E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Phone icon for bluetooth connection?

08-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Phone icon for bluetooth connection?

I've a Sony Ericsson K750i. It used to be that my phone would connect right away to the car as soon as I entered it. Immediately after making the connection, a phone icon would also show up beside the antenna strength indicator. However, I reset my phone a while ago. Since then, I haven't been able to get the phone icon. I've also deleted the K750i entry from the Bluetooth menu in iDrive and re-added the phone; it still didn't bring back the icon. I even rebooted iDrive and that didn't work. It's a minor thing, not having the icon. But I'd still really like to have it there, because I'm simply borderline OC. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

I think the phone icon means you've either missed a call or have a waiting voicemail. The lack of it is definitely not a problem.

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
drednik
Private
Rep

Hmm. I'm quite sure that while I had the phone icon, which was consistently there everytime I drove the car for about 2 weeks, my phone didn't have a missed call or voicemail.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Here's what I've figured out so far.

If you see the thing that looks like a dotted "i" to the left of the signal strength bars, your Bluetooth phone is connected, and the signal strength applies to that phone. If no "i", then the signal strength applies to the BMW Assist phone.

If there is a triangle to the left of the "i", then you are roaming on YOUR phone.

Now, back to the little phone icon, where my evidence gets a little more flimsy. Yesterday, my wife's phone missed a call and got a voicemail. Presto, we see the little phone icon. We reached our destination, shut off the car, had dinner, and when we got back into the car - no little phone icon. So I checked to see which phone was Blutooth connected. It was mine, not hers. And mine had no missed calls or voicemails.

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
drednik
Private
Rep

Hmm... very interesting. I'll have to test this further. The funny thing is that I could've sworn that in the 3 months that I've had the car, the phone icon was always there, missed call/voicemail or not. Thanks for your input; really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
AlpinE90
Rep
Drives: E90 Alpine White

Only time I have seen that icon is when I missed a call WHILE connected to the car. When you go to MISSED CALLS (on iDrive) and the icon will disappear... It did not disappear when I went to MISSED CALLS on my phone... I don't remember if i turned the car off between missing the call and going to MISSED CALLS...
      08-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
drednik
Private
Rep

Well, you were absolutely right. I tested it out today by ignoring a call; lo and behold, the icon popped right up. Thanks guys. This was driving me insane.
Appreciate 0