Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Tire Install Experience

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
RU BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Winter Tire Install Experience

I have a 2006 e90, sport package with RFT. As I aquired the car earlier in the year, yesterday was the first time I put on winter tires. Couple of points I'd like to share to limit some of your frustrations if you are in a similar situation.

1) the car does not come with a lug bolt wrench or associated wheel change tools (manual states that it's an option). Before attempting a swap make sure you have the necessary tools.
2) loosening the lug bolts with a socket wrench is possible but I did break my socket (it wasn't a craftsman or the like quality). Lug bolts are not standard sizes, so a wrench from one car may not be the right size for another. Good luck for me was that my father has an X3 and the lug bolt wrench fit my car.
3) once the lug bolts were off, the wheels require a good pull and/or kick to get them off the hub.
4) if your winter set up is directional, make sure the arrows on the tires point in the correct rotation of the wheel. After finally putting one wheel/tire on I realized it was on backwards.
5) I'm running ASA JH3 wheels as my winter set up. Interestingly, where the OEM wheels kind of sit over the hub, these butt to the hub. This made bolting them up a bit of a challenge without the wheel hanging tool.
6) Instructions in the manual for reseting the TPMS are not very clear. This board is much more useful.

After all the hassle though the wheels look good, tires (Blizzak LM-22 RFT) are quiet and the ride is pretty good compared to the summer package. However, I may go to an all-season set up in the spring 'cause for being in my 40's it's a bit of a pain to do these swaps. So my summer rubber and winter set up may be for sale. Good luck with your set up.