E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335 exhaust question

10-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
jho
Independent Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

335 exhaust question

Before anyone posts I already tried searching. [Has it occured to anyone that the reason so many stupid questions are posted is because the "search" feature is not super helpful?]

That said, I just got my car back from the shop and noticed that the exhaust is much louder than before. I'm not sure what the problem is (will be taking it back) but it's too aggressive for my taste.

In trying to diagnose the problem, I was wondering:

1. I know that only 1 exhaust is used until the engine warms up. I seem to recall it's the driver side (left) exhaust. Is this correct? The other exhaust is much blacker than I remember it.

2. Where is the ”actuator connector" for the exhaust valve in an E93? I suspect that might not have been connected right.

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions!
J

09 E93 M-Sport. Stock FTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

The valve is on the driver's side in a coupe and I'm guessing it's the same for your car so that means it's the passenger side exhaust that is working when you start the car. You can see it if you look inside the pipes. If you get underneath the car you can also see the vacuum line that is connected to the valve and you can easily reach it with your hand. You can check to see if that is attached firmly. On the coupe, you can get to the electrical connection from inside the trunk by pulling off the back panel of the liner - again, on the driver's side. I'm guessing that's the same in your car too. If both of those look OK then you should at least call the dealer. I also heard that certain software updates can change the way the exhaust sounds (i.e. louder as you describe). Look on your service invoice to see if they did that and perhaps give them a call to ask. Hope this helps and let us know how you make out.
Appreciate 0