E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JL install update. PLEASE READ

09-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
JL install update. PLEASE READ

Ok to sum up my other post.
I installed a JL 1000/1 amp and a 13.5W7.
The amp was cutting off at high volumes and the low voltage indicator flashes.
The car is having long cranking starts in the morning but after driving around for a little it starts right away.

Ok so i pretty much thought it was definitely the battery bc i was having bad starts and the bass was cutting out. So yesterday i installed an optima yellow top. Well after a few bass hits it started cutting out just like with the OEM battery and now this morning im having the same bad starts.

Now what can the issue be??

Last thing is the TVinmotion i installed, could that be keeping something on when the car is off??
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I'd check all of your connections. Maybe a bad ground or something loose in the fuse block. Either of these could definitely cause what you're explaining to occur.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

If anything was draining your battery while the car was off, you would either have a weak or dead battery the next day. But you alternator should charge the battery properly once you turn the car on and you should not be getting any severe voltage drops like that. Bottom line is there is not enough juice going to your amp while the car is running. I hate to say it but this is starting to sound like a bad alternator.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Hate to say it but that the is one MONSTER amp, and the 3-series alternator isn't quite cut out for the job. You realize that an alternator isn't designed to always be running and charging a battery in a car right? It will kick on and off when it needs to and leave the constant running of electrical systems in the car to the battery. Well when your voltage dips below 12 volts with every bass hit your alternator is contantly going to be signalled to turn on and will be running trying to charge that big new heavy duty battery you got. That will wear it out faster than normal by quite a bit.

Look at some of my old threads from a while ago, I used to have a JL500.1 and 300.2 running in my e90 and that was pushing it. A JL 1000.1 is nuts. That amp has some great features that that will output the same amount of power from 1.5-8 Ohms and it does that by increasing the amount of current it pulls from the battery, which will drop the voltage if it can't keep up.

Time to pay a high performance alternator shop big bucks to make you a custom alternator and install that puppy! Good Luck!

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

OK, I read it.

You need a pro. You don't know anything about electricity - most people don't - but you need troubleshooting understanding, a digital voltmeter with ammeter capability, and past experience tells me that walking somebody through this with no technical expertise is a poor choice.

You're in Long Island - go to a good shop.

The 1000 is a current hog, that is true. But the way your car is behaving, it might be the TV piece. This can readily be tested with a DVM in ammeter mode and is all guesswork without that test.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Ok I fixed the low voltage issue by redoing the power and ground wires. The terminals on the amp were loose also. I took the amp apart and fixed the terminals an then I bolted the wires and box down to avoid movement. I went out to eat tonight, about 3hrs of driving and no drop outs!! So that issue is fixed.

I still do have the issue with the car having long starts. I'm thinking it's the tvinmotion, maybe I have it insalled incorrectly, when I put my ear close to the DVD player, with the car off, I hear something running like something is on. The sound is very low but I'm going to use a volt meter to see if it's on when the car is off. What do u guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I am running a image dynamics 1000 watt amp at 1 ohm and a 4 ch image amp without any voltage issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I have a friend with a 1000/1 in his E82 and he has no issues with voltage, dimming or otherwise. I figured what you were experiencing was something of power/ground issue, but not really sure what could be causing the long starts. I'm not sure what's involved in the tvinmotion install, but maybe pulling it out (temporarily) would be worth doing to check if the issue goes away...?
Appreciate 0