E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i auto test

09-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
hedhuntr
Rep
Drives: volvo

335i auto test

I have been waiting for this car for sometime. I drove Cayman S's, Vette's, lexus, etc. Basically everything within $30k price range. I ordered one without driving it because my experience with BMW has been outstanding as far as overall driving is concerned. The one I tested had sport and auto. I didn't order sport on mine as I felt they already sport tuned the coupes so ... why bother. I don't like very harsh rides on day to day and with the 325/330's I drove with sport, they were a bit bouncy and harsh on hard stuff here. The ones with regular suspension were great but alittle cushy so I thought this would be the perfect compromise. With this car being lighter I thought sport would be too much.The roads in NC are not know to be like glass.
The car actually exceeded my lofty expectations. The power was incredible and always on. I drove for about a half hour with my salesman who knows I am nuts. I just can't say enough good things about this car. Incredible, let alone for the money. The Cayman S was close in driving feel, maybe on par, but this car is $25k cheaper comparably equipped and seats two more folks. The interior is bmw standard, nothing great really in my eyes, just ok, but I am getting it to drive. The only thing I would change is MAYBE, just maybe, I would have ordered the sport package as it handled so incredible well and was only a tiny bit harsh on some real rough stuff. I did 45 degree turns at close to 50, did tight (I mean very tight) traffic circles at close to 40 with the sales rep pinned and me definitley feeling the side bolster and barely hanging on and this thing never skipped, squeaked, rolled, nothing. It was flawless. He did have me keep the DTC engaged, probably better for both of us.
It seemed as though there may have been a little turbo lag but it may also have been the tranny. When I put it in sport mode or manual shifted I didn't feel it. Can't explain that but it's just the way it felt. When I ge tmine I'll experiment a little. Did anyone else notice that? I only picked it up in regular tranny mode. The acceleration was awesome. Sometimes just the sheer force of the acceleration took me by surprise. Again, the vette may have 400plus HP but this feels faster somehow. You think about passing and by the time your mind is there you are already around the car and need to get back over. It's quick and agile and almost anticipates what you want. I will ave to get used to having that much power however. The stangs and vett'es and infinitis' simply don't take off like that. Those other cars I drove feel like tanks compared to this. Everything else is standard BMW, the looks are better than the sedans in my opinion, it looks subtly fast but classy somehow. This one was titanium and it was too light for my tastes. The black one they had looked OK but the silver rings REALLY stood out. I ordered Space grey, would have preferred maybe the dark blue but the darker colors seems to loose too much of the look of the car so.... The lighter blue looked too wimpy for me and the red looked corny. We'll find out in a week or so. The ship docks 16 September they tell me.
Summary. Absolutely incredible driving charactersitics, power that is hard to understand in a car this size. This is a winner. I'm glad I waited two years. The germans can't market, can't design a luxury interior or a cup holder for that matter, but they make cars that drive incredibly well.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just so you know...
sport or non-sport the suspension is the same for both.

The big difference is the seats.
Sport has *much* better* seats......
Be sure to check in case you want to modify your order.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I loved the 335 too, and I plan on ordering one in a couple months but...I'm sorry but the Cayman S drove MUCH better. If price were comparable, I'd be in the CS. The base cayman was different however...definitely the 335 over the base cayman.
      09-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
hedhuntr
Rep

different strokes

Well I guess that's why there all of these cars. I loved the cayman s, really, but don't see a difference (other than the cayman was a bit low and cramped for me) and I think the 335i is quicker. The sales rep took tha tthing to 120 in a few seconds but this BMW seems quicker. I couldn't stop smiling when driving that cayman but... I just like the BMW.

The sport package? I don't know. I figured for the extra bucks they would tune it up and that's what three salesmen and the bmw info told me. For that money I would assume they would give you more than paddle shifters and a different seat (althought this is the same company that wants $500 for key fob entry!) but... really I don't care except I REALLY REALLY liked the one I drove with sport. If what you are saying is true I am even happier! If anyone knows defintively that the shocks, tuning etc, are the same please point me to the source of the info. I would ove to know. This car was so well balanced and so responsive and handled the bumps and insanse maneuvers I threw it into so well I could only hope they are not different. The one I drove had the sport package with paddle shifters (which I never used and don't like really, they get int the way when I am throwing it in and out of corners and turning the wheel like a maniac) and I would assume 18" wheels. It was INCREDIBLE. I HOPE my standard, non-sport, drives as nicely. It was a wet dream. The week after I get it I am taking it the mountains of NC, Tennesee, KY with my son and an ample supply of motion sickness bags for him. I will drive the Tail of the Dragon, Cherhola Skyway, Blueridge Pkway, Skyline and more for a week. Just like God intended. Have to get it broken in first. I don't think that will be a problem....... If I have any major issues after delivery I will post here.
Good luck to all!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

If you really love driving, you HAVE to get the sport pack.
There have been many more who regret not getting it than who regret getting it...

The coupe suspensions are sport tuned in both 335 and 328; they are exactly the same. You don't have to believe us, just ask your salesguy.
The only differences are the steering wheels, tires/wheels, and seats. If you are not unusually overweight, the sport seats are a must if you like taking corners fast and pin your passengers to the window (as you did to the salesguy in your testdrive!).
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Just so you know...
sport or non-sport the suspension is the same for both.

The big difference is the seats.
Sport has *much* better* seats......
Be sure to check in case you want to modify your order.
I thought there was an extra tweak to the rear suspension on the sport models? Didn't the first car and driver article say something about a base sport suspension and the sport package?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
hedhuntr
Rep

sport suspension

I read 10? reviews and 3 specifically mentioned the sport being stiffer etc. than the "normal" a few said you HAVE to get it and a few said the "normal" was great and recommended against it unless you wanted to be pounded (two of those contradicting views were the articles where some the car mags had the same cars in San Fran, one said great, one said don't do it). I couldn't decipher it all and it seemed like they were contradicting themselves. Again, different strokes for different folks. In any case what I drove was far superior to either the sport package or normal 330's I drove IMO. And my opinion of them was pretty darn good! Some of the confusion may be that the euro models (if you remember a lot of those first reviews were all based on the drives that UK etc. journalists took in the alps) were equipped differently because some mentioned the paddle shifters specifically with the "normal" suspension/package which you can't even get here. UK and Euro models as well as canadian, offer different options and limits right down to the paint. Don't know, I just made an educated guess based on past experience. Like I said if mine is tuned like the one I drove I am in heaven. I will put tons of miles on it here around the lakes we have before I run to the mountains to really test it. Someone was kind enough to post the owners manual here or on the E90 post pages and they said (maybe) 4500 rpm and 1200 mile break in. That's torture. This thing begs to be taken to red line.
Appreciate 0