E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > stop-and-go traffice/basic clutch question

01-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

stop-and-go traffice/basic clutch question

when I'm crawling in stop-and-go traffic, to minimize wear and tear on the clutch, is it better to keep the clutch pedal to the floor while in first gear until I get to move again, or is it better to stay in neutral with my foot off the clutch, shift to first when I can move, back to neutral when stopped, repeat.

Or something entirely different?

Thanks.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

you put extended wear on throw out bearing and such when you have the clutch in for no reason. I find it easier to just go to neutral and then 1st when needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Neutral, foot off the clutch.

When you depress the clutch, the clutch is riding on the release bearing.

That being said, unless you are at an ungodly long light, and your leg is cramping up, you're probably better off to just keep the clutch to the floor, as pumping the clutch in/out wears other components as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendler View Post
when I'm crawling in stop-and-go traffic, to minimize wear and tear on the clutch, is it better to keep the clutch pedal to the floor while in first gear until I get to move again, or is it better to stay in neutral with my foot off the clutch, shift to first when I can move, back to neutral when stopped, repeat.

Thanks.
You know that you can crawl on 1st of 2nd without touching gas pedal?
Very handy in heavy traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
WestTexas335
BMW CCA member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i

I always stay in neutral (foot off the clutch) until I can sift to first and go. My dad taught me early on not to ride the clutch. Don't even try to creep with the automatics. Leave a gap, engage the clutch and go.

2010/E90/335i/manual/MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendler View Post

Thanks.
Something else entirely. Get an automatic. [/sarcasm]

If you're fully stopped, you should be in neutral with foot off clutch. But I'm going to say, do something else entirely different. In "stop-n-go" traffic, you really never should come to a full stop. What I find useful, is if you're in said traffic, is to leave about 1.5-2 car's length space between you and the car in front of you. Leave car in 1st or 2nd gear, and use the throttle to speed up and slow down. Look PAST the car in front of you, either look to the right lane or left lane, and if you see brake lights light up about 3-5 cars in front, ease off the throttle and let the engine do the braking for you. Clutch in when the engine starts to "lug".

By using this technique, it saves a lot of grief and wear and tear on the clutch, brake, and engine. For years I used to drive through the WORST traffic in the world during rush hour, on the 405 between LAX and West L.A. And I can always drive home in said traffic without touching the brake through the majority of the trip.

Now, some of you are going to say, well, if you leave that 1.5-2 car length between you and the car in front, wouldn't someone jump in and cut you off? Well, yeah...But what does that really gain for the douche? He/she's going to be stuck in front of you the whole time but cutting you off. In my experience, in real stop-n-go traffic, people will quickly realize that cutting and filling that little gap that you leave gains them absolutely nothing and 2.5 hours later and 5 miles into the drive, they're still sitting right in front of you.

That and that 1.5-2 car length gap gives you the opportunity to accelerate fast to move into the lane next to you rather than riding someone's bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

yea...what he said. Clutch in= wear throw out bearing. Leave space, and almost pretend the car infront of you isn't doing what it is doing and look at the car ahead of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Neutral, foot off the clutch.

When you depress the clutch, the clutch is riding on the release bearing.

That being said, unless you are at an ungodly long light, and your leg is cramping up, you're probably better off to just keep the clutch to the floor, as pumping the clutch in/out wears other components as well.
This is what I do. If stuck in traffic and my leg cramps I put my left foot on the brake and shake my right leg out. I never depress the clutch for an extended period of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I agree with the above about not riding the clutch.

If you are new to manual transmissions, I highly recommend driving in traffic. Other than motorcycles and learning to drive one at 14 I had no experience. The 2nd and 3rd day I had my car I was caught in hellacious traffic. I learned a lot in those two days.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I agree with the above about not riding the clutch.

If you are new to manual transmissions, I highly recommend driving in traffic. Other than motorcycles and learning to drive one at 14 I had no experience. The 2nd and 3rd day I had my car I was caught in hellacious traffic. I learned a lot in those two days.
Well said - glad someone mentioned motorcycles, the wonders of fully manual driving. Operating a clutch on a large motorcycle stuck in a heavy traffic is a good lesson for anyone driving a manual transmission car in a heavy traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Something else entirely. Get an automatic. [/sarcasm]

If you're fully stopped, you should be in neutral with foot off clutch. But I'm going to say, do something else entirely different. In "stop-n-go" traffic, you really never should come to a full stop. What I find useful, is if you're in said traffic, is to leave about 1.5-2 car's length space between you and the car in front of you. Leave car in 1st or 2nd gear, and use the throttle to speed up and slow down. Look PAST the car in front of you, either look to the right lane or left lane, and if you see brake lights light up about 3-5 cars in front, ease off the throttle and let the engine do the braking for you. Clutch in when the engine starts to "lug".

By using this technique, it saves a lot of grief and wear and tear on the clutch, brake, and engine. For years I used to drive through the WORST traffic in the world during rush hour, on the 405 between LAX and West L.A. And I can always drive home in said traffic without touching the brake through the majority of the trip.

Now, some of you are going to say, well, if you leave that 1.5-2 car length between you and the car in front, wouldn't someone jump in and cut you off? Well, yeah...But what does that really gain for the douche? He/she's going to be stuck in front of you the whole time but cutting you off. In my experience, in real stop-n-go traffic, people will quickly realize that cutting and filling that little gap that you leave gains them absolutely nothing and 2.5 hours later and 5 miles into the drive, they're still sitting right in front of you.

That and that 1.5-2 car length gap gives you the opportunity to accelerate fast to move into the lane next to you rather than riding someone's bumper.
This^

I used to get stuck in 'stop-n-go' traffic on my way to work every day for about 2 years driving my 6MT 328. Driving this way is best when in this type of situation by far. AND, because you're not using your brakes and keeping a steady (albeit slow) pace, you're actually helping to lessen the traffic since people always hit their own brakes when they see brake lights ahead regardless.

Ever wonder why sometimes there's a bottleneck and all of a sudden it clears up with no accident or other disturbance? A group of cars probably started braking which caused the cars behind to brake, and it snowballed a mile back into a traffic jam.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

Fully agreed, very well said.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
335i_LeMans_pkgmax
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 09 - 335i Xdrive Sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexas335 View Post
I always stay in neutral (foot off the clutch) until I can sift to first and go. My dad taught me early on not to ride the clutch. Don't even try to creep with the automatics. Leave a gap, engage the clutch and go.
Eggzactly
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

thanks gentlemen. good stuff.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0