home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

10-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Voodooking
Banned
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Astra Coupe SE2

Goodyear Winter Tyre Recommendations / Advice

I'm looking for a set of winter/snow tyres for an E46 M3 in Scotland.

Firstly, I have picked up a set of 18" OEM M3 Alloys, to fit over winter rather using than my 19" CSL's.

I'm considering stepping down the rear width by 10mm to give myself a wider choice of tyres. Therefore I would be looking at using 225/45/18 on the Front, and 245/40/18 (rather than 255) on the Rear.

I prefer Goodyear tyres as a rule, so I am swaying towards the Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance winter tyres. Does anyone else have any experience of using these tyres on snow/ice/dry roads?

Other tyres I have considered have been the Nokian WR G2's, the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme, and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. I've also considered the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, but they are very expensive compared to the others.

Can anyone reassure me that the Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance is a good tyre, and that using 225/45/18, and 245/40/18 won't cause any problems? I'm asking so many questions as I can't find any tests for performance winter tyres online. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Voodooking
Banned
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Astra Coupe SE2

Well I made my decision on this one and ordered Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme winter tyres in F 225/45/18 and R 245/40/18.

Hopefully they'll be good. Haven't heard of anyone having any problems with thm anyway.

My choices were pretty limited. Goodyear were out from the beginning, as they only had Ultra Grip Performance for the front, and Performance 2 (which is a different tread pattern) for the rear. They also had no stock coming into the UK this winter.

Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) were also out, as they had none of their Winter Sport M3's or 3D's in stock in the UK, with no plans to make any for this winter.

Michelin also didn't have any of their Pilot Alpin PA3's in the country, and said I would need to wait 6 weeks.

That only left Blizzaks and Nokian WR G2's. Both of these tyres had had mixed reports regarding dry weather handling, as in being too squirmy and soft etc.

I have never heard a bad word about the Vredestein's, so decided to go with them. Will get them fitted at the end of the month, and let you know how I get on!
Appreciate 0