E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Things Learned At UK2

09-24-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Things Learned At UK2

Yesterday was a fantastic meet. The day started out looking rather poor, in fact it looks 'pour" with the clouds, precipitation and fog. But the weather broke and I think some of us might actually have gotten a bit of sunburn.

Even so, I think there are a couple of things to remember, good and bad, for UK3 and beyond. Actually, this doesn't apply solely to the UK, either.
  1. First, devise a way to remind all to remove number plate covers BEFORE driving off. RR, I hope you didn't have any problem on the way home and thanks for the free advertisement. How far did you get before remembering or were prompted to remove the covers?
  2. Prepare for rain but hope for good weather. We did and my gazebo is STILL in its bag.
  3. Arrive at the site early to stake out real estate. Fortunately, we had Marilyn's sharp eyes to find a 'secluded' spot. OK, so it wasn't all that secluded but who cares. It looked good.
  4. Have backup plans in case Marilyn doesn't show up in time.
  5. Don't park the cars so close to a wall or hedge.
  6. Bring someone that isn't afraid to challenge interlopers to not park between our cars. Viv, I nominate you. You did a fine job.
  7. Don't use double sided mounting tape for plate covers unless you have a bottle of Goo-Gone, Sticky-Stuff Remover and/or blasting caps at hand. Better solution would be Blue-Tack.
  8. If you bring a gas grill, bring a grill lighter, too. That was a pain in the gluteus. Also, bring a bag big enough to contain it on the drive home.
  9. When planning a drive through the country, ensure everyone knows the planned route. Don't rely solely on the Sat Nav. It has a mind of its own and you can't argue with it. You can ignore it but if you know better than it, what's the point? It was interesting that the group got separated, the two groups each got lost, and yet arrived at the destination within a minute or two of each other.
  10. Bamboo kebab sticks burn on a grill.
  11. Bring ice. Coca-cola does NOT taste good when it's warm.
  12. Name tags?
OK, that's my take. Anything I missed?

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the new members and renewing acquaintance with the inaugural meet members. 14 wasn't bad. I'm sure we can do much, much better. Looking forward to the photos, especially the night shots. I'm surprised someone didn't call the cops while we were doing that.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
xrrr
a.k.a Simon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Hi Floyd, great list. Things I learned for next time.

1) Bring food. Begging for food is not polite!
2) Bring water. I don't like coke my own fault for not stocking up.
3) Bring car. I left mine at home then felt guilty for not making up the car numbers. Who cares it is not an E90!?

Name badges with real name, forum name & car details would be a great idea. Like a minature version of those excellent plate covers you made.

Maybe we could have a sign for the entrance of the parking area to:
a) stop interlopers
b) catch passing E90 trade
c) add into pictures

[Join my E92 Flickr Photo Group. Go on you know you want to!]
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Yesterday was a fantastic meet. The day started out looking rather poor, in fact it looks 'pour" with the clouds, precipitation and fog. But the weather broke and I think some of us might actually have gotten a bit of sunburn.

Even so, I think there are a couple of things to remember, good and bad, for UK3 and beyond. Actually, this doesn't apply solely to the UK, either.
  1. First, devise a way to remind all to remove number plate covers BEFORE driving off. RR, I hope you didn't have any problem on the way home and thanks for the free advertisement. How far did you get before remembering or were prompted to remove the covers?
  2. Prepare for rain but hope for good weather. We did and my gazebo is STILL in its bag.
  3. Arrive at the site early to stake out real estate. Fortunately, we had Marilyn's sharp eyes to find a 'secluded' spot. OK, so it wasn't all that secluded but who cares. It looked good.
  6. Bring someone that isn't afraid to challenge interlopers to not park between our cars. Viv, I nominate you. You did a fine job.
  7. Don't use double sided mounting tape for plate covers unless you have a bottle of Goo-Gone, Sticky-Stuff Remover and/or blasting caps at hand. Better solution would be Blue-Tack.
  8. If you bring a gas grill, bring a grill lighter, too. That was a pain in the gluteus. Also, bring a bag big enough to contain it on the drive home.
  9. When planning a drive through the country, ensure everyone knows the planned route. Don't rely solely on the Sat Nav. It has a mind of its own and you can't argue with it. You can ignore it but if you know better than it, what's the point? It was interesting that the group got separated, the two groups each got lost, and yet arrived at the destination within a minute or two of each other.
  12. Name tags?

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the new members and renewing acquaintance with the inaugural meet members. 14 wasn't bad. I'm sure we can do much, much better. Looking forward to the photos, especially the night shots. I'm surprised someone didn't call the cops while we were doing that.
It was lucky for all of us that you & Marilyn got to Donington first, Floyd, otherwise we'd be having to move elsewhere.

The BBQ was a really good idea & I think it worked very well.

Thanks Floyd.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

12. Name tags?

Name badges would have been a great idea - since I forget peoples names within 30 secs of meeting them.

Plus my concentration span was pretty poor on account of my lovely but distracting kids.

Always a good idea to check the venue is open.

.... and if you soak the bamboo sticks in water before you make the kebabs they don't burn !

.... (nb you can further improve this by wrapping 2 housebricks in kitchen foil and using them to support either end of the kebab - this lifting it off the grill)

Possibly - 2 convoys might be a good idea - one for 'spirited drivers' and one for the more sensible.

I admit I got carried away near bunny - but in my defence - Paul was encouraging me by keeping up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Another few from the curry / night shoot...
  1. The British Legion in Keyworth don't do Saturday Nights
  2. People get a bit pissed off if you park five 3's in their driveways
  3. The US cars still display orange corners at night with Euro lights
  4. The US cars don't put the Halogens on at night for full beam
  5. I've got the soapiest screenwash
  6. If you see some kids at night - run them over just in case they want to throw missiles :mad:
  7. A 320d can keep up with a 330i even if both are motoring
  8. If you're lost when you leave, follow Floyd until you know where you're going (worked for me).

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
What I've learned:

1 Moving non-BMWs from a meet line-up isn't difficult, as long as I'm there!
2 I shouldn't take a whole load of car cleaning material with me, unless I think it might get used
3 Next time I start talking to other members at a meet, make sure I'm standing near the food
4 Remember to actually take some photos
5 Make sure the driver leading a convoy does actually have a destination in mind, even though he or she may not know exactly how to get there
6 Sticking to the clock to get things done hasn't yet worked, but doesn't really matter!
7 Try to get members to let their local dealerships know about meets- it might make a difference one day :mad:
8 Try to get some sponsorship for future meets
9 Pass on any snippets of info to other members
eg benefits of joining the BMW Car Club of GB- thanks Matt

10 Try to get female members, family & friends involved, for the sake of Marilyn, Emma & probably the MF Paul (beauforty)!
11 Make sure Matt is around to take some great photos!
12 Make sure MF Paul has plenty of space to 'play' with his car in the car park!
13 Make sure paddywac & Jay actually turn up to the next meet
14 Not everyone likes a great curry, so perhaps we should try something else next time (why oh why)?!
15 Make sure appropriate name badges are available to all attendees:

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa
If you're lost when you leave, follow Floyd until you know where you're going (worked for me).
Not a good idea 'cause I didn't even know where I was going. And Luna, my navigator, is absolutely crazy (hence the name).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Possibly - 2 convoys might be a good idea - one for 'spirited drivers' and one for the more sensible.

I admit I got carried away near bunny - but in my defence - Paul was encouraging me by keeping up.
And I enjoyed it too!!!
      09-25-2006, 04:22 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
And I enjoyed it too!!!
I think we cleared up some of the debate about whether the 320d diesel can keep up with the 330i

BTW - I should probably have asked what you did for a living beforehand - hopefully you are not a traffic policeman ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Things I learned:

1) Dermot is a pilot, not a TV presenter?
2) Viv used to be a car park attendant, probably still is
2) You can buy an M6 for less than £300! I've got one on order
3) Belvior Castle is not in the sat nav, follow NFS instead
4) Coke cans in the cup holders spill all over passenger seat when following NFS through Nottinghamshire
5) The xenons are surprisingly blue, having had Marilyn follow me
6) The Royal British Legion's car park in Keysworth is empty on Saturday nights
7) The Royal British Legion's garden needs trimming, I left a note
8) DSC and DTC work, having tested both systems in the Museum car park!
9) I thought Marilyn was unwell but apparently sick means cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
  1. Smaller convoys are great for making good progress, though you don't get as many stares.
  2. I need to read the camera manual and practice some night shots.
  3. Need to use Blu-Tak for the plates for ease of fitting and removal - it's a pain to edit them in the night shots.
  4. Need an E9x to pratice shooting the angel eyes.
  5. Get Viv a compass - The celestial one isn't good enough.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
3) Belvior Castle is not in the sat nav, follow NFS instead
But ... do not assume he knows his way through the diversions

Quote:
4) Coke cans in the cup holders spill all over passenger seat when following NFS through Nottinghamshire
You need the sports suspension - my can of '7up' was stable all the way
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You need the sports suspension - my can of '7up' was stable all the way
I have got sports suspension - remember I'm the ModFather! I was taking most corners at 60mph and passing reversing tractors at 70mph just keeping up! I realised I had to drink my coke quicker than expected resulting in some one handed driving!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have got sports suspension - remember I'm the ModFather! I was taking most corners at 60mph and passing reversing tractors at 70mph just keeping up! I realised I had to drink my coke quicker than expected resulting in some one handed driving!
Sorry - forgot you were the MF

For the record I never went above the speed limit officer.

Although ... I think that chap in the Skoda might have been confused when he got overtaken by 4 e90's in a row just past Wymeswold
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
I think we cleared up some of the debate about whether the 320d diesel can keep up with the 330i

BTW - I should probably have asked what you did for a living beforehand - hopefully you are not a traffic policeman ?
I wanted to be a copper when I grew up - It just never happened.
      09-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:

For the record I never went above the speed limit officer.

Mmmmm - are you sure?
      09-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to be a copper when I grew up - It just never happened.
I wanted to be one as well - so I could drive 3.0 litre vauxhall senators at 120mph down the motorway and have everyone get the hell out of my way.

Quote:
Mmmmm - are you sure?
Certain.

I just maintained a high average speed 'approximately' within the limit.

That may have given the illusion that I was speeding on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #18
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Although ... I think that chap in the Skoda might have been confused when he got overtaken by 4 e90's in a row just past Wymeswold
That was classic! I was laughing so much! A skoda getting overaken on a B road by 4 E90's - that was superb!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #19
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
That was classic! I was laughing so much! A skoda getting overaken on a B road by 4 E90's - that was superb!
it genuinely sounds like fun lads, sorry I couldn't make it, but had to work last sat and sun, did anybody get the diesels re-mapped??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
Mickey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Things I've learned from UK2:

1. Topping off the tank just before a 2-hour road trip will cause a 330i to [finally!] break the 30 mpg mark (30.1 - thank you very much!).

2. Spirited driving on back roads to UK castles will cause said mileage to drop drastically.

3. It was worth it!

4. A space at a racetrack that looks big enough to park 15+ cars side-by-side in it ... isn't.

5. Viv intimidates non-BMW drivers. Three times!

6. An open 12-pack of soda/pop in the trunk/boot is very annoying during twisty drives.

7. The space in the trunk will hold at least 12 cans of soda.

8. Having hands-free telephone in a 330i is very handy.

9. Viv answers his cell phone (both using hands-free) very quickly.

10. Reception with Bluetooth/Razr phone is very good.

11. Viv doesn't know where he is going either!

13. BMW 320d's can keep up with 330i's - and can make certain 330i drivers a little nervous because they have AWESOME low-end torque.

14. I still don't like the fact that 320d's get great gas mileage!

15. Castles close for weddings ... without warning.

16. Inane remarks crop up every now and then (e.g. "sick") <--- Where DID I get that from?!?!?

17. Residents of apartments/flats get annoyed when five drivers (and one passenger!) clog up their entryway for over an hour!

18. There are a LOT of light combinations that can be derived from five BMWs.

19. Cars with just angel eyes on (driving lights) look MEAN!

20. American spec. cars are programmed to light up the indicator bulbs when just the driving lights are on.

21. British cars look "sicker" when just the driving lights are on!

It's amazing what you can learn on a meet! Who knew you could learn so much.

I truly enjoyed seeing the UK1 "regulars" and the new guys too! Awesome day, great conversation, great food. Here's to UK3!

Marilyn
      09-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Things I learned:

2) Viv used to be a car park attendant, probably still is
Hey MF, you're lucky I didn't stick this on your windscreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa
...5.Get Viv a compass - The celestial one isn't good enough.
I just can't stand women telling me where to go- not even SatNavPro females!

I thought getting lost & finding our way back on track was better than knowing exactly where we were going!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #22
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Things I've learned from UK2:...5. Viv intimidates non-BMW drivers. Three times!

9. Viv answers his cell phone (both using hands-free) very quickly.

11. Viv doesn't know where he is going either!...
Marilyn, believe it or not, I'm not usually that intimidating! My comment to the female driver who parked up last, was "Excuse me, but please could you move your car a little further up along here...we've got a BMW photoshoot going on here and space is a bit tight...". The lady moved her car into another car park area entirely!

I'm used to using the car's handsfree bluetooth with my SE T610 & the Orange SPV C600, so I'm glad I answered your call quickly!

As for not knowing where I'm going- you're right, but you did all enjoy the route to the castle anyway, I hope!

Viv

Appreciate 0