E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Your thoughts

10-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Your thoughts

Ok, current track setup is Koni Yellows and H&R sports. Got myself Camber plates and looking to get the hotchkis sways.

What are your thoughts on this setup, and for those who have installed hotchkis, what are your settings F/R? (The long route would be to set full soft F/R and make small adjustments till I get it right).

Thanks, any comments would be much appreciated.
      10-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Why not get M3 sways? Anyhow, if you're doing LSD soon then I would just do those two together, along with M3 subframe bushings, doing all of them together will save you a ton on labor.

Then maybe get some coilovers after that? I think you'll notice a big difference because the H&R springs is not good for performance at all. Adjustable sway bars are kinda pointless IMO, adjustable coilovers would be much more helpful.

Btw did you get the Vorshlag camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I am not sure the sways are necessary if your suspension is tuned properly. I would get the camber plates though...having minimal camber in front stinks.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yes, I got the Vorslag camber plates from Harold HP Autowerks, not yet installed. What some have been saying, not sure how accurate, is that if your setup have too much roll it kind of makes the use of camber plates useless.

Now, if true, how do you go about minimizing roll, through the use of stiffer springs/dampers/coilovers only, or also with sways. You both seem to be saying the sways are not necessary.

Appreciate your input
      10-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
I think the fact that you're getting LSD should be a factor as well. I wouldn't go with Hotchkis because they're tuned on a factory car without LSD iirc. M3 sways should work better imo if you have LSD. With M3 sways, LSD, and all the other M3 bits, you should have a better suspension set up than factory M3 once you switch to some properly set up coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Great points! Thanks. Have been resisting going the coilover route, since I did not want anything extreme as Montreal roads are the worst.

So I have no choice but to compromise Track and (bad) Street. Doing a good job of it is what is difficult, with so many options and so little knowledge.