E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320 d got the evolve treat

11-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
320 d got the evolve treat

Hi all

some of you may remember I posted a few weeks back about my competion win with Bmw car magazine for the evolve switch unit. Well finally got it installed today and holy shit burgers.................................What a difference!

Process started on thursday night. Nipped out to the car and read the original map using the switch which is very simple to use and if you take your time you can't really go wrong. It took 5 minutes or so to read the original file then I emailed that to imran that night. Received an email last night to say the modified file would be with me this morning.

So 11ish or so this morning my new map was ready for download. uploaded the new file into the switch and skipped out to the car..................I did skip!lol

Followed the instructions as per the switch and the guide on here and it was loading up just the thing, then it asked me to turn ignition off hit the yes button on the switch and turn the ignition back on, done that and the switch was doing its business then Fault comes up on the switch stating a problem with upload and a ramp sign on the OBC......................

At this point my arse collapsed.............

Right I'll try it again, this time when it asked me to turn the ignition back on to complete the process I did that as I should of done in the first place. mupppet, you have to press the start button a few times to get the fuel gauge to move then the ignition is on properly and the upload completed no problems.

On start up noticed the revs were idling a little higher but the car was definately more quiet, good start! On pulling out of the street could notice less throttle was required than usual for crawling along, then gave it half gas in 1st nothing but yellow flashing, 2nd gear yellow flashing, 3rd gear yellow flashing. bloody hell just couldn't get the power down. The roads were damp so off the mark was useless today but on the move the car is transformed! It revs so much freely now, before I would look to change at 3500-4000 max as the car had flattened out. 4500-5000 no problem now and it pulls all the way through the rev range in every gear. i really am amazed at the results so far. I only managed about 10 miles myself today then it was to the shops with my fiancee and baby girl so sensible driving. Cant wait to get out for a gun in the dry on my own!

Evolve really have done a brilliant job with this switch unit. Its easy to use, Transforms the car and I can switch it back to standard in minutes for stealer visits. Any one considering it should not hesitate, I know mine has been a competion win which makes me smile even more but had it not been I would still be over the moon. For the vast majority of the guys on here that are already remapped you'll know what I mean. best mod you can do. The 320 d is a good soot chucker by anyones standards but with the remap its pretty impressive!

Bloody delighted and thanks to Imran at Evolve for his quick, polite correspondance.

mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
ElegantSpoon
There I was balls deep in a...
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D

Good review glad your happy with it! Its on my future mods list too
      11-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I have the same map, would be interested to see what it does on a rolling road. I managed 215BHP with 10,000 miles on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
J@mie
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
Hi all

some of you may remember I posted a few weeks back about my competion win with Bmw car magazine for the evolve switch unit. Well finally got it installed today and holy shit burgers.................................What a difference!

Process started on thursday night. Nipped out to the car and read the original map using the switch which is very simple to use and if you take your time you can't really go wrong. It took 5 minutes or so to read the original file then I emailed that to imran that night. Received an email last night to say the modified file would be with me this morning.

So 11ish or so this morning my new map was ready for download. uploaded the new file into the switch and skipped out to the car..................I did skip!lol

Followed the instructions as per the switch and the guide on here and it was loading up just the thing, then it asked me to turn ignition off hit the yes button on the switch and turn the ignition back on, done that and the switch was doing its business then Fault comes up on the switch stating a problem with upload and a ramp sign on the OBC......................

At this point my arse collapsed.............

Right I'll try it again, this time when it asked me to turn the ignition back on to complete the process I did that as I should of done in the first place. mupppet, you have to press the start button a few times to get the fuel gauge to move then the ignition is on properly and the upload completed no problems.

On start up noticed the revs were idling a little higher but the car was definately more quiet, good start! On pulling out of the street could notice less throttle was required than usual for crawling along, then gave it half gas in 1st nothing but yellow flashing, 2nd gear yellow flashing, 3rd gear yellow flashing. bloody hell just couldn't get the power down. The roads were damp so off the mark was useless today but on the move the car is transformed! It revs so much freely now, before I would look to change at 3500-4000 max as the car had flattened out. 4500-5000 no problem now and it pulls all the way through the rev range in every gear. i really am amazed at the results so far. I only managed about 10 miles myself today then it was to the shops with my fiancee and baby girl so sensible driving. Cant wait to get out for a gun in the dry on my own!

Evolve really have done a brilliant job with this switch unit. Its easy to use, Transforms the car and I can switch it back to standard in minutes for stealer visits. Any one considering it should not hesitate, I know mine has been a competion win which makes me smile even more but had it not been I would still be over the moon. For the vast majority of the guys on here that are already remapped you'll know what I mean. best mod you can do. The 320 d is a good soot chucker by anyones standards but with the remap its pretty impressive!

Bloody delighted and thanks to Imran at Evolve for his quick, polite correspondance.

mike
Is this Evolve switch unit like the Superchips Bluefin method? I.E you have a portable machine that plugs in the OBD and reads and downloads mapping?

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Yea thats what hes got
      11-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Glad you are happy with the evolve map - it is amazing isnt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mie View Post
Is this Evolve switch unit like the Superchips Bluefin method? I.E you have a portable machine that plugs in the OBD and reads and downloads mapping?
Yeap and better gains as well
      11-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
J@mie
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantSpoon View Post
Yea thats what hes got
sorry - so its an evolve unit with a evolve map or a superchips unit with an evolve map?

Scrap that question just found out!!

Last edited by J@mie; 11-15-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: not practicing what I preach
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Haha sorry its the Evolve unit like the superchips one
      11-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Does any one know if this can be detected by BMW when it is returned to standard???
      11-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

arggh not fair I cant do mine as its a LCI and need to be able to put it back to stock.