E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Location of speaker wires

10-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
e90bmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325

Question Location of speaker wires

I'm going to install a six channel amplifier in the trunk, with high level inputs.
I want to connect it to all speakers in the car, subwoofers, front and rear.

For the rear speakers and the subwoofers there is no problem.
I will install new wires for the subwoofers and take the input from the rear speakers.

I have the standard speaker system without any amplifier. All speakers are now powered by the HU.

My question is:
Does anyone know if the speaker wires to the front doors are routed via the trunk?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
If you have the BMW professional without the amplifier, then the wires don't go via the boot. The car is pre-wired for an amp, so there are wires, but they are not connected to the front speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Look at the alpine amp retrofit in the UK section, shows where you can get the speakers from in the front door sills.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw View Post
I'm going to install a six channel amplifier in the trunk, with high level inputs.
I want to connect it to all speakers in the car, subwoofers, front and rear.

For the rear speakers and the subwoofers there is no problem.
I will install new wires for the subwoofers and take the input from the rear speakers.

I have the standard speaker system without any amplifier. All speakers are now powered by the HU.

My question is:
Does anyone know if the speaker wires to the front doors are routed via the trunk?

I don't understand why you thought that there are speaker wires in the trunk if there is no trunk mounted amplifier in your car.

You need to run new speaker wires, both to the OEM HU and also to each woofer under the seats, thus 6-channels.

The front doors speaker wires are wired in parallel to the underseat woofers and then they are directly connected to the OEM HU. There is a cap connected between the woofers and the 4" drivers as well. So you need to cut that parallel connection and run new, individual wires to each woofer. Then run new wires to the back of the OEM HU Quadralock connector for inputs and outputs (door and real shelf speakers only) of the 6-channel amplifier.
Appreciate 0