10-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Buying between dealerships

Good-day One and All,

My first venture into this forum.....deep breath....here goes!

Having spent years driving various sensible cars for numerous reasons such as kids, dog, kids, holidays touring the UK, kids etc, the kids are finally off hand and the time has come for me to put such sensible things away and buy the car I've been wanting to get for years......an M3 convertible. I've spent untold hours looking through the colours and spec I want as well as deliberating the age old question, buying new or nearly new. Decided for nearly new. Managed to get a test drive in a manual coupe (dealer couldn't source a vert), needless to say, once driven I knew I had made the right choice re car, instant addict! I am finally armed with all the info I need......all accept one snipet of info that I now turn to you guys for, hence the question I now pose.

I have built up a rapore with a nearby dealership, who organised the test drive. I have seen the car in the colour and spec I want, via the BMW website, the only snag is that its in a dealership miles from me. Is there room to haggle with my nearby dealership. Does anyone have any advice/tips/guidance in getting a good price in such circumstances. I know this sounds like I'm a complete novice but I've never spent this sort of money on a car before and want to get a good deal and not walk away feeling like i've just bent over picking up a bar of soap in a prison shower!

Any advice/tips/thoughts/guidance would be most welcomed. Needless to say pics will follow of my new addition

Many thanks.......

Flapps
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 E83 // Mini Cooper S vert

Hey Flapps,

Been down the same road myself not that long ago. Tried to source an M3 through my local dealership and they went out of their way to get me a drive even though they didn't have a car in stock. Built up a good relationship with the salesman, but when I told him I could source nearly new for £15k below what they were asking he told me to go for it, he couldn't match.

I found the car via the BMW website, bit the bullet. Sold my Audi to the dealership in Crewe as PX for the M3 and haven't looked back. The best experience I've had in buying and selling. Got great price for my Audi, found the nearly new M3 had only 15 miles on the clock after being advertised as 500. I'd recommend anyone to give it a go.

Besides, your existing dealer can pick up the servicing post sale anyway, so they get something in return anyway.

If you're getting the car in the spec you want at the right price don't feel guilty about it....rejoice!
      10-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Haggling depends on your local dealership; if their business is good, then absolutely no chance and most BMW dealerships are quite arrogant unless you know them well.

Distance should not put you off, as I picked up my old E46 M3 from the BMW dealership in Manchester (all the way from London) as it was about £1500 cheaper that most.
      10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienzod View Post
Hey Flapps,

If you're getting the car in the spec you want at the right price don't feel guilty about it....rejoice!
+1 couldn't agree more, if you find it then travel for it, it will be worth it

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Gents,

Well having read all your helpful comments and speaking to others, it looks as though i'm off to the dealership far away to get the car. Hopefully It'll be in my clutches in the next 4 days or so. As promised pics will follow, and to top it all I feel like a teenager again as a result........

Last edited by Flapps; 10-06-2009 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
chrism1970
Rep
Drives: M3 E92,DCT,Silvertone2.

Hi mate,
As the lads have said,travel for the right car and deal,i did,flight from Newcastle to gatwick,then broadoak Bmw of Ashford picked me up for the 50 mile journey,all was in place and could not have been happier.

Great drive home,you get to know ya car,but dont fiddle with the new mass of gadgets or you know what might happen!!!!

Good luck fella,enjoy your search.

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Chris......hoping to find the ejector seat button amongst the mass of gadgets, for when the wife starts complaining!
      10-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Go for it! I found the right car at a dealership down south and went there to have a look and then purchase. Always haggle ... and don't forget the GAP Insurance!
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0