E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Any tips on making a retractable tray?

09-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any tips on making a retractable tray?

I was thinking of making a carbon or leather covered thin box to put on my dash. I'd like to put a GPS screen, and maybe a radar detector, on a tray in it and either...

Have them automatically electrically deploy and retract when the power comes on and off. I have an old PC CD-ROM drive that I may be able to use for the sliders and motors, but I haven't figured out how to make it retract once the power is cut. Suggestions?

Alternatively, it'd be cool if it was one of those push to open/push to close sprung hinges, like what we have covering the ash tray, or like in a Lexus RX where a button push opens and closes it. If I go this route I'd probably just have the screen fold down on a hinge rather than come out on a tray. Any ideas on where I could get damped, sprung, hinges and latches like that? It'd preferably be a more powerful spring than your typical ash tray door.

I took kinematics in college, so I think I should be able to figure out all the pivots and linkages- it's just the actuators and hinges that I'm having trouble sourcing. What design I go with will depend on what parts I can find.

Is there an off-the-shelf solution for something like this?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Good luck! sounds interesting! No idea where to get the items, unless you check the scrap yards for old E90 dash parts.
Appreciate 0