E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New series of Fifth Gear ... WTF !

09-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Thumbs down New series of Fifth Gear ... WTF !

This may not be BMW related but I feel so strongly on the sugject, I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it.

Looking forward to the start of the new series last night ... and how rubbish is it now

Plato's gone, new unknown "cheapo" presenter in, no studio (no doubt a budget cut) poor features and no real car reviews as such or shoot outs.

It was still not as bad as Sky 1's Vroom Vroom, but it was under par to its format as it was.

Considering Top Gear spends half its time now building car boats and the like, Fifth Gear had established itself as my fave car programme on TV, but after last night's performance, it has sunk to an all time low.

oh dear Channel 5 what have you done
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
This may not be BMW related but I feel so strongly on the sugject, I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it.

Looking forward to the start of the new series last night ... and how rubbish is it now

Plato's gone, new unknown "cheapo" presenter in, no studio (no doubt a budget cut) poor features and no real car reviews as such or shoot outs.

It was still not as bad as Sky 1's Vroom Vroom, but it was under par to its format as it was.

Considering Top Gear spends half its time now building car boats and the like, Fifth Gear had established itself as my fave car programme on TV, but after last night's performance, it has sunk to an all time low.

oh dear Channel 5 what have you done
Didn't see it last night, but it sounds dreadful. Plato was annoying, but at least he knew what he was talking about.

I agree on vroom vroom though - I love cars - but even I think it's garbage.

Am I really bothered whether a chauffer in a 350z can beat an F1 driver in a vintage rolls royce. (he can BTW) ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I saw it Snake and agree it was awful, I won't put myself out to watch again. Agreed the format and content of the show was crap. I liked Plato, thought he was excellent. Tiff is the only decent presenter left and he was racing an aeroplane?? Rubbish. Top Gear is way ahead of any car show.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad it wasn't just me then ... what a crock of el cheapo shize !

Tiff is now the only redeeming factor & he wasn't featured enough on the show at all.

VBH is fine, but she didn't work well with that guy who was co-hosting with her ... he needs ejecting asap.

The whole thing just stunk of budget cuts to me ... and I suspect that's why Plato's left and got out while the going was good.

Of course, he may be concentrating on his Touring Car career, which is going rather well at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Glad it wasn't just me then ... what a crock of el cheapo shize !

Tiff is now the only redeeming factor & he wasn't featured enough on the show at all.

VBH is fine, but she didn't work well with that guy who was co-hosting with her ... he needs ejecting asap.

The whole thing just stunk of budget cuts to me ... and I suspect that's why Plato's left and got out while the going was good.

Of course, he may be concentrating on his Touring Car career, which is going rather well at the moment.
Plato has a legendary ego - I imagine he thought he was worth rather more than the producers were prepared to pay.

Tiff seems to be on some sort of consultancy gig ... he only seems to pop up every so often.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
E92-Mark
Environmental petrol head.
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Coupé

Garage List
It was truely awful. I kept waiting for the car reviews to happen and then the hour was up. When I saw it was being presented from a 'diner' I thought we were in for some American special, but no, it seems that was the show...

Very disappointed.

Currently : 330d SE Coupe, TiAg, Jade Leather Sports seats, HiGloss trim, 17" 188s, 6MT, CA, SunRoof, HBA, Pro Audio, 6CD, Bluetooth & Armrest
Retired : 320d SE E90, SG, Blk Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
withy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90, Sparkling Graphite

Couldn't agree more. Total p1sh. Get well soon Mr Hammond, and get Top Gear back on. 5th Gear sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Plato has a legendary ego - I imagine he thought he was worth rather more than the producers were prepared to pay.

I've met Jason a few times from the days when I was a photographer on the Motor racing circuits. He really comes arcoss as a nice guy but like you say larger than life ego.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I remember when Plato and Tiff were racing round the circuit in a Porsche Boxster and BMW Z4 ... that was a classic bit of tv ... they were both really going for it

As for Top Gear, its future is in the balance by the sounds of things now ... Hope RH makes a full recovery

Saw the guys at the MPH show last year ... talking of which ... anyone planning on going this year ... to THE NEC show end of next month ?

It was great last year and the live show was excellent ... Even saw an Axtra VXr get totalled as it overcooked a skid and crashed straight into a barrier, airbags went off the lot ... no one hurt but the car was a mess
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Yeah, I heard it was crappy. I'm downloading it anyway though.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

The new presenter is Tim Lovejoy. I have been watching him for years on Sky's Soccer Am and listening to him on XFM. I've always thought he is a good presenter, so perhaps he is still finding his way around or the format doesn't suit him.
      10-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
The second show did seem a wee bit better than the first IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
The second show did seem a wee bit better than the first IMO.

Yeah I agree !

There was more reviews / driving .. so a step in the right direction !

Wonder what's gonna happen with TOP GEAR in view of Hammond ... I would imagine that would be due for airing around now ... but no word.

Interestingly, nothing mentioned in the November Top Gear mag, so that must have gone to press before the crash.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #14
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah I agree !

There was more reviews / driving .. so a step in the right direction !

Wonder what's gonna happen with TOP GEAR in view of Hammond ... I would imagine that would be due for airing around now ... but no word.

Interestingly, nothing mentioned in the November Top Gear mag, so that must have gone to press before the crash.
The new season of Top Gear is postponed.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
ptr
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i se

not worth watching cant wait for top gear to return, even if Clarkson slags off our beloved BM,s
Appreciate 0