BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Next Car Choice…. some help needed!

My current car is on a 24 month lease and even though I still have over 6 months to go I have been asked to order the replacement.

So that $64,000 question – what next?

Well initially I thought chaos J Why not go for something a bit mad and get a Focus RS? The inner chav in me loves the Focus RS for it’s madness, extravagant head turning looks and crazy noises. But, and I do concede, it is a tad chav and everyone that I have spoken too has shaken their head and given me the same bemused and shocked look and asked the same question why?

After having 2 Honda S2000’s I had decided not to get the same car twice again, so what else is there to replace my 135? The key problem being that I can only purchase up to a set value – around £30k list price. I did consider the TTS, but the engine is naff in comparison to the 135.

Then from nowhere someone in the office asks if I have noticed that all BMW’s have been discounted through our lease company. So I take a gander and notice that the 135i Convertible has appeared… mmmm never really thought about that.

Anyway, enough of the waffling – I need some help:

1) Has anyone driven both coupe and convertible? Any thoughts? Any major handling differences?
2) I am considering going for Black with Coral – got White with Coral at the moment so think I need to change colour a bit. So my next question is: Does anyone have a pic of Black with Lemon interior as that’s my other choice.

Will stick to the similar extras as I currently have, so:
Leather, Xenon's, USB, Logic7... but also add: Heated seats, folding mirrors and considering DAB. Have I missed anything, does it need the Windblocker?

Thanks in advance!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Hi Moff

Just my opinion.....surely a 135 vert would not drive as nice as the coupe - wouldn't you be disappointed with that? Once the novelty goes for the roof also.....

I'm a little like you dont like the same car twice. If it was me I'd go for the RS, it is a tad chav - but who cares!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

TTRS with a tune!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ive driven both the coupe and the vert.

The handling differences are mostly neglegible at 7/10ths. Ive done cruises where ive eaily kept up with the coupes. Although I do have Pilot Sport PS2s on my car.
The vert is nearly as quite as the coupe as the top is nicely insulated.

And to the post above. Dropping the top never gets old...especially with an N54 breathing fire 3 ft in front of you.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I had two previous S2000's and roof remained down unless in rain, so the roof thing won't get tiring.

It's giving up some the the chassis strength thats worrying. I am waiting to test a vert to see if I can notice the difference. My wife previously had a 330Ci cab and there was a big difference between her car in the coupe, but I have read in a few reviews that there isn't a notable difference between the 135 cab and the coupe.

Assuming that it drives nearly as nice I think i am going to go for it, but the test drive will be the real test for me and will make the decision.

Next tough decision is colour.... I love white with red, I really think it's a perfect combination and a bit of a head turner, but do I go for the same twice or change to black and red.

There's an aussie on the forums with a black with red and the car looks stunning, but does it look better than red and white??? Not easy to find the pics on here either.

Anyone got any thoughts about the need for the wind blocker?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
TTRS with a tune!!
Silly money for the TTRS and if I could afford it, I would buy a Cayman S everytime.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep

Did you try the Audi moff? The TTS I mean, I have, you may be surprised by how good it is...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

TTS or 370z
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep

Hey..theres another option, good thought
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
135Dan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry135 View Post
Did you try the Audi moff? The TTS I mean, I have, you may be surprised by how good it is...
Sorry to butt in - but I thought the engine in the TTS was nowhere as near as good as the 135i. The 135i pulls harder and handles better in my opinion. The only thing I like more about the TTS is the quality of the finish on the interior - It definitely has the 135i on that.

Moff,

Wouldn't the front wheel drive and torque steer of the RS taint your driving experience, having come from several RWD cars?

I have been tempted by the Z4 sDrive35i but that's a bit more than your £30 grand upper limit. Anyone test driven one?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't seem to justify the price tag of the Z4 - why is it so damn expensive when it has the same engine, inferior steering, inferior brakes etc?? It does look good though and the interior is gorgeous!

The TTS engine is actually very good, not a tuned 2.0 but a 5 cyliner 2.5, harking back to the good old days. Apparently it's very easy to remap to 400bhp too.

I did consider the 370Z, but decided against as the lease costs are extortinate due to the very poor residuals. Surprisingly the reviews don't seem to be that great either?? I was a big fan of the last 350Z Coupe, but the drive in the roadster was very different and nowhere near as good (too much scuttle shake and flexing).

I think the decision has been made, but I will confirm once I have had test drive. The main choice now is whether to order black or stick with white again which I love????

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Can't seem to justify the price tag of the Z4 - why is it so damn expensive when it has the same engine, inferior steering, inferior brakes etc?? It does look good though and the interior is gorgeous!

The TTS engine is actually very good, not a tuned 2.0 but a 5 cyliner 2.5, harking back to the good old days. Apparently it's very easy to remap to 400bhp too.

I did consider the 370Z, but decided against as the lease costs are extortinate due to the very poor residuals. Surprisingly the reviews don't seem to be that great either?? I was a big fan of the last 350Z Coupe, but the drive in the roadster was very different and nowhere near as good (too much scuttle shake and flexing).

I think the decision has been made, but I will confirm once I have had test drive. The main choice now is whether to order black or stick with white again which I love????
I've driven the Z4 and it really is a work of art. In a nutshell it does everything the 135i does with the WOW factor. I had the new Z4 for a weekend and the 135i is definitely the drivers car though.

Also, I believe the engine you are talking about is actually the TTRS engine - 5 cylinder 2.5litre. I'm pretty sure the TTS engine is a 4 cylinder 2.0litre. Although, the N54 is a lot more powerful than the TTS engine in stock form, there are several tunes available for the TTS now.

I drove the 370z a few months back. An unbelievable car at an unbelievable price. I personally am a huge fan of the zed cars and the 370z is basically the 350z tweaked to perfection. If it was FI I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. It's definitely worth considering on your short list.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry I meant TTRS in the above... seem to have got in a fuddle with the posts, confusing the TTS and RS... unforgiveable as a car geek I wouldn't consider the TTS, It's gorgeous, but not a fan of the S3's engine, quick - but souless.

I think the convertible 135 could be fun, especially as you get to hear the engine more. Will get a BMS DCI and do the golf tee mod again to enhance even more.

Isn't is a shame that the best looking (IMO) mid price roadster is also the worst to drive? I love the Alfa Spider, especially in white - but it's FWD and ridculously heavy. RWD with that 3.2 pumped up to 270bhp would probably be good fun.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Perhaps they will bring out a 135i special lightweight version as a farewell to the current 1 Series...... with the Power kit as standard.......

Then again pigs might........
      09-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I had two previous S2000's and roof remained down unless in rain, so the roof thing won't get tiring.

It's giving up some the the chassis strength thats worrying. I am waiting to test a vert to see if I can notice the difference. My wife previously had a 330Ci cab and there was a big difference between her car in the coupe, but I have read in a few reviews that there isn't a notable difference between the 135 cab and the coupe.

Assuming that it drives nearly as nice I think i am going to go for it, but the test drive will be the real test for me and will make the decision.

Next tough decision is colour.... I love white with red, I really think it's a perfect combination and a bit of a head turner, but do I go for the same twice or change to black and red.

There's an aussie on the forums with a black with red and the car looks stunning, but does it look better than red and white??? Not easy to find the pics on here either.

Anyone got any thoughts about the need for the wind blocker?

I've seen a black with red vert in a showroom, very nice indeed, and i've also seen a black with lemon, also very nice indeed, but what I would say is that the black/lemon combi looks a touch 'mercedes', if anyone knows what I mean?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

If i got a 135i vert I would get BSM and Lemon Interior!!!

It looks sick!!!! A real headturner!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopster View Post
I've seen a black with red vert in a showroom, very nice indeed, and i've also seen a black with lemon, also very nice indeed, but what I would say is that the black/lemon combi looks a touch 'mercedes', if anyone knows what I mean?

My vote is SG with a coral interior. Sport with Piano Black Trim.

for some reason Coral interior just looks really good with grey/silver

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
JBizzle135i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'd go for the 135i vert if it was me
M235i Auto: Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminium / High-gloss Black Interior, Driver Comfort / Professional Media / Sun Protection Packages, Harman Kardon Hi-Fi, Enhanced Bluetooth, Lumbar & Heated Seats, Adaptive M Sport Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

The best car to get is the Z4M soft top.... 5 sec car and it's a head turner. I wanted one myself!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
I didn't like the vert when I first saw it, but I've decided now that it looks sweet with the top down. IMO I think the soft top is a tad tacky, but def SGM with either lemon or coral interior for a little POP...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I just cant understand why people keep saying the 135i is a 'driver's car'?? I have driven several cars that are definitely drivers cars: a turbo MX5 a Lotus Elise and a Boxster. The 135i has got a stonking engine but feels so disconnected and wallowy compared to these (what I classify as) drivers cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
there are several tunes available for the TTS now.
This car has sparked my interest recently. Can you point me to a website(s) that is tuning these now and what sort of numbers we're talking about with the chips/flashes? TIA
Appreciate 0