E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Limp Mode?

01-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
ubersok
newbie.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: none.

Limp Mode?

so i got a problem. correct me if i'm wrong, but limp mode is when the half engine sign lights up on your dashboard, right?

well. recently, my car has been acting a little strange. i turn on the car, and let it heat up for a couple of minutes. (i have a 335i.) and then the exhaust starts to change sound. more like a deeper, uglier, and more bassy sound. and then the engine sign lights up. and when i lightly press down the acceleration, the exhaust doesn't sound clean at all. so i turn off my car. wait about 30 seconds, and i turn my car back on. and the limp mode(?) goes away. is this a problem you ever encountered?

Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersok View Post
so i got a problem. correct me if i'm wrong, but limp mode is when the half engine sign lights up on your dashboard, right?

well. recently, my car has been acting a little strange. i turn on the car, and let it heat up for a couple of minutes. (i have a 335i.) and then the exhaust starts to change sound. more like a deeper, uglier, and more bassy sound. and then the engine sign lights up. and when i lightly press down the acceleration, the exhaust doesn't sound clean at all. so i turn off my car. wait about 30 seconds, and i turn my car back on. and the limp mode(?) goes away. is this a problem you ever encountered?
If your car is still under warranty, just bring it into the dealer. They'll let you know what's wrong with your car. From your post, I don't think that you have a tune in your car, correct? And I think it might be your HPFP.

GL!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
ubersok
newbie.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
If your car is still under warranty, just bring it into the dealer. They'll let you know what's wrong with your car. From your post, I don't think that you have a tune in your car, correct? And I think it might be your HPFP.

GL!
i see thanks a lot, yeah i don't have a tune. but like the problem is it only lasts for a couple of minutes, and i can easily fix the problem by turning off my car, and turning it back on. and... i wouldn't know how to explain it properly to the dealer.. hahah..

Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 AW

So how do you know you are in limp mode? Recently I feel like I've lost a little power, but that may just all be in my head.
2009 335i E92 | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | M-Tech Kit | M3 Lip Spoiler | BMW Black Grilles | BMW PE | Dinan S2| BSH OCC | Sport Package | Premium Package | Logic7 | iDrive | VMR 19" V710 Gunmetal | Sports Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters | Tinted Windows | GP Thunder 8500K V2 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Its when you look down at the road at that sweet asphalt, your hearts pounding, your ready to go, but your just cant get it up. Your revs drop down. The road looks back at you with a disappointed "I cant believe this shit" glance, and your full smile turns into a half engine light.

That my friend, is limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
thlax
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.8 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersok View Post

Just because the light went away doesnt meant the prob is fixed. Your cars computer remembers all of its errors so just take it in and the computer 95% time can tell the bmw guys whats wrong.
2010 335xi M Sport
2003.5 e46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

my car is in always in hard mode, sorry about your limp problem
Appreciate 0