E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Alarm & dog inside the cabin

01-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Alarm & dog inside the cabin

Bear with me on this...I could really use some help.

My e90 330i has the factory alarm installed with NO motion sensor.

My family just got a new dog and I took him out for some quick errands. Dog was in the cabin; I got out of the car, closed the door, activated the alarm (which locks the doors too). When I came back out, the alarm had gone off, presumably because the dog had shifted around the cabin. So arming the alarm is a no go.

Here's the problem - I can't seem to lock the car after it's been turned off without activating the alarm.

The center lock button on the dash wont lock the doors if one door is open.

The center lock button will lock all the doors if all doors are closed.

But if I close all the doors, hit the lock button, then open my drivers door, I can't manually re-lock just the drivers door-I pushed down on the plastic lock tube-thing y but it wont go down into the lock-position.

So if I want the dog to be in the car while I'm running errands, the best I can do is to have 3 doors locked, with the driver's side remaining unlocked. I think that' total bs and there's got to be a better way. I'm really starting to regret the alarm
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

If I remember correctly, you can arm the alarm and still have everything work out, as long as you are sure you don't have the motion sensor.

When leaving your dog in the car with the alarm on, press lock once to lock the car, then press lock again right after. The second lock should tell the car alarm to not start activating should shifting occur in the car.

Good luck, I hope that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post

Are you sure you don't have the motion sensor? As far as I knew, every late model BMW with the factory alarm has an interior motion sensor except for the convertibles.

Anyway, as JackFu said, to disable the motion sensor you press the lock button on the remote twice (once to lock/arm the system and then a second time to disable the motion sensor).

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:

My family just got a new dog and I took him out for some quick errands. Dog was in the cabin; I got out of the car, closed the door, activated the alarm (which locks the doors too). When I came back out, the alarm had gone off, presumably because the dog had shifted around the cabin. So arming the alarm is a no go.

Here's the problem - I can't seem to lock the car after it's been turned off without activating the alarm.

The center lock button on the dash wont lock the doors if one door is open.

The center lock button will lock all the doors if all doors are closed.

But if I close all the doors, hit the lock button, then open my drivers door, I can't manually re-lock just the drivers door-I pushed down on the plastic lock tube-thing y but it wont go down into the lock-position.

So if I want the dog to be in the car while I'm running errands, the best I can do is to have 3 doors locked, with the driver's side remaining unlocked. I think that' total bs and there's got to be a better way. I'm really starting to regret the alarm
The REAL problem is that you are trying to lock the dog in the car !!!! NOT GOOD !!!! You may very well come back to a DEAD DOG
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Are you sure you don't have the motion sensor? As far as I knew, every late model BMW with the factory alarm has an interior motion sensor except for the convertibles.

Anyway, as JackFu said, to disable the motion sensor you press the lock button on the remote twice (once to lock/arm the system and then a second time to disable the motion sensor).

Mike
+1

You probably have the motion sensor. To double check, open a front window, arm the alarm by pressing the alarm button once, and wave inside the cabin from outside the car. Best to wait a minute or so after arming the alarm before doing this. If your waving causes the alarm to go off, then you have the motion sensor. As the other posters have noted, pressing the alarm button twice (one more time after the beep) deactivates the motion sensor.

Otherwise, after locking yourself in the car, reach over and open the passenger door. Then get out, and from the passenger side seat, reach over to lock the driver side door. Unlike the driver side, the passenger side door will let you lock itself. This is quite a roundabout way of doing it, so hopefully you find that you have the motion sensor and can disable it by pressing the alarm button twice.

My aunt has a 325xi with an alarm, where the door unlock buttons were near the shifter. Her dogs would set off the alarm because they would walk over the door unlock button, press it, and set of the alarm. Hopefully this isn't what is happening here. She ended up having to put a piece of cardboard over the door unlock button to prevent the dogs from hitting it.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm positive there's no motion sensor bc it was out of stock when I got the alarm installed. Now that it's in-stock, the dealer (Passport) wants $200 for programming, even though I already paid around that amount to activate the alarm itself. That's another story all together...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
The REAL problem is that you are trying to lock the dog in the car !!!! NOT GOOD !!!! You may very well come back to a DEAD DOG
haha, maybe from hypothermia. it's bone-chillingly cold here in DC, so I hit the recirculate button on my way out. haven't left the dog for more than 30min yet. he's a solid 60-lb big boy so i think he'll be OK for quick winter-time errands.

Last edited by aesfah; 01-07-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
haha, maybe from hypothermia. it's bone-chillingly cold here in DC, so I hit the recirculate button on my way out. haven't left the dog for more than 30min yet. he's a solid 60-lb big boy so i think he'll be OK for a quick winter-time errands.
I Leave my Pit Bull in my car, thats all the alarm I need lol. I leave the windows down and the dog inside, she knows whats up
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Jakubx80
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

You've a dog inside of the car. Why do you need your alarm on? Lol

Now seriously, did you try the old fashioned way and just using your key instead of a remote? I wouldn't think it will arm the alarm.

Delivered 12/16/09
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakubx80 View Post
You've a dog inside of the car. Why do you need your alarm on? Lol

Now seriously, did you try the old fashioned way and just using your key instead of a remote? I wouldn't think it will arm the alarm.
the dog is a big sweetheart - i think he'd probably kiss anyone who came inside. the key arms the alarm too. i'll try the suggestion about hitting the lock button 2x. there's gotta be a way to lock all the doors without activating the alarm...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
the dog is a big sweetheart - i think he'd probably kiss anyone who came inside. the key arms the alarm too. i'll try the suggestion about hitting the lock button 2x. there's gotta be a way to lock all the doors without activating the alarm...
So is my Pit, but people dont know that, and im sure they dont have the balls to find out lol

and yes, lock the doors witht he key from the outside of the car (physically put the key in the door, like the old days) and turn it to the left (i think) and it will lock the doors.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You can disable the tilt sensor and motion detector via the keyfob after you lock the doors.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 04-26-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm positive there's no motion sensor bc it was out of stock when I got the alarm installed. Now that it's in-stock, the dealer (Passport) wants $200 for programming, even though I already paid around that amount to activate the alarm itself. That's another story all together...
Has to have a motion sensor. Why else would it be going off unless there was something wrong with the alarm itself.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
E92_328i_Boston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Agreed. How else would it have gone off? Either don't activate the motion sensor by hitting the button a second time -OR- lock the door with the actual metal key after getting out.

-A
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_328i_Boston View Post
Agreed. How else would it have gone off? Either don't activate the motion sensor by hitting the button a second time -OR- lock the door with the actual metal key after getting out.

-A
On domestic vehicles, the factory alarm will trip if you unlock the doors from inside the cabin, once it's been armed.

So if the dog bumped the central lock button, I'd think it would set it off.

Easy enough to confirm though.....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
E92_328i_Boston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Interesting,,,,that could certainly be possible. Although, the unlock button on my E46 was much more "step-on-able" than where it is on my E92.

-A
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Just a thought. Never actual thought about it much until I locked my mom and my daugher in the truck and ran into the shoe store. Was an emerengy bathroom requirement from the daughter and when my mom opened the door, all came unglued.

Also found that reconnecting the battery once the alarm was armed will do the same thing (at least on the GM vehicles).

Maybe he's a little Houdini and uses his nose to press the button????
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep

i think the alarm comes with a shock-sensor of sorts, so if the car is bumped hard enough, sways, or is jacked, the shock sensor should activate the alarm. i think the dog shifted his weight around and that must've triggered the alarm. im 100% sure there is no motion sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
+1 on the pressing lock twice.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

It's illegal to lock your dog in the car. And if you double lock the the car with the remote lock button it should turn off the motion sensor.

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
i'm not sure how your motion sensor is missing... I thought it had to be installed to complete the alarm.... unless they somehow installed the wrong version (from a convertible) into your car...

or...

I know on some early models, there was a thing where the slots in the overhead lights for the motion sensor weren't there and had to be replaced when installing an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #22
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
It's illegal to lock your dog in the car.
Thanks for the legal advice, but as a lawyer, I think I'm on solid ground
http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gtr/21-1004.1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
I know on some early models, there was a thing where the slots in the overhead lights for the motion sensor weren't there and had to be replaced when installing an alarm.
Bingo! My sensors were to go in the overhead slots...had they been in-stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Last time when I was at an Acura dealership and the driver lock her doggy in the car. The dog pressed and released the e-brake and the car (MT) rolled into a brand new Acura that my friend was test driving.
LOL. that's one talented dog. I have an auto so that wont be a problem.
Appreciate 0