E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bmw 320D Subwoofer and Amp Help

09-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
INeedHelp1234
Rep
Drives: 55plate 320D

Bmw 320D Subwoofer and Amp Help

Hi, Ive looked everywhere but cant find nothing. Basically i will make this as short as i can. I want to put a subwoofer and amp into my car, 1600 watts sub and 800watts amp. I want to do it properly. What i want to know is how will i go about doing this? Is there the 2 slots for me to plug the cables directly into the headunit like the new aftermarket ones? i hear there is a amp somewhere in the car and there are small subwoofers under the driver and passenger seat. Im from the UK (right hand drive car) Thank you in advance. Thanks once again.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
igotaweinerdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

take it to an audio install shop. your other amp is in the trunk on the opposite side of your batter. I suggest having a professional install it
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Do a search on this forum. There are a bunch of guys who have done this install before and posted great step by step blogs especially for other people to learn from.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
INeedHelp1234
Rep

Menno11: Ive looked everywhere. Spent like a whole day looking and cant find nothing.. Ive evan tryed looking on google and stuff and cant find nothing with uk cars

igotaweinerdog: I know alot, i know where the amp is but its not there on mine? but i do have the 2 smalls subs under the driver n passanger seat. So does that mean im looking in the wrong place?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
strider
England
Rep
Drives: 330 e90

Hi, some uk spec stereos do not have an external amp, like mine. its just powered by the head unit amp. There is no RCA's on the back of the head unit either so you have to either buy an amp that takes high powered inputs or buy a line converter to drop the voltage from your head unit to a RCA level
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d touring

Hi there,
first of all don't put "UK" when you search something, but use e90 e91... even if you guys drive on the other side of the rest of the world, car companies do project only once, making a couple of defects (such as steering wheel on the wrong side, no offence, just for fun, LOL)
The way you talk (electronically), makes me understand you are way far form trying to do a decent DIY, however if you wish to try you need a good 2-3 month search-study to understand: 1. how the bmw e90's serie has been made (hi fi wise) ; 2. how to upgrade it....
Enjoy the search!
cheers
Max
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Menno11
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Hi Bud,

I have the same model as you. It doesn't have an amp, everything runs off the head unit. I tapped off the rear speakers and ran a line-out converter into RCA's. This works as your input to the amp, if you get a line sensing LOC, then it will give your amp the remote on switch too. Then run power and earth cables directly from the battery (with in-line fuse). Placement of the items in the boot is up to your own personal taste. Read through the blog below for further details, Technic is one of the most informed people on this forum and posted a very detailed install, take time to work through it and you'll be roaring to go!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+install
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
INeedHelp1234
Rep

Strider: Yeh my amp has a high input. Is that the best way or shall i use the RCA's?

Wurz154: No i dont put UK on there. Ive searched everywhere for versions like my car but cant find nothing. And I'm not as stupid as you think. i know quite alot about it. I know how to upgrade two, i just want to know what other people have done. I know you have to use the Rca cables from the headunit to the amp, i also know you can do it by tapping into the speaker cables but that is not as good.

Menno11: You have been the most helpfull. Thank you alot for your help.

Everyone else is welcome to post. Im open to everyones views.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d touring

Hi there, I was waiting for an answer like that.... first of all, allow me. how old are you?
second, I don't recall having said stup.. anywhere in my post ever!
then again, if you tell you know a lot about upgrading, and answer as: "I know you have to use the Rca cables from the headunit to the amp", allow me again electronically speaking you need to search/study a bit more, no offence everyone started as you did, but I would be careful touching a beauty as a bimmer to start with...
Anyhow the alpine upgrade might be the best way out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182752

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
Menno11
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
If your amp has a high input port, then by all means use it! The LOC just has the added benefit of the remote-on function. On my model (and I assume yours is the same if you have no amp) the rear speakers have full range without cross-over and is easy to tap into from inside the cabin and feed through to the boot via the parcel shelf (just unscrew the rear speakers, tap and feed through). Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0