E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 (2008) idrive + bluetooth + iPhone - random connects?

10-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
zerodb
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

E92 (2008) idrive + bluetooth + iPhone - random connects?

This is driving me crazy! When my iPhone is paired with the car, every time I try to send a text message or otherwise mess with my phone, it initiates a connection with the car's Bluetooth system as if it's making a call. Locks out music etc until the connection times out.

Is this normal or am I missing some obvious way to solve the problem? I noticed that when I'm on a BT headset it beeps in my ear when I go to the text messaging screen also, indicating that the phone is initiating a connection of some sort... WHY it would do that for SMS or Safari is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

On the one hand, my wife's Motorola does this with her Parrot HF in her Acura for incoming SMS, so the stereo mutes each time also.

On the other hand, you sound like you're using OUTBOUND SMS. While driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
zerodb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
On the one hand, my wife's Motorola does this with her Parrot HF in her Acura for incoming SMS, so the stereo mutes each time also.

On the other hand, you sound like you're using OUTBOUND SMS. While driving?

Perhaps you have never been in a parking lot, drive-thru window, at the curb, or in possesion of a second person in your vehicle, but I have and in those situations I prefer for all phone activities to not interfere with the other electronics in the vehicle.

But thumbs up for rushing to judgment, it wouldn't be the internet otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Aw, ask for clarification, and be accused of rushing to judgement.

If I had said, "you ARE using it while driving, therefore you suck", THAT would have been rushing to judgement. I merely asked if you were. Żou seem touchy.

Of course, now I can make informed judgements

I was commisserating on how irritating I find such a problem, by the way. Not being an iPhone user, I can't speak to a solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
zerodb
Banned
Rep

LOL sorry but that seems to be the way things usually go in these forums. (and come on, you wouldn't have thrown in the "while driving" bit if you weren't trying to be a TINY bit accusatory! )

but yes, it seems that almost any activity in the SMS app will bind the bluetooth connection and the car thinks it's making a phone call to nobody.
Appreciate 0