you reattach it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
HellaCockter
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
So I found out that one of the many rattles in my car came from the rear ashtray below the rear vents. I changed that out to the "angry robot" storage tray, and while switching the piece out, came across this.

It plugs into a two-wired harness, and feels like a slab of metal. It's stamped with the BMW logo, and beneath that, the number "6922211." On the right side, it's stamped "SIEMENS VDO." It snaps onto the bottom of the ashtray/storage tray, and I had to remove it to get to the ashtray tabs first.

Does anyone know what this piece is or what it does? It's plugged in, so it's some type of electronics, but what? I did a search, and the members that did the swap don't mention this. Apparently, some care have this, and some don't. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've been trying to figure this out big-time for a couple days my first car I crashed has that antenna module with a wire in it but my new car which is also an 06 330i doesn't even have the module much less the wire that goes into it. It's referred to as an interior antenna for convenience and also I saw YouTube video that it controls keyless door entry and or remote key fob star. But my car fob still locks and unlocks the doors.. with just the one wire going to the top larger box but the Siemens VDO 6922211 I installed in my new car because the back of the center console on my old car was better-looking so I replaced the two and that's how I found out my first car had the two wires which one of the wires went into the Siemens box. But I have absolutely no idea what its functionality is!!!! And the replies below are ridiculous because some cars don't even have them at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0