E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Running speaker level inputs to amp (Also question about best sub/amp combo)

09-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
carl_lazlo
Doctor of Journalism
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 92 335i Sapphire Black

Running speaker level inputs to amp (Also question about best sub/amp combo)

I just had my amp installed yesterday and I had a quick question for you all. The installer tapped into the wires that run from the factory amp to the subs under the seat and ran the tapped wires to the speaker level inputs on the alpine sub.

Will this cause any problems since the factory subs are still connected to those wires? (Impedance mismatch, etc.)

I'm back off to the shop today because after about an hour of playing, the system is not working. The blue light on the alpine amp is flickering and there is no sound from the sub. I think there may be some loose power connection to the amp since that blue light shows when the amp has power, but the amp itself may be bad, not sure yet.

Last edited by carl_lazlo; 09-09-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

What aftermarket amp is this?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
carl_lazlo
Doctor of Journalism
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 92 335i Sapphire Black

Alpine M-350 with speaker lvl inputs. If the amp is bad I will be replacing it with the new Alpine M-500. I guess if the amp is bad I don't ahve to go with an alpine amp, are there better sub amps for the money that have speaker lvl inputs?

Also, I have a 10" alpine sub with this setup. Are alpine subs good or is there something better for the money?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The OEM amp puts out a peak of 40W into each woofer, so it is more or less in line with what the MRP350 amp can take at its high level inputs. Those high level inputs in the MRP350 have an input impedance of 40K ohms, so from the point of view of the OEM amp there's nothing connected other than the OEM woofers at its outputs.

In other words, your MRP350 should be working fine the way it is connected.

What could be happening is that the OEM remote is borderline acceptable as the turn on for this amp, so it swithes the amp on and off intermittently. This is not unusual for the OEM remote, as its operational voltage is between 10 to 12V.

Use a relay to really be sure that there is a solid 12V swiching signal as your remote. Your installer should know how to wire a relay to the OEM remote to accomplish just that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_lazlo View Post
I just had my amp installed yesterday and I had a quick question for you all. The installer tapped into the wires that run from the factory amp to the subs under the seat and ran the tapped wires to the speaker level inputs on the alpine sub.

Will this cause any problems since the factory subs are still connected to those wires? (Impedance mismatch, etc.)

I'm back off to the shop today because after about an hour of playing, the system is not working. The blue light on the alpine amp is flickering and there is no sound from the sub. I think there may be some loose power connection to the amp since that blue light shows when the amp has power, but the amp itself may be bad, not sure yet.
What is the frequency response of the factory amp output to the underseat speakers? Does it have attenuation of low frequencies below 50 Hz? If it does, that will significantly degrade the performance of your subwoofer.

If you have a power problem, you should have used the switched 12V from the center console for your remote turn on, like I told you to do yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
cassey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Check the ground wire for the amp.