E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange sound during cold start

09-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Dankoristik
Rep
Drives: Black e90

Strange sound during cold start

Hey guys,
I will definitely see the dealer right away, but was curious if anyone had experienced or knows what this problem is. Only when I start up first thing in the morning, the engine makes this loud sort of metal to metal sound at the end of the intial rev. But through the course of the day when I start and stop it does nothing like this. The past couple of mornings this light has come on (I've attached the picture), anyone know what this one is? I had this serviced a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure If I'm low on any fluids. I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
-D
Attached Files
File Type: doc indication.doc (266.5 KB, 136 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankoristik
Hey guys,
I will definitely see the dealer right away, but was curious if anyone had experienced or knows what this problem is. Only when I start up first thing in the morning, the engine makes this loud sort of metal to metal sound at the end of the intial rev. But through the course of the day when I start and stop it does nothing like this. The past couple of mornings this light has come on (I've attached the picture), anyone know what this one is? I had this serviced a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure If I'm low on any fluids. I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
-D
Does this display on the top portion of the instrument cluster e.g. where the indicators are? Or in the screen portion where you can change the information displayed? I'll run out and take a look through my manual, the symbol is not ringing a bell.

For those of you who don't want to download the word file and open it, here's a screenie I took.
Attached Images

2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Your drawing is not so good, do you have a photo of the warning light?

About the noise, do you meam a fast 'tap tap tap tap' which lasts for a second or less?

If so, this is one of your hydraulic valve tappets just tightening up under load. They operate using the engine oil, so unless you have low oil, or a faulty tappet, they should be OK. This is what they are supposed to do. Mine does it if it's been left for 12 hours or so. You only need to worry if it starts to take longer for the noise to go away. A faulty tappet would NOT be shown on the dash.

You could mention it at service if you wanted, but IMO it's not a problem as yet.
      09-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I flipped through my whole manual but I can't find anything resembling this symbol.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankoristik
Hey guys,
-D
I did notice when cold sometimes I do hear this loud click at the end of initial rev -- just a single sound, not clicking. After that it runs smooth and quiet. And it does not happen all the time.

Let us know what you founf out from the dealer. How are you going to replicate the sound at the dealer?

No idea about the light.
Appreciate 0