E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth problem

09-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
nealwilson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bluetooth problem

I love the hands free phone but have a problem.
Incoming calls sound great. Outgoing call made by dialing on the actual cell phone sound great. But... outgoing calls made by dialing using the car's phone interface causes the driver's voice to be heard through the speakers. (however the call sounds OK to the recipient.) It is very strange. I can hear myself but there is not a "howling" feedback. Just my voice and the voice of the person I am calling. So far the dealers are stumped.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

That sounds like a phone problem - specifically, it sounds like the phone isn't shutting off the internal microphone when told to do so by the car.

Think of it this way:

You dial from phone. The phone transfers the call to the car and shuts the microphone (and speaker) off.

You dial from car and the car tells the phone what number to dial and takes over both the speaker and the microphone - only the phone doesn't shut off the phone's microphone (and maybe not the earpiece either)

While it is possible that this is a car issue, it is more likely a phone issue. Try pairing a different phone and test to see if the problem persists. If it goes away then it is a phone issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

cb1111 is right. ive seen this problem on my friends bluetooth 2. we tried it with my phone and it worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Yeah, if you ever have problems with bluetooth, its usually the unit and not the car... my last phone, motorola KRZ or something...worked with no problems. nobody could ever tell if i was on my bluetooth or not. Now i have the LG GLIMMER and everyone complains about how lousy it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
nealwilson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for all the input. I'll try another phone.
Appreciate 0