ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
nutzkicker617
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Noise coming from front right suspension....need help figuring out

Hello zpost-

I have been roaming around this site for a few months now, and would like to thank all of you for contribution that has allowed me to learn so much about my 07 Z4MC. I have a problem and need your guys' help.

I took over a lease with 12 months left and then purchased the car when the lease was about to terminate. I loved the car too much to let it go. I was quite hesitant to purchase the vehicle because there was already some known under car damage when I stepped into it. I didn't know what happened to it exactly.

There were a few issues that I ran into, but I took care of all of them that I know of. The under carriage reinforcement plate was bent and touching the front right lower control arm. I removed the plate and bent it back so its clear of the control arm. I loctite'd the front and rear sway bar mounting bolts. One day, i felt severe vibration and it turned out that 2 of the passenger side motor mount bolts were broken and 2 were loose, so i changed all four plus loctite and also did the same to the driver's side as well.
This was not covered under warranty. I tried calling BMW NA and had someone working on my case but I never got any of my $800 back for bolt extraction and replacement of passenger side motor mount/bracket and bolts.

I also loctited the front strut bar bolts. After all of those things were tightened, there were no clunks. But recently, whenever going over uneven pavement, i hear a small clunk and a what sounds like something grinding for a fraction of a second when i hit the bottom of the dip. Keep in mind that this car had some under car damage probably running over a median or something.

When I brought it into the dealership, they suggested changing the control arm and reinforcement plate (before i bent it back) for an additional $700. My question is, is a damaged control arm possibly responsible for the "grinding" sound i am hearing when turning into a drive way? I have been under there many times and everything seems tight. My other guesses are wheel hub replacement? Control arm bushing with one from UUC?

I will probably perform all the work myself.

Thanks.

Last edited by nutzkicker617; 10-23-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The small clunk could be your strut-tower-to-firewall braces needing to be re-torqued (they need this every few thousand miles, it seems). The grinding is a new one.

There's a BMW TSB out for the motor mount bracket bolts failing...so it should have been covered.