E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alarm question (slightly different ... I hope)

10-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Alarm question (slightly different ... I hope)

Hi,

Yes, I am newbie here ... just picked up my 2009 328i xDrive yesterday. The car does not have the executive package so no alarm system (or pre-wire). While I am not a fan of alarms, my situation makes one necessary.

I know there's lots of posts about installing the factory alarm in pre-wired vehicles, but that doesn't apply here. I also know there's plenty of posts debating the merits of an alarm, but I live in a building that's had numerous vehicle break-ins (and I've been hit several times in the past few years).

What I want to do is have an alarm installed that can integrate into the factory key fobs. I do not need/want to carry yet another fob. The alarms I have identified that can do this are the Viper 3901V and the Seco-Larm SLI8-820R. Anyone have any comments on either of these? Any other options that can be integrated into the factory key fobs? (I understand that CompuStar alarms can be installed this way but have not found any verification of that).

Any help, advice, etc ... much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Not trying to be a pest, and I normally don't bump threads, but I could really use some help with this.

Exactly what options do I have for an alarm without pre-wire?

One local shop said they don't want anything to do with an install on a 2009 BMW. They have a great rep and have been in business for 50 years, but I remember they said the same thing on an audio install to me about four years ago on a Mazdaspeed 6 and another shop was able to do exactly what I wanted.

Another local shop seems to think they can still install the OEM alarm and would include the wiring as part of the installation. They're quoting between $650 and $800 depending on exactly what they need to do. I have used them before on a CompuStar install and they did an excellent job, but that was 6 years ago and installers come and go, etc. Is this feasible?

If not, any suggestions on solutions that will integrate into the OEM fob? Failing that, any thoughts on the CompuSTAR RF-1BAM (which at leasts provides for a relatively small alarm fob)?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
try google thats the best i can give you. or look up the some other audio/video installers not in your area and see what they say. sometimes the locals are just to damn lazy to do their job.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks ... I've tried google ... maybe I just can't come up with the right search string (e90 alarm no pre-wire, or 2009 bmw alarm no pre-wire, 328 alarm without pre-wire ... any other ideas??). As for local shops, I'll keep digging.
Appreciate 0