E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Navigation DVD

08-16-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
Flash
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Navigation DVD

I removed my navigation DVD from the DVD drive and the navigation still worked perfectly. What is the use of the navigation DVD? I have the business navigation system
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

With the Business NAV system you enter your route and the computer then loads the info from the DVD.

You can then Remove the DVD sothat you can play a audio cd

Only if you change your route do you need to reinsert the Nav DVD

Professional Nav always needs its DVD while navigating
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Thumpzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi/06/Loaded!!

I am about to order the 330I. People tell me the BMW Nav system isn't any good, hard to read ect. I swore my next Bimmer I would get Navi. Can you guys tell me is the Idrive really that bad, is the nav system any good, is it popular for a 3 series?

Thanks so much,
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Thumpzilla: I think a big reason for the iDrive's lack of popluarity among E90 owners is the fact that it costs $2000--$2000 that can easily go towards something else like the sport or premium package, or even an upgrade from a 325i to the 330i. It all depends what you want.

Did you use it yet? If not, go to a dealer and ask them to let you play around with it for a little while. It definitely has a long learning curve (like about 2 weeks) but I can't do without it now that I have it. I wanted ALL the toys, so I got the iDrive on my car. I have no complaints with it all. But that's just me. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpzilla
People tell me the BMW Nav system isn't any good, hard to read ect.
Hey,

Most people who critisize something have never seen, felt or used it before. Now who actually told you about the fact the nav is hard to read? Whoever did proves to me that they have NEVER seen the current e90 idrive nav system.

It couldn't be more clear. You really need to see this for yourself to truly appreciate the nav system. It works 100% fine for me.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
Hoenir
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330I

I have no problem with the nav itself, but my town is covered compltely, only the main roads (hopefully everything will be covered in the 2006 DVD)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

IDtive is great, if only peple would take 20min to read the manual and learn the basics
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #8
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
IDtive is great, if only peple would take 20min to read the manual and learn the basics
I have, I´ve used it in several cars (7 and 5 series), I´ve used the voice commands, the whole lot. And I´m an IT Consultant by profession.

My unliking of I-drive is not for lack of wanting to like it or for lack of trying and readin up.
It´s still a suboptimal solution to a problem that I never had before the advent of i-drive. So I´ll simply pass on it as long as I can.

If it´s fine with anybody else, that´s fine with me. I´m not trying to convert anyone (although I have tried to convert everyone I know towards SMG wich is great, but unfortunately not available for the E90)
      08-18-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
I have, I´ve used it in several cars (7 and 5 series), I´ve used the voice commands, the whole lot. And I´m an IT Consultant by profession.

My unliking of I-drive is not for lack of wanting to like it or for lack of trying and readin up.
It´s still a suboptimal solution to a problem that I never had before the advent of i-drive. So I´ll simply pass on it as long as I can.

If it´s fine with anybody else, that´s fine with me. I´m not trying to convert anyone (although I have tried to convert everyone I know towards SMG wich is great, but unfortunately not available for the E90)
Just shows not everyody likes everything

Ill not take another car without Idrive, but hate SMG in a non //M car

SMG will be released in europe in Septmber
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just shows not everyody likes everything

Ill not take another car without Idrive, but hate SMG in a non //M car

SMG will be released in europe in Septmber

Agree to disagree.

Btw. Are you sure about SMG in September? All other new options for September have more or less been confirmed. SMG hasn´t. The only news about SMG is that it will NOT come to the US (contrary to earlier statement). SMG is not in the new pricelists. Not really relevant to me anyway, just git my MT 330, but I´m curious as to where BMW is going with SMG.
      08-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Agree to disagree.

Btw. Are you sure about SMG in September? All other new options for September have more or less been confirmed. SMG hasn´t. The only news about SMG is that it will NOT come to the US (contrary to earlier statement). SMG is not in the new pricelists. Not really relevant to me anyway, just git my MT 330, but I´m curious as to where BMW is going with SMG.

Was wondering about the SMG, its on the latest parts programme at the dealer ( but so is 323i, 316i and 318d ) but not on any of the latest price lists.

www.bmw.de hasnt updated their configurator for September yet, so lets see what it says there

maybe there is a nother short wait ???
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

I know. The parts are in the ETK and there have been sightings of prototype E90 with SMG. Even pictures in information material for NA dealers.

But no further news except an announcement from BMW NA that SMG will not be available for the E90 (not delayed, but not available at all) and it´s cancelled for NA on the E46 Model year 06 (Coupe and carbiolet)

No word whatsoever on SMG or the future of SMG from BMW at all (except hints that the M3 will have SMG).

My guess is, BMW is working on a double clutch system or about to buy a double clutch system from a supplier and will not push the old SMG anymore.

We´ll see. Too late for me anyhow. I´ll have to reevaluate in 2 years and 10 months. Oh well, all I want is an automated manual.
      08-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I know. The parts are in the ETK and there have been sightings of prototype E90 with SMG. Even pictures in information material for NA dealers.

But no further news except an announcement from BMW NA that SMG will not be available for the E90 (not delayed, but not available at all) and it´s cancelled for NA on the E46 Model year 06 (Coupe and carbiolet)

No word whatsoever on SMG or the future of SMG from BMW at all (except hints that the M3 will have SMG).

My guess is, BMW is working on a double clutch system or about to buy a double clutch system from a supplier and will not push the old SMG anymore.

We´ll see. Too late for me anyhow. I´ll have to reevaluate in 2 years and 10 months. Oh well, all I want is an automated manual.
The BMW Dual Clutch gearbox is known.
its called the ZSG and is supposed to be launched mid next year with the 335i

Last edited by E90Fleet; 08-18-2005 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

SMG is a dead technology.... The DSG that audi designed is a much better solution and is cheaper to produce and more reliable; I think BMW is realizing this and has scrapped the SMG until they have their own Direct shift dual clutch setup, it is AMAZING!! From what I was recently told Masseratti is also dropping there F1 setup in favor of this and using the F1 as an option starting sometime next year. Borg Warner is currently producing Audi's setup, I am sure BMW will do it in house or possibly Aisan or getrag?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
SMG is a dead technology.... The DSG that audi designed is a much better solution and is cheaper to produce and more reliable; I think BMW is realizing this and has scrapped the SMG until they have their own Direct shift dual clutch setup, it is AMAZING!! From what I was recently told Masseratti is also dropping there F1 setup in favor of this and using the F1 as an option starting sometime next year. Borg Warner is currently producing Audi's setup, I am sure BMW will do it in house or possibly Aisan or getrag?

The VW DSG is not so nice, have had 3 test drives with it, and it still needs a lot of work

All Magazines here have found it to be slower than a manual aswell

BMW's is either Getrag or ZF
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Beg to differ.... not sure where you read that, as I would like to read it. Considering "Best auto manual transmission on earth" (Motor Trend), Automibile magazine gave it the technology award for 2005. And there numbers indicate it is faster than a manual.
It (DSG) shifts in .2 seconds, I have not used it in a VW, but an Audi and there is no hesitation or issues what so ever, and all the articles I have read indicate it is the best thing in transmissions and is the technology of the future now, the SMG on the other hand from what I have read is not as good. It (DSG) has recieved many awards and accolades.It is quicker and smoother than the SMG. If the SMG was better why I ask would they be scrapping it and developing a dual clutch setup? Considering Masseratti is doing the same thing..... I express things objectively, I do not drink the Cool Aid... BMW is a step behind with this, no doubt about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
Beg to differ.... not sure where you read that, as I would like to read it. Considering "Best auto manual transmission on earth" (Motor Trend), Automibile magazine gave it the technology award for 2005. And there numbers indicate it is faster than a manual.
It (DSG) shifts in .2 seconds, I have not used it in a VW, but an Audi and there is no hesitation or issues what so ever, and all the articles I have read indicate it is the best thing in transmissions and is the technology of the future now, the SMG on the other hand from what I have read is not as good. It (DSG) has recieved many awards and accolades.It is quicker and smoother than the SMG. If the SMG was better why I ask would they be scrapping it and developing a dual clutch setup? Considering Masseratti is doing the same thing..... I express things objectively, I do not drink the Cool Aid... BMW is a step behind with this, no doubt about it.

Not saying SMG is better, jut saying DSG is not very nice either

Lets hope BMW's ZSG is better
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Agreed, 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 07:43 AM   #19
garethpeate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE (E90)

Likewise - a touch hypocritical maybe because I can't drive the car myself, but iDrive is a good system - if only people would bother spending half an hour sitting down with it and working out how to use it.

I wish someone would tell Jeremy Clarkson that. His M5 review still makes me angry...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #20
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Thumpzilla: I think a big reason for the iDrive's lack of popluarity among E90 owners is the fact that it costs $2000--$2000 that can easily go towards something else like the sport or premium package, or even an upgrade from a 325i to the 330i. It all depends what you want.
agree! i was so determined to get it, i wanted some kind of OEM installed navigation system so bad that i even sacrificed the sport package for it. no regrets so far, just miss those sport seats
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #21
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Back to the NAV in iDrive topic . I think you'll find many who have had to use alternate solutions to NAV (not OEM) have found some very good units that contain useful features and probably easier to use. That being said, I still like the integrated solution for me even if it may not be as easy or feature rich as an aftermarket solution. In a 6er, and probably many in a 3,5 or 7 series think so as well, I do not want things hanging off my dash, center console, or having to put antennas in various places. So I opted for every built in item offered, NAV, SAT Radio, etc. One has to weigh cost versus benefit as already well stated in thread by others.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #22
garethpeate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE (E90)

And when it comes to the cost, as expensive as some things are when you're buying a BMW built to order, the dealers just hear 'retro fit' as 'double it'..
Appreciate 0