E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > help needed!

01-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

help needed!

ok so i am about to buy an e92 335xi.. and i was wondering what are some of the MUST HAVE options for the 335? reason i am asking is because at first i was going to purchase the e92 m3 but decided against it and chose the 335 but the problem is i dont know much about the 335 options.. anyway i called up a few dealers and they have some 2010 e92 335xi on the lots and was wondering if any of these were a fair deal and if i am not missing any MUST HAVE options..

All e92 335xi:

1) 56,300 out the door price.. black on black
options: sport (not m sport), ipod, premium, cold, nav, satellite radio

2) 59,600 out the door price.. white on black
options: everything except msport and keyless entry

3) 56,00 out the door price.. black on red
options: premium, heated front seats, nav, cold, ipod

4) 54,500 out the door price.. montego blue on black
options: premium, heated front seats, nav

From these 4 i was seriously considering the 4th option for 54,500.. only reason i am not pulling the trigger is because of the no sport package.. is this a must have on a 335? if i only get the regular sport is it worth getting the m sport instead? also i have heard form the dealerships that if i dont get either sport package i wont have the paddle shifters is this true? Oh and yes i am getting an automatic

Anyway i just wanted to know what all of you guys think of what i have available to me.. Are the prices fair? Am i missing any must haves? Do paddle shifters only come with the sport packages? I can use all the help i can get and would like to thank everyone of you guys in advance!

note: none of the above 335xi's have the keyless entry and keyless startup option.. is this something i will regret? from the prices above is this something i should already be getting?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Okay, I'll take a crack at this. First off, options are subjective and also depend on the user. For example, heated seats are probably not too important to someone in Florida versus someone in Michigan during the winter. But you asked for our opinions, so here goes ...

Sports vs. mSport
I think most people would agree that you have to get the Sports package - but not the msport. The Sports package allows for a more competitive drive, bigger wheels and more sporty suspension. The sports suspension is lower and firmer and the speed is electronically limited to 155 mph instead of 130 mph on non-sports cars. Disclaimer: I don't personally have the sport package or want it, but most people on the forum swear by it. On the other hand, the msport is purely cosmetic, so it is not really a necessity. Besides, you can buy aftermarket msport pieces. I have the ///m footrest, for instance.

Comfort Access
Regarding Comfort Access, most people that have it, love it. I don't have it because I usually am riding with someone, so I have to use the key fob to open the car for my guests, anyway. But most people find it really useful.

Pricing
I think it is Edmunds.com that has a good calculator, which allows you to price the car with options and see the invoice and MSRP price.

Generally, you want to aim for $500 to $1000 above invoice.

Most Important
But the most important advice I can give is that you should take your time in finding the right car. You are in a buyer's market right now. You can get good interest rates and get a good bargain if you take your time and work one dealer's quote off another. Frankly, since you are buying new, you should look at European Delivery or at least pre-order your car so you get exactly what you want. I spent nearly a year researching options and financing before I pulled the trigger!

Let us know how it goes!

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)

Last edited by bmw-hoya; 01-06-2010 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Sports vs. mSport
I think most people would agree that you have to get the Sports package - but not the msport. The Sports package allows for a more competitive drive, bigger wheels and more sporty suspension. The sports suspension is lower and firmer and the speed is electronically limited to 155 mph instead of 130 mph on non-sports cars. Disclaimer: I don't personally have the sport package or want it, but most people on the forum swear by it. On the other hand, the msport is purely cosmetic, so it is not really a necessity. Besides, you can buy aftermarket msport pieces. I have the ///m footrest, for instance.
It matters much less for an xDrive. You don't get the sport suspension anyway.

Agreed with all your other points though. If you like the sport seats (which are very nice) and care about the higher top speed limiter, then go for it. If you don't, then it's certainly not a "must have" item. ZMP is indeed purely cosmetic.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Go build the E92 of your dreams on the BMWUSA website and then compare the options you chose, color, interior, to the price and options for the cars on the lot.
      01-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
But if you made me pick, I'd go with option 1.

If I didn't care about the sport package, I'd go with option 4

Only because I'm obsessed with the Montego - even if it is over black interior.
      01-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

The Msport package also disallows the heated steering wheel, something you may want in NY. Sport allows it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Comfort Access
Regarding Comfort Access, most people that have it, love it. I don't have it because I usually am riding with someone, so I have to use the key fob to open the car for my guests, anyway. But most people find it really useful.

Pricing
I think it is Edmunds.com that has a good calculator, which allows you to price the car with options and see the invoice and MSRP price.

Generally, you want to aim for $500 to $1000 above invoice.

Most Important
But the most important advice I can give is that you should take your time in finding the right car. You are in a buyer's market right now. You can get good interest rates and get a good bargain if you take your time and work one dealer's quote off another. Frankly, since you are buying new, you should look at European Delivery or at least pre-order your car so you get exactly what you want. I spent nearly a year researching options and financing before I pulled the trigger!

Let us know how it goes!

I have comfort access (AND I LOVE IT!), never take the key out of my pocket, when I grab the door handle, I have it set through I drive (a must have for its complete car integration)to open both doors at once. Makes the push button start make a lot more sense.
I have used edmunds for years and thier TMV True Market Value price based on your zip code has been fairly spot on for most of the deals I got.(had the dealer price match a Texas price on an S2000 I bought)
The last part is sooooo true. Take your time, get as close to exactly what you want as possible. Or if you have patience, order it, and get EXACTLY what you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
It matters much less for an xDrive. You don't get the sport suspension anyway.

Agreed with all your other points though. If you like the sport seats (which are very nice) and care about the higher top speed limiter, then go for it. If you don't, then it's certainly not a "must have" item. ZMP is indeed purely cosmetic.

so if i was to get the xdrive 335 would the msport be worth it? also is getting the non xdrive 335 something i should look into if i get the msport? also if you get the regular sport (not msport) do i still get the sport suspension? what i am trying to ask is 335xi with msport or 335i with msport.. my opinion is that the xdrive is better than the RWD in terms of handling and speed... correct me if i am wrong!

also i got another deal which i think has been the best so far:

brand new e92 335xi lemans blue on black : msport pack, automatic trans, cold, premium, logic7, satellite radio, nav, car alarm, ipod, 18inch
56,800 out the door. what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
so if i was to get the xdrive 335 would the msport be worth it? also is getting the non xdrive 335 something i should look into if i get the msport? also if you get the regular sport (not msport) do i still get the sport suspension? what i am trying to ask is 335xi with msport or 335i with msport.. my opinion is that the xdrive is better than the RWD in terms of handling and speed... correct me if i am wrong!

also i got another deal which i think has been the best so far:

brand new e92 335xi lemans blue on black : msport pack, automatic trans, cold, premium, logic7, satellite radio, nav, car alarm, ipod, 18inch
56,800 out the door. what do you guys think?
The M-Sport Package (ZMP) is purely cosmetic. On a non-xDrive car, you get the same sport suspension with ZMP and ZSP (sport package). You can't get the true sport suspension on ANY xDrive car, regardless of equipment level and options - xDrive has it's own unique setup.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
The M-Sport Package (ZMP) is purely cosmetic. On a non-xDrive car, you get the same sport suspension with ZMP and ZSP (sport package). You can't get the true sport suspension on ANY xDrive car, regardless of equipment level and options - xDrive has it's own unique setup.

so if i get a xDrive with no sport package what kind of suspension would i get? also is xDrive suspension worse than the sport suspension i would get on a non xDrive 335 with msport?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so if i get a xDrive with no sport package what kind of suspension would i get?
Still the same xDrive suspension. As I said above, with xDrive, you get the same suspension no matter what.

Quote:
also is xDrive suspension worse than the sport suspension i would get on a non xDrive 335 with msport?
Worse? That's a vague statement. It's a bit softer compared to the sport suspension.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i have quite a dillema now.. i have been quoted 56,600 for a brand new 2010 e92 335xi fully loaded with m sport like i mentioned a couple posts above only thing it dosent have is comfort access i think. Now i have been looking at 2006 e46 m3s and i saw that i can get one with nav and everything for about 35-40k with something like >30k miles.

i have heard the 335's are notorious for their HPFP failures and was wondering if this was covered in the factory warranty.. meaning i dont pay a penny to get it replaced. My fear is that if it is covered by the warranty what happens when it runs out? i have heard some people change their HPFP almost 6 times a year! how much would this cost me when my warranty runs out? my second problem is that if i choose to the m3 route, most likely the warranty would be over on the 06 models and was wondering if any of the 06 models have known issues? and is owning an m3 a bad idea out of warranty? i am almost 90% sure replacing parts on the m3 is alot more expensive than on the 335.. correct me if i am wrong..

Please let me know your opinions! =)
Appreciate 0