E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coats of Paint

01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Coats of Paint

Getting a bumper painted - how many coats of paint should I expect? This painter is telling me a base coat and a clear coat. Is that enough?

Any other questions I should be asking to find 'the right painter'?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Primer...?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Depends on how good the shop is.

Average coats would be:

Single coat of filler primer (or 2 coats of primer if not using filler)
3 coats of base color
3 - 4 coats of clear coat

High end shops will add 2 coats of everything including the primer as filler is sprayed, sanded and primered again.
(Very general idea given, but basic)

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I would ask him what process he uses ........ product line (DuPont, PPG .. PPG would be the best match to the OEM grade of paint).

Is he going to use a filler primer? (It's expensive, but definitely leads to a quality finish and tends to be a much more durable bond/base for the color)

Will the finish be wet sanded & buffed to match the clarity to the rest of the car? Or will it just be buffed? (you want the finish to be wet sanded AND buffed. Wet sanding will ensure the finish is 99% perfect with regard to particles embedded in the clear)

If you're going to another independant shop then it's always a good thing to see any other work they've recently done. Although this would be better based upon your car receiving a total repaint.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate the response Toad The guy I'm most likely going to go with has a good reputation but is hard to get information out of sometimes.

His response on method was that he uses PPG, 3 good coats of clear - color sanding and buffing is also included.

So I guess the only question at this point is how many coats of primer/filler and how many coats of base he will be using.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Generally speaking bumper covers require flexible paint so you don't always paint them with as many coats of paint as the body of the car. The paint also requires an additive to make the paint more flexible to prevent chipping.
Not so much these days though. The older GM, Ford etc models required a flex agaen be added to the base only, not the clear. The problem was the fact that the flex agent caused a contrast in color & typically would not match the rest of the body color.

Now, most paint is water based which lends to some flexibility. Something else to watch out for is the fact that if a car's painted plastic/poly bumper is hit with enough force; damage is likely to appear at some point down the road in the form of hairline cracks within the base coat ....... beneath the clear coat.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Appreciate the response Toad The guy I'm most likely going to go with has a good reputation but is hard to get information out of sometimes.

His response on method was that he uses PPG, 3 good coats of clear - color sanding and buffing is also included.

So I guess the only question at this point is how many coats of primer/filler and how many coats of base he will be using.
I'd say you're safe with this painted then. Most of the painters I've worked with were funny about giving away any "secrets" they developed with regard to application etc. The good ones don't like to talk about, but would rather just do it. Kinda like the "hoes" that used to prowl Van Buren (or do they still??).

Filler primer is also known as the "yellow" primer. If the bumper is being repainted then he may use it. If the bumper is brand new & receiving it's first coat of paint then there isn't much need for it. Good shops use it for its durability & overall quality while average shops may use it to cover up mediocre work (filling in sanding marks rather than sanding them smooth).

Appreciate 0