E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335i

11-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
ca-hokie
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

My 335i

Hey all-my first post...really cool forum!

I just picked up an '07 335i sedan and quite honestly, this thing blows the doors off of my old Saab Viggen which in retrospect feels like a tin can compared to my 335. Anyhow, two questions...

* I have had the car for 8 weeks and the check engine (I think that is what it is...an engine picture on the console) came on a few times, but it clears when the car is shut down and turned on and i can't reproduce it, seems random. I brought it back to my dealer and they said that there were no codes they could find since it was 2 weeks since it happened last. Is that BS? How long is a code "stored" so it can be diagnosed?

* I'd like to change out the grill with a CF version and would really love to find some subtle options for the rear (diffuser,etc). If you put after market stuff on (exterior), does BMW have a fit when it comes to warranty, etc?
Any suggestions on the exterior? Mine is Sparkling Graphite - 4dr...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

1. Possible HPFP failure?
2. Check the exterior mods link on this forum. Lots of folks use aftermarket instead of
BMW because of $$$$. Exterior mods should almost never affect warranty.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

welcome..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Welcome and congrats on the car. Viggens are cool, I saw a yellow one yesterday..don't see many of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca-hokie View Post
Hey all-my first post...really cool forum!

I just picked up an '07 335i sedan and quite honestly, this thing blows the doors off of my old Saab Viggen which in retrospect feels like a tin can compared to my 335. Anyhow, two questions...

* I have had the car for 8 weeks and the check engine (I think that is what it is...an engine picture on the console) came on a few times, but it clears when the car is shut down and turned on and i can't reproduce it, seems random. I brought it back to my dealer and they said that there were no codes they could find since it was 2 weeks since it happened last. Is that BS? How long is a code "stored" so it can be diagnosed?

* I'd like to change out the grill with a CF version and would really love to find some subtle options for the rear (diffuser,etc). If you put after market stuff on (exterior), does BMW have a fit when it comes to warranty, etc?
Any suggestions on the exterior? Mine is Sparkling Graphite - 4dr...

Thanks!
Welcome!

I have the same model and color and I love mine, too. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, although I am no expert. I am just a user and abuser of my buggy, but I have had enough experience with some of the same issues on this forum to provide some input. I used to live in Sunnyvale and Mountain View and almost bought a house in San Jose until I moved back to the East Coast. From your sig, I am assuming you went to VaTech.

If the Check Engine light comes on, press the button on the end of the stalk to see what it is or to clear it. I have had it come on, too, and knew to turn the engine off and on to clear it, but the engine was running rough and I suspected it could have been bad gas or fuel line. Check to see if the Check Engine display is yellow or red. I have had it come on with a limp mode (red) and immediately drove it to the dealer. They fixed it under warranty. Sometimes it's a fouled cylinder or indicator of impending HPFP failure. It depends. Is the car running rough when this happens? Try to keep a log on its occurrences and be ready to take it to the dealer without clearing it so they could see the occurrence. The service center around my place (Sterling, VA) is always open to at least diagnose the problem.

As stated by others, BMW have no issues with cosmetic changes. Just take a look at their Performance catalog and aero/MTech bumper and side skirt replacements to see how they encourage individual expression. They want to make money from aftermarket offerings, as well. There are no warranties on body parts, as long as it doesn't affect vehicle performance.

Some forum members even have modified certain aspects of their ride to improve handling and safety.....like a Quaife or Wavetrac limited slip differential. Harold at HPAutowerks in SoCal has a bunch of options for improving power to the pavement!

Look forward to reading about your experiences on the forum....with pics!

Enjoy your ride!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

welcome!
      11-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
msitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

Welcome. I am impressed the 335 blew the doors off of your Viggen. My doors just fell off of the Viggen with no additional help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
ca-hokie
Rep

thanks all!

Thanks all! I hope to contribute to the forum as I start learning more!

I'll keep an eye on the engine lamp...when it came on the last time, about 1.5 weeks ago I noticed the car kind of limped, almost like it was struggling to respond to my accelearation request. Well, I think I will bring it in to the shop the next time it comes on.

Thanks all! (I snapped a blurry photo of the indicator)

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Have you been getting intermittent, longer than normal starts? I mean anywhere from 2 seconds or longer for it to crank up.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

take the car in and show them the picture.
      11-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
ca-hokie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Have you been getting intermittent, longer than normal starts? I mean anywhere from 2 seconds or longer for it to crank up.
I haven't really noticed that, but I will keep an eye on it! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I would take the car into the dealer to have them run the codes and see what the problem is. You can also use a Peak Scan Tool to read the codes on your own if you are out of warranty.

We offer CF grill replacements for your car. There are CF rear diffusers for the M-Sport style rear if you want to match.
Appreciate 0