E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d Turbo problem ?

12-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
crazyniz
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 335D

335d Turbo problem ?

Ive got a 2007 335d coupe, wit about 30k miles on it.

In the uk and recent weather has been below zero for the last few days, i think its related.

Started the car up as normal today, no problems. Set off with the traction control going mental which was down to the insane ammount of ice on the roads.

Then i noticed that the revs were unusually high in the first 5 mins. Drove ok, not putting my foot down becausde of the road condition, but as soon as i got on the motorway slip road the problems started.

The car had next to no pull past 40 mph. The car revs up, mpg guage goes down to the bottom but no pull at all, 50 to 70 took nealy 30 seconds, even with the gearbox kicking down.

No warning lights, no smell, looked under the hood and no visible leaks or grime.

I reckon the big turbo has gone, or a loose sensor or cable... Im baffled, car drove ok home, but no power !

Thanks for any help guys
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I've moved this over to the UK section

Were there NO warning lights at all? Not even a half engine light? Sounds very very strange. If the turbo had gone you'd have engine warning lights....

Will have a look for any similar cases with other 335ds tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Nothing at all, i did a check control using the sterring wheel stalk and everything was fine.

Nothing comes up, will a warning light come up during initial start up, or stay on during ?

Everything seems fine, honestly the car drives like a 320d now !

Ive been searching a bit, could it be my pressure convertor ? It seems wel odd, the car hasnt missed a trick all the time ive owned it !

p.s thanks for moving the thred !
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Check the air intakes, sounds like a loose pipe causing loss of vacuum. I had the same problem on a previous turbo diesel and the cause was a small pipe had come out of the vacuum unit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Im presuming its the one on the left looking towards the engine, like the picture on this thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111754

do you mean those little pipes around it ??
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyniz View Post
Im presuming its the one on the left looking towards the engine, like the picture on this thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111754

do you mean those little pipes around it ??
I would check all the pipe in that area, or at least the ones you can reach. Looking at the thread you posted it could be

"i took the car to the service and they changed the vacuum valve"

I doubt very much that it is your turbos'
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
crazyniz
Private
Rep

oh i just used that picture as a guide...tbh honest i dont have a clue, plus another thing, when i do floor it, the revs only go up to 3,800-3,900. No higher !
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Unless its a very early 335D I presume its still under warranty?

what do BMW say?

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

This sounds almost exactly a the problem I had with my 535d. It was due to the one of the valves in the turbo manifold seizing, the one at the front that bypasses the big turbo under low rpm/light throttle openings.

The symptoms were no power at all below ~2,500rpm, which meant that the car would struggle to maintain 70mph on a slight incline. Flick the gearbox into manual and pick up the revs to 3K+ and it would suddenly go mental as the big turbo woke up.

The dealer diagnostics confirmed the problem and they replaced the vacuum accumulator which didn't fix it, then the front section of the manifold with the seized valve in.

I guess it could be this valve, or one of the actuators or even one of the vacuum pipes that has become dislodged or blocked. Hopefully it's just some condensation that has frozen somewhere!

The revs stay higher than normal when it is very cold to get the engine up to temperature quicker. Mine does this too and it is normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Im quite sure the large turbo spools up as litle as 1700rpm. Not 3000rpm.

Sounds like it has gone into limp mode. Have you stuck some ddgy fuel in from a small diesel station?
      12-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replys guys.

red355 - the cars an 07, and has a few months of warrenty left, will go in tomorow and see what they can do.

milesr3 - i dont know about that, ive tried everything, manual, going up through the gears quickly/slowly, revving it high... nothing. No power whatsoever.

The reason why i think its the big turbo, is initial pull is finelower than 1750ish. The smaller of the 2 turbbos works from idle to this point i think, then it hands over to the bigger turbo, thats when i get no power.

I found by driving today, at high revs it bahaved like a 1 litre petrol going up a hill, nothing. But flicking up the gears and going down to low revs actually lurched the car fowards faster, only a tiny bit but got a good 5-10mph boost. But as soon as its above 1750-2000 revs zilch.

Checked the engine bay and around the air intake pipes, nothing. Even with the engine running, nothing to suggest a problem!btw Im a pharmacist by trade and know bugger all about engines.

dxb - come to think of it, i ran it till it was on 0 miles on the distance calculator cos of circumstance, i never let it go down that low normally. Filled up £60 quid at tesco, but it is the same tescos i always use. But drove 50 odd miles, no problems. Doubt its that.

Will ring tomorow, bmw crawley, think its vines. Hopefully they can look at it. Sods law the service light came on today aswell ! sure its just an interim, one and not a full service.

No warning lights at all
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
crazyniz
Private
Rep

rang bmw, my local dealer and the phone number and no luck. Earliest i can get it seen is 4th january.

dealer palmed off to bmw emergancy, and vice versa.

Dont really know what other options i have.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Looks like I have the exact same problem.

Car has no power when you reach around 1800rpm / 40mph.

I have no warning lights at all coming on, and the car drives ok, it just has no power.

From the start its fine, but as soon as you get into 3rd gear, and about 30-40 it just takes forever to get its speed up.

It also makes a "whooshing" sound when you put your foot down - as if there is an Air leak somewhere, in replacement of the normal turbo sound.

I am presuming the Small turbo turbo is still working, but the big turbo has some kind of leak .... I have checked everything I can in the engine bay and there are no signs of oil anywhere.

ps - My car is out of warranty so its not a simple case of taking it in to get sorted out !!!

Any ideas at all ?

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Martin 335d
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M Sport

If there is a "whooshing" sound there is probably a boost leak, could be something like a split boost pipe or intercooler, or something as simple as a boost pipe that has became dislodged somewhere and it's leaking
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post
I am presuming the Small turbo turbo is still working, but the big turbo has some kind of leak .... I have checked everything I can in the engine bay and there are no signs of oil anywhere.
Assuming your sig's right, your 330d's only got the one turbo to worry about Whooshing noise is definitely a boost leak, so you want to trace the hoses from the turbo outlet to the intercooler, then back to the intake manifold. Something somewhere on the high pressure side of the turbo must be leaking.

Or, not being able to hear the noise, it could be an obstruction of some sort on the low pressure side - perhaps something blocking the air intake?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
It started on a day that was -3 deg, and I was in a rush so may have floored it a little early ?

I hope indeed it is a split pipe, bad timing with Christmas knocking as-well !!

Last edited by craig2859; 12-22-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
crazyniz
Private
Rep

yeah craig, sounds exactly like mine. I dont have the whooshing noise though.

The 330d only has the one turbo, so im presuming 1700 revs is when it kicks in.

Strange that no warning lights have come up, so im hoping its a minor fault, or just a few pipes need changing or resealed.

Spoke to the dealer who said that any turbo problems would be sorted under warrenty as long as there are no signs of it being tampered with/abused !
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #18
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Just dropped the car off, and the technition looked like he didnt have a clue...Will have to let them run diagnostics on it.

On a happier note i was informed that might need to have front pads and discs fitted and was quoted £490...

Any alternatives ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just dropped the car off, and the technition looked like he didnt have a clue...Will have to let them run diagnostics on it.

On a happier note i was informed that might need to have front pads and discs fitted and was quoted £490...

Any alternatives ?
Yes... ask them for the measurements they made on the discs and pads - you probably have more life in them (many dealers encourage an 'early' change of discs and pads)

If you really need discs and pads, then the BMW discs are the only real option as they're pretty good, but don't buy BMW pads. Contact a member on here call Alpina_B3_Lux who has a lead on Cool Carbon pads, which he is using on his 335 to good effect, and apparently are much much better than the crappy BMW offering
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
crazyniz
Private
Rep

what sort of figures should i be wary about ? the front pads arent due for another 1500 miles, but the service guy goes the discs usually need changing at the same time. I said let me know, when the tech has a look and il decide then.

Might delay it an go to an independent...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #21
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
what sort of figures should i be wary about ? the front pads arent due for another 1500 miles, but the service guy goes the pads usually need changing at thesame time. I said let me know, when the tech has a look and il decide then.
You can generally get through two pad cycles on one set of discs, provided you're not a monstrous with the brakes. It's not normal the discs need changing in conjunction with each pad change - ask him if there's a lip on the edge of the discs, and if there is how much. If there's only a slight lip, then the discs are fine and you'll get a few thousand miles out of them yet. If there is a considerable ridge then the discs will need changing.

I personally think you should go to an independent... where in the UK are you?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #22
crazyniz
Private
Rep

down south in crawley. I wish i knew what i was looking for, cos i can tell as soon as i walked in they just look at ways to get money out of you.

another point, they havent got back to me to say its ready. And i need the car for tomorow, i havent even mentioned the courtesy car yet, should i be entitled to one, and will it be free ??

I just want to be sure so they cant wrigle out of it.

one more thing, since ive had the car i have no proof of the front discs ever being changed...so it might be due
Appreciate 0