E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > my day at BMW Spartanburg

09-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
my day at BMW Spartanburg

Just returned from a corporate outing to BMW, and all I can say is HOLY SHIITE, what a day!

In a half-day event, we got to drive the X5, Z4, M5, M3, 550i, 760il, 330i, and 650i (coupe & convertible). There were 4 "events" - we started off on an offroad course in X5's. 2 drivers per vehicle, no BMW personnel riding along. It was raining cats and dogs all day, which didn't dampen the experience at all and probably made it more interesting at times. Then it was on to a "rat race" in Z4's, where one car chases another around a very tight oval. Then over to a road course where we got to drive the vast variety of machines, and lastly an autocross course (all 330i's for this one) which was timed and prizes were given out for the best times.

What a blast to drive some of the other hardware. The M5 is just a beast, there's no words to properly describe it. The V10 has a howl like nothing I've ever heard. The only thing I didn't care for was that almost everything had SMG gearboxes. This was my first experience with them, and now I understand why they're widely bashed by the automotive press. It was particularly clunky and crummy in the Z4, and not much better in anything else. The M5 just cries out for a 6-speed manual (which will finally be available in the US shortly).

The final event of the day was being taken out for "hot lap" ride-alongs with the pro drivers at the wheel of M3's (which were 6-speed manuals). In a driving rainstorm, a leadfooted instructor in an M3 is a sure recipe for some crazy fun. Part of the course is a giant skidpad and on my run we did a high-speed 360.. what a blast!

Finally got to see the 335i in the flesh, they had one in the lobby. Now I want one, dammit!

Like a bonehead I neglected to bring my camera along on the trip out here so I have nothing to post, which sucks because there were a ton of great photo ops. Oh well, next time.. I'm sure I'll be back as my employer is headquartered here in Greenville and does corporate events there all the time.
      09-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

where do you work? ill apply immediately hahaha!! your employer is awesome!
      09-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
where do you work? ill apply immediately hahaha!! your employer is awesome!
+1

would've loved to see some pics....next time?

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Just returned from a corporate outing to BMW, and all I can say is HOLY SHIITE, what a day!

In a half-day event, we got to drive the X5, Z4, M5, M3, 550i, 760il, 330i, and 650i (coupe & convertible). There were 4 "events" - we started off on an offroad course in X5's. 2 drivers per vehicle, no BMW personnel riding along. It was raining cats and dogs all day, which didn't dampen the experience at all and probably made it more interesting at times. Then it was on to a "rat race" in Z4's, where one car chases another around a very tight oval. Then over to a road course where we got to drive the vast variety of machines, and lastly an autocross course (all 330i's for this one) which was timed and prizes were given out for the best times.

What a blast to drive some of the other hardware. The M5 is just a beast, there's no words to properly describe it. The V10 has a howl like nothing I've ever heard. The only thing I didn't care for was that almost everything had SMG gearboxes. This was my first experience with them, and now I understand why they're widely bashed by the automotive press. It was particularly clunky and crummy in the Z4, and not much better in anything else. The M5 just cries out for a 6-speed manual (which will finally be available in the US shortly).

The final event of the day was being taken out for "hot lap" ride-alongs with the pro drivers at the wheel of M3's (which were 6-speed manuals). In a driving rainstorm, a leadfooted instructor in an M3 is a sure recipe for some crazy fun. Part of the course is a giant skidpad and on my run we did a high-speed 360.. what a blast!

Finally got to see the 335i in the flesh, they had one in the lobby. Now I want one, dammit!

Like a bonehead I neglected to bring my camera along on the trip out here so I have nothing to post, which sucks because there were a ton of great photo ops. Oh well, next time.. I'm sure I'll be back as my employer is headquartered here in Greenville and does corporate events there all the time.

Did you drive the new x5 ? If so how was it ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Kevin Kevin Kevin...may your next car be a beetle....hahahahahhahaahha..hey it's still german
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI
Kevin Kevin Kevin...may your next car be a beetle....hahahahahhahaahha..hey it's still german
Been there/done that! 2 of my first 3 cars were aircooled beetles in the 70's. I'm well past that stage, thankyouverymuch. Maybe a New Beetle with a massive blown VR6? Naah!

We did drive the X5. I'm not much of an SUV guy but I was VERY impressed with its capabilities. It was absolutely pouring down rain when were were out on the offroad course and we went through wild raging waters of about 20" deep, climbed crazy hills, got the suckers sideways on inclines under one side, used the hill descent control coming down a major downhill, etc. All was handled with aplomb.

My employer is a company called ScanSource, we're the largest distributor of barcoding/auto ID/RFID/POS products on the planet. The event going on this week is our annual schmooze for our top customers, the BMW trip was one of several "leisure activities" offered for the final day of the event.